VIDEO CAMERAS

Guest schick1

whats a good camera to buy?

bassicly my sole purpose for the camera is to film graff so I am looking for something that records good at night or has night vision. and is compact

im really only thinking about getting a digital camera, the mini dv ones cool.

but i was just wondering if anyone has a camera they like or any advice.

thanks

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

mini dv is definitely the way to go. if you're just looking to film shit for yourself, with night vision, then probably get a low end model which will most likely run you about 400-900 bucks. If you're looking to get something more in line with some video production applications you're going to want a 3 chip camera, such as a canon gl2 or sony vx2000. These are much more expensive, usually over 2 grand, but the quality really is that much better.

compact, night shots, and just for filming graff, i would say go with a cheaper single chip camera for sure. if you get mini dv you can capture directly off the camera onto your computer with a firewire which is very convenient as well.

Digital, MOST DEF

DV is definately the way to roll, unless you are working with a miniscule budget. I have a VHS-c camera that works great, but the medium sucks. It's hard to edit and because it's not digital, it can't be manipulated online. The only reason I still have it is that I got it a long time ago, it's paid for, and it still works pretty well.

I have run across some great digital cameras in pawn shops, but you've got to be careful when buying pawn shop shit that the gear still functions like it's supposed to. A lot of people who don'y know shit buy cameras and stuff, and the first time something stops working on it, they pawn it and go buy another one. Most pawn shops have 15 or 20 camcorders all the time.

Mini-DVs are great for graf and skating, stuff like that, but to make a genuine movie you're going to need a higher-end camcorder. I did some research on it a while ago. I'd say:

Canon GL-2 (or GL-1, outdated but cheaper around $1,250)

Canon XL-1, XL-1-S ($2,400 new, $1,500 used), XL-2 (the XL-2 is like $5,000 new)

Panasonic AG-DVC200 ($3,000)

Sony DCR-VX2000 ($1,400)

Sony DSR-250 3CCD DVCAM ($3,300)

Sony DSR-PD150 3CCD Mini DVCAM ($2,400)

Sony DCR-TRV950 ($1,200)

Panasonic AD-DVX100 ($2,300)

For less than the price of a decent motorcycle you can be in the movie business.

thanks everybody

the Sony DCR TRV38 looks good supposidly it records the best at night outta the sony's but i wonder if its really any better than the trv 19 at night.