vinyl figures

krs702

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i've been slowly learning how to create toys like this.. hadnt found much in the lines of mass production, but i've been crafting some out of fiberglass resin... they are a bit odder than here.. and only 1 of a kinds.. but they're pretty rad.

maybe i'll post pics.

anyone know of a good manufacturer to get ahold of?

look into 'injection molding' and learn how to make your own molds, that's the only way to really have quality control... take apart old dolls like GI Joe's and stuff to learn the engineering options... if you want mass production, look for somebody that can cast, paint and assemble or it will be too expensive...

dude, that price is stricly designed to keep people like you out of the market... if you can't do 10K runs they don't even really wanna talk to you, maybe at 50K you get a little respect...

*10K units, not $$

oh totally.. i feel that.

i prefer to keep my "characters" more sculptural.. i've just been VERY interested in the work etc.. and possibly doing something a bit bigger than what i'm doing now, reach a bigger audience.

maybe i'll hold out on the a4 and do a 500 set..

how do you know so much? you into it much at all?

if you wanna chat it up a bit about it i'd really like to hear more of what you ahve to say... and maybe share some ideas.

oh.. and on a side note.. do you know anything about these japanese independants that make the smaller series? quality work out of anyone i should look at? im going to japan in a month to take a serious look around and talk to some dealers/distros about my work, maybe i should stop in and see some of these indi toy manufacturers to talk about an ongoing series.

well, I never went that deep into it, but I know people and stuff... what attracted me was the unity between mold creation and traditional print methods (like block printing)... it's basically sculpture in reverse... I really dig the negative/positive aspects of some art forms, like graff... but... just research back inna day...

as far as audience, you need to put most of your effort into marketing, honestly, the product is marginal... image, image, image... it's nice to believe in the product but... without placement and promotion it's tough.

Also, most 'action figures' are tie-ins with a pre-existing product, giving them immediate market credibility and brand recognition, tough to beat.

Finally, some 'good' news... strangely, with the advent of 3d body scanning technology, more people are designing figurines than ever and that is actually driving the manufacturing costs down, but that trend could only be a ripple in the grand scheme over the next 20 years...

Originally posted by eseLokE1uno

Is there any dope websites that have tutorials on creating these? I have worked with sculpey before but this seems much cooler

well, it takes a bit of skill but... first you should get a grip on 'relief sculpting' which is like taking a 1/2" thick block of clay and carving into it no deeper than a 1/4" to create a scene or portrait in actual 3d, or 'relief'... then, simply reverse the process... take out all the clay you left and leave all the clay you took out... work on half the head (or body or whatever) at a time...

Listen, I don't usually tell my REAL secrets around here but... this sint THAT deep and it's fun... take $50 to Wal-Mart... buy as many of the cheapest figures you can, take them home, take them apart, cut them up, paint them, reassemble them... make dioramas... then try to sell them... remake the characters that sell best over and over... FINALLY, think about dropping the loot to let someone else do the work.

Keep it under your hat.

well here..

i've been using clay that i'd fire to get a good "basic" sketch down, then i'd make a mold of that using plyolife:

http://www.pinkhouse.com/Plyolife.html

from the plyolife mold i was able to make a nice mold to fill with polyester resin and fiberglass to get my final product, which i then just painted with basic enamels.

i know there are way better uses for plyolife but i got a ton of it for free from college so i just used what i had..

anyway.. i want to find a better method, basically because the mold here was only able to be used once, and the fact that i ended up with almost 150 in costs per 8 to 12 inch figure.

on a side note though, they are cool as all get-out and hopefully will be doing a summer gallery tour.

any better ideas on methods?

I see.. well, you might be pretty much onto what you're looking for... if you want moving parts you just need seperate molds for the limbs, torso, or head... these are hollow right? basically 1/4" thick or so?

yeah... my technique for construction is lacking a bit, cuz i basically just make a mold and slosh around the fiberglass till i get a good coat on all sides, so it's got weak areas and such.

really right now im trying to find a better casting resin than fiberglass due to the awful stench of fiberglass resin, and the weakness. any ideas?

you mean polyresin, right? I mean, fiberglass has actual fibers and fabric (tape) and shit... but, no, if you wanna keep doing it that way, your best bet is to shop around a few resins... part of the cost is drying time, if you could perhaps construct a drying box you might could use a cheaper resin but it's tough to get away from the toxicity... using plastics and rubbers isn't really much better but, I bet you could realize some decent savings if you switched towards latex molding... maybe not on the start-up side, I don't really know much about latex though...

Originally posted by Smart

you mean polyresin, right? I mean, fiberglass has actual fibers and fabric (tape) and shit... but, no, if you wanna keep doing it that way, your best bet is to shop around a few resins... part of the cost is drying time, if you could perhaps construct a drying box you might could use a cheaper resin but it's tough to get away from the toxicity... using plastics and rubbers isn't really much better but, I bet you could realize some decent savings if you switched towards latex molding... maybe not on the start-up side, I don't really know much about latex though...

well to get a bit more perticular i've been using bondo brand fiberglass resin...

i am looking into various other plastics today and im going to address the problem when i speak with my sculpting professor today. we'll see what he says.

heh, this is the most coherent i've ever seen smart....

i have an old wizard magazine that talks about how to make figurines and stuff... but i think tha tmigh be plaster of paris.

i think there's an interview w/ a guy that makes vinyl figures ate spinemagazine.com

but he mostly talks about galleries in japan and such, from what i remember.

• 1 month later...

I do quite a bit with barbie dolls, melting them together, making siamese twins that kind of stuff. Will post some pics when i get a cam!! erm im really interested in making some of these models tho they look sick! what material (product name) do you make the actual models out of? i could make a mould easily.

Archived