'Violent' Drawings Lead to Felony Charges

!@#$%

Violent Drawings Lead to Felony Charges

Wed Jan 26,11:26 AM ET U.S. National - AP

OCALA, Fla. - Two boys were arrested for making pencil-and-crayon stick figure drawings depicting a 10-year-old classmate being stabbed and hung, police said. The children, charged with a felony, were taken from school in handcuffs.

The 9- and 10-year-old boys were arrested Monday and charged with making a written threat to kill or harm another person. They were also suspended from school.

One drawing showed the two boys standing on either side of the other boy and "holding knives pointed through" his body, according to a police report. The figures were identified by written names or initials.

Another drawing showed a stick figure hanging, tears falling from his eyes, with two other stick figures standing below him. Other pieces of scrap paper listed misspelled profanities and the initials of the boy who was allegedly threatened.

The boys' parents said they thought the children should be punished by the school and families, not the legal system.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...violent_drawing

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

what no pictures of the drawings?

That reminds me, this dude in my econ class once told me that in his old school there was this Indian guy who was an incredible debater, he would come up with an answer for anything. Anywho, one day in a debate the oppsosing team members are being real asses saying insulting racial comments and such. After the debate is over the Indian guy is pissed off so he writes on a piece of paper something along the lines of "whatever, once we can, India will kill these assholes with our nuclear weapons" just to vent. As he walks out he tosses the paper into the garbage bin.

Well the assholes on the other team take the piece of paper and show it to the principle, and the Indian guy gets his parents called over, he's expelled and is sent to a psychiatrist, not to mention recieveing a massive blow to his reputation.

i think the vast majority of people have drawn stuff about or relating to their FANTASIES.

there is something seriously going wrong in this country when the artwork of elementary school students is being censored and censured.

what is happening to the first ammendment in this country?

starting with the patriot act, then the "protest zone" at the DNC.

now this.

what next?

what about america is even worth fighting for anymore?

how can we proclaim freedom when our own definitions of freedom are being rewritten.

what price are we willing to pay to live in a society that we deem is politically correct?

Originally posted by symbols@Jan 27 2005, 09:12 PM

i think the vast majority of people have drawn stuff about or relating to their FANTASIES.

there is something seriously going wrong in this country when the artwork of elementary school students is being censored and censured.

now this.

what next?

how can we proclaim freedom when our own definitions of freedom are being rewritten.

what price are we willing to pay to live in a society that we deem is politically correct?

settledown....this wasnt a drawing of a boy slaying a dragon, this was a violent drawing done about a fellow classmate...now granted i think it would they would have been better off notifying parents, but we live in an age where its not surprising when a 10 year brings a gun to school...

these children are not being censored because of the violent drawing but rather because of the suggestion that the drawing makes...what if they planned on passing it to the kid? what if they were bullying the poor kid...what if they had plans to actually carry out what they were drawing...

to make such distressful cries of "is america worth fighting for" or claim this as a breach of first ammendment is wrong...you cant threaten someone and take cover under the first ammendment...

to try and make a strech comparison of the to bullshit that went down at the conventions or the regression of the patriot act is also crazy...after all there was no political message censored it was a violent drawing of what kids would do to another child...

this is not a question of being politically correct, rather this is a case of law enforcement going overboard, but erroring on the side of caution, and im sure once this goes to court all of it will be dismissed...

and you wouldnt think it was a travesty of demcracy if it was your kid being threatened...

haha., telling me to settle down.

many of those questions were rhetorical to spark a discussion.

no, i would NOT think it was a travesty if it were my son being threatened. i might have to ask him why those kids felt that way about him.

honestly, i wonder whether my questions are valid.

it seems like they are.

i don't think the things are too similar, EXCEPT THAT THEY IDENTIFY A TREND.

law enforcement becoming more and more overzealous

people have less and less room to express their viewpoints.

these kids are not radio djs on hot 97.

if they are bullying the kid, do you honestly think this could possibly help?

i haven't been out of school that long, but from what i remember, this kind of shit generally caused more duress for the person being bullied.

yeah, the charges will be dismissed.

but will it help ANYONE? the kids who did the drawings, the kid who is depicted in them.. i don't know.

but it seems like the "solution" is starting to do more harm than good.

i don't know, this is just another, in a long line of incidents, in which the government and law enforcement is taking a greater and greater role in people's lives.

i don't think that's a good thing.

now you settle down.

whether the questions are rhetorical or not, they certainly are not valid...

and as far as causing a discussion, i see no need to have a discussion on first ammendment rights, democracy or political correctness when the situation isnt even about any of those..

case after case has come before the courts and when you step inside the school the game changes...whether it be locker searches or police being called into due to possible threats, rights of children in school or not the same out of school...

if these kids actually stabbed this kid, everyone would be up in arms about why the teacher did not notify the proper authorities...

though ironically i guess a discussion was started about the lack of merits for a discussion...

haha...

shit i used to draw dead people, i also used to draw aliens, ghosts, and zombies and shit too. and in grade 2 i would write these gnarly stories about murders and dying and stuff. im not a gun wielding psychopath nowadays, i think that through drawing these things help kids come to terms with difficult things to grasp, like mortality. drawing one kid killing another from their class, is not a felony offence. it should be kept within the school's discipline system, the kids should be sent to counsellors to help to understand the whole situation. what is sending them through the legal sytem going to do to help them? they are just kids for fucks sake.

How many times have I seen kids bury each others heads in lockers and crack books over ppls brains.... which rarely would result in a suspension if that even.

Now the poor kid might think that not only do these kids hate him, but the police are against him as well. What are the motives for the threat, ?, is the ultimatum.

You ask anyone in school, they know who's an asshole and who gets picked on.... 9 times out of 10 the kid drawing the threat is the one who is too small and weak and unpopular to do anything about the violence he/she is ALREADY recieving. Which could result in the poor kid snapping and stabbing or shooting everyone.... I mean attack the root of the problem, not the symptoms. The problem is teachers, parents, authorities often have no clue what is really going on.... or maybe even taking sides themselves.

WTF...

I dunno... I'm with symbols on this... giving some kid a felony is not going to resolve the situation.... if drawings equal felony.... that's just stupid. I bet if they were to probe this further they would realize that this kid is fantasizing in self defense.

When I was in 5th grade I made a drawing of Hitler at a podium and there was a guy standing next to him with a gun to his head. My teacher took it away from me and I didn't hear anything about it until the next conference when it was shown to my parents. Back then I thought that the teacher was just trying to get me into trouble. But when I look back now, from what I can remember it was more like the teacher was trying to get an explanation from my parents, as to why I would draw something like that. To tell you the truth I don't even know why I was drawing shit like that at 5th grade.

My 11 year old nephew would be '3 strikes you're out' a hundred times over if these Ocala, Florida cops took a peek at his sketchbook. Everyone does questionable shit when they're growing up, it's all part of the learning process that's being undermined by this obsession with protecting children. Let a kid make a mistake for christ's sake, or else they'll be taking a side of prozac for kidz with their riddlin.

Nine and ten year olds getting felonies for a 'violent' drawing, that shit makes my blood curdle.

I know it sounds like guidance councilor shit, but people really need to embrace the fact that mistakes are just an opportunity to learn. Stop pointing the finger and learn.

Make like Jesus and humble yourself. hypocrites.

It is bullshit. It's like charging John Carpenter with a felony for making Halloween. When I was 10 years old I wrote a short story for class about a serial killer who kills cereal characters (get it? It's a play on words!). If I was 10 now and wrote that they would pump me full of ritalin and send me to a psychiatric ward (this happened, but much later and for different reasons). The fact that kids bring weapons to school now is not relevant. This kid was expressing himself through art and they're charging him with a felony and leading him out of his school in handcuffs. As if he could ever show his face in that school system again without having the burden of being "that weird, crazy kid" until he graduates high school. That's not how you solve problems, that's a sign of mind control. I keep saying it, this is the dawn of a new era.

in second grade i was drawing swastikas on my desk, completely oblivious to their meaning. i had seen my friend drawing them and thought they were cool designs. my second grade teacher happened to be jewish and flipped out when she saw them... that's my story.

as far as this story goes... i think it's pretty silly. felony charges for some drawings... c'mon....

Originally posted by symbols@Jan 27 2005, 04:12 PM

now this.

what next?

seriously, i 100% agree...this country has turned to shit...no freedom at all, not even allowed to draw a fucking picture on a piece of paper, what the fuck....that shit is not freedom at all....how is that being free? american citizens are robots of the goverment, whatever the laws say we have to follow....how is that being free? we have lawys that say we cant do certain things....but seriously, felonies for little kids drawing on paper? that is a joke, america is fucked up, i dont know much about other counties, but this one is just straight fucked up