Videography/DSLR video

da1lyoperations

So I didn't really search for a Similar thread, bit busy. But does anyone get down with some video, I know there's a few people who might do some video work with their DSLR's. I've never really tried it until recently when I shot a few clips of Sam Rulz tattooing in between shooting photos. Thought I'd upload it.

http://vimeo.com/22111767

Apparently that crappy rolling effect is 'interlacing'. I don't know anything about video so this thread could be handy for people in a similar boat. Definitely going to read up on videoing with the camera so I can set it up next time.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yeah I am trying to get into it. Im about to purchase a camera that has hd recording capabilities. I find it great that I can record good video and also take great photos. Some people really hate the idea of the two merging. haha.

I have a friend that films with a DSLR for fun. heres one of his vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6UFKkkP6yo&feature=player_embedded

It's pretty good once you set up your camera properly, which I clearly didn't.. Haha. They're really taking over the video market lately especially with the 5D MKII, a lot of small ads and music videos are being filmed with them.

I'm definitely gonna be reading up on it more and teaching myself some Final Cut, it's good fun. I guess if the option is there you may as well use it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll repost this here

this[/url].

muligt-hovedtelefon-canon550d.jpg

I have done some research, the FiiO is compact and to work it requires only a couple cables and adapters so I decided to give it a try. I ordered what I needed and the shit should arrive any day now so I cant say yet if its a waste of money... I'm confident though.

Im curious to hear what others have done and how it turned out, I will update after I test the set up.

Aaaand I'll move this here

As for sound though, most DSLR's are shit without an external mic. Even 5D MKII users write it off. Not hearing the sound until playback sucks because you don't know how it's going to come out.

That setup looks pretty legit though, there's a lot of third party hardware that always delivers good results. I've always had good experiences.

You should post up some video you've shot, I've barely scratched the surface of it. First thing I filmed was just switching over to Live View and videoing while I was shooting.

Definitely have an interest in getting further into it though.

So, post up some stuff you've done! I'm always lurking Vimeo trying to find inspiration.

Probably the next video I'll do is on another tattoo shoot.

Although this time I'll set up the video properly, got a few pages bookmarked to read through.

Ya imo external mic's are a must even if its a somewhat cheap shoe mount mic, the chances are its gonna out perform the in cam mic.

I dont have any vids worth sharing that are ready for web at the moment but definitely here soon. So is vimeo the way to go for uploading?

Yeah I would say Vimeo is the way for sure. It's a nicer outlet for hosting videos, there's good discussions and all round it's much nicer then YouTube.

Vimeo > YouTube

Flickr > Photobucket

They're just a more 'professional' way of sharing your work, and networking with people doing the same thing.

What about editing, are you using Final Cut?

Cool I'll sign myself up...

Ya Final Cut is what Ive been taught on I been using at school. Ive had Premiere on my computer at home for a while now and opened it up for the second time ever today and am thinkin about teaching myself it on this edit Im starting. Lately Ive been hearing people say Premiere is better user wise so I'm gonna try it out for myself.

I like After EfFects, though I would probably use final cut or imovie to just seperate my clips.

I go to school for Web & Interactive Media. When they give us film classes(im on my 2nd) they have us use Final Cut. Though I like the transitions and effects you can use with After Effects.

I just got a Nikon D5100. Shoots 1080 @ 30fps. I plan on shotting a few videos this summer for some friends.

I def need an boom mic though. And lenses :/

I like After EfFects, though I would probably use final cut or imovie to just seperate my clips.

I haven't messed with After Effects yet all I know about it is you make lightsabers and lightning and other shit like that.

I go to school for Web & Interactive Media. When they give us film classes(im on my 2nd) they have us use Final Cut. Though I like the transitions and effects you can use with After Effects.

I go to school for the same thing only they call the program mutlimedia. I'm more into the video aspect of it.

I just got a Nikon D5100. Shoots 1080 @ 30fps. I plan on shotting a few videos this summer for some friends.

I have the Canon T3i which is basically the same camera as the D5100, they both are nice for shooting video. Shooting video on a dslr is a million times better with our swivel lcd screens

I def need an boom mic though. And lenses :/

Boom mic's.... yeah, there is nothing cheap about them and one will be necessary at some point.

Here is an easy cheaper alternative:

Get you an extendable paint roller pole

23rmhkl.jpg

20-25 bucks beats at least $150 any day and a lot of people on this site probably already own one.

and a lavalier mic

LAV-1.jpg

these start around $20 and some of the cheap ones work real well.

Tape the lavalier cord about eight inches in from the mic to the end of the pole so the extra length will hang down over your subject for better sound capture.

Since you went out and got you a pole you can also pick this up. It screws directly into the paint pole and is comes with the standard 5/8in light mount. This probably a lot more useful for photography but there may be a time where a light stand wont fit where you need it or maybe use it for some overhead lighting.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Bumping this, a friend from work borrowed the Nikon J1 the other week while we went shooting after work. Shooting at 400fps he cut it all together and made a sweet mini film.

I also make a stunning appearance in the video so you must watch it, of course.

Obviously it's pretty low res at that speed but it's still awesome.

http://vimeo.com/32238645

Everyone watch it and like it and stuff. Check out his other videos too.

• Like 1

Great thread idea.

I've been gathering footage on my s95 for a while now, just waiting to get a program other than imovie to muck around on. Also i've only just realised there are quite a few settings tweaks etc that can really help you get the best out of the video mode on your camera. It's not letting me paste the link but just google your camera model and you can find the info.

Just came accross this on vimeo.

http://vimeo.com/31159101

• 2 months later...

i have a canon t3i...I am shooting my first project, music video for a group i am in, so if i fail i really look like an ass.

so far i have some good footage i like. i also got final cut pro X from my cousin for free, but I have no idea wtf is going on. i am going to use imovie at first.

any tips you guys have would be dope.

• 2 weeks later...