VH1, Dance vs. Sexual Revolution

I just watched an interesting documentry on VH1 about how sexual revolution has influenced dancing, and how dancing has always been a sort of rebellion against "mainstream" conservatives. First with Elvis swinging his hips which both shocked and stunned people out of the traditional 3 step. Shortly after came the Twist, by Chevy Checker, which a ) intoduced an American woman to dance without a male lead, and B) was one of the first popular dances done individually, paired, or in a group with vivid sexual connotation. Next came go-go dancing, less clothes, more twisting. Then the 60's barely clothed, no holds barred, flinging for a purpose.. which I believe was the first time a mass generation became aware of their individual rythems and dance was no longer the 'hip - fuck you mom' thing, but it was a personal, political, and spiritual outlet. After that came disco, which brought about mostly drug binges and fashion awareness (a post political backlash). Then the 80's which was (sadly) more broadway choreography and clean cut moves for the camera. After that, Michael Jackson started bringing street dancing or breakdancing in out of the streets and integrated it with broadway type dance, sparking more of a mass appeal of the talent coming from the streets than ever before. This time, street dancing from the ghetto couldn't just be resold by any white suburban tom, dick, or harry wanting to be the next big thing. From breakdancing, and the intrest in the ghetto, has come the intrest in the full figured woman shaking her ass in the camera. Though I'm not sure what influence this is having on any revolution, it's still a trend none the less. Finally, the next dance trend has become the rave dancing. Which isn't about sex at all, it's more about drugs and a spiritual high. As much as you guys hate ravers, in a more positive light, they are taking trends from almost every dance generation and putting them to use. Spiritual vibes, breakdancing, disco drugs and club type atmospheres, plus their own moves (as hop skippy and liquid as they may be). It seems to me like the next revolution coming isn't about revolution at all. Once the drugs lose focus (which they always do), we're going to be left with people who are socially, politicly, spiritually, and sexually aware from past genrations, and I believe the next mass vibe will be an intellectual one. With new mathrock, noise, expiermental, and integrative bands on the rise (Tool and Radiohead being a notable two who are more mainstream), I think music is taking us on a ride outside of our mind and body, without the drugs, for once. My guess is, first will come the music, then the moves, media, then mass appeal, which will lead to something new. Less pop, less catch, more heart, more brain, and more diversity. Watching the history of dance is a really unique way of watching groups of people coming together for the same outlet throughout time. What do you think will be the next big thing? Why?

Sorry this was so long, I got carried away. http://www.12ozprophet.com/ubb//smile.gif'> (feel free to comment on anything I got wrong or any points I didn't bring up)

------------------

PRUDE - If I had nuts, you'd be on 'em.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Good post! I love dancing and have danced since I was 3. I see ballet resurging and gaining a new audience and popularity again, but it won't be the next big craze. I think because the people involved are elitist and snobby at times. The good thing about raves is the abandonment of structured, choreographed dancing. Not that I haven't seen people at raves dance a planned routine, but you certainly don't have to if you don't want to. You can go with the flow, dancing any way you want, and most probably wouldn't look twice or even notice. That is rare. With many genres of dance, like ballet, jazz, tap, even some disco, you don't get quite that spontaneity. Even with danceclubs these days, everyone is rigid and dancing is certaintly not the focus, nor is the music. I am rambling now...

P.S. Tow up- Have you watched Flashdance or Fame recently? Great dance movies that are cheesy, I wish 80s dancing would be cool again!

I noticed some trends in jiggy rap videos that people follow as well i know it goes further back but remember in Coolio's fantastic voyage rappers would wave their hands palms down like they were floating in the air then later it changes to palms up like your pushing up something like in "lukes raise the roof" or i remember seing some redman or some craig mack video seeing him doing this shit. then it changes into this clenched fist moving your elbows up and down like in black rob's "whoa" and i see all the fuckign MTV fuckers that push this kinda shit and people follow along to these dance and shit its hillarious then i stopped watching MTV so i dont know whats the newest arm flapping around shit for rappers

------------------

http://www.brokenschool.com/12oz/signature.gif'>

Broken Schooled

Guest --zeSto--
Originally posted by tow up from tha flow up !:

. Finally, the next dance trend has become the rave dancing. Which isn't about sex at all, it's more about drugs and a spiritual high.

I strongly dissagree.

If you're so high off your ass that any possibility

of an errection is long gone, then yes it becomes

a 'spiritual thing'.

But for the people like me who dance for the pleasure of movement,

great satisfaction is there to be had.

If you ahem.. "bust a move" then spin around

to catch some cutie checking you,

that's exactly what the jitterbig was about.

If you're too slopy to come back to the rhelm

of human social interaction, your loss man.

point.. not all ravers are crackheads.

not all ravers are asexual units.

Originally posted by tow up from tha flow up !:

we're going to be left with people who are socially, politicly, spiritually, and sexually aware from past genrations, and I believe the next mass vibe will be an intellectual one. With new mathrock, noise, expiermental, and integrative bands on the rise (Tool and Radiohead being a notable two who are more mainstream), Less pop, less catch, more heart, more brain, and more diversity.

i just can't agree with that. just look at the music from the sixties. that music was very concious politically, but the mass/pop culture just moved on to disco(drugs) and wiped the slate clean for new bubble gum music of the eighties. then, in the early nineties the "alternative" groups that came from the underground brought a down-to-earth mentality to the mainstream, and by the late nineties it was all forgotten and boy bands were hyped again. the music wont change the people, the kids growing up need to be taught to value sincerity, passion, and open-mindedness to appreciate "heart, brain and diversity" in order for this type of revolution to happen

Originally posted by intercept:

the post was dumb and your sayin of intellect music on the way is tollay dumb and wroung people will never understand.........

whats this dude on????????????

Jungle......atmospheric to deep&dark.......

why---it can incorporate any flashy trend...

it can back up some futeristic britney spears crap ----- to influencing some intellectual flows,,,,,atmospheric can even be used as meditative music---as far as dancing.....people do what makes them feel comfortable,,,classifying a generation of peoples dance moves is impossible to do( correctly)---its all about the music and its all going to focus on percussion....thats why i say jungleist will rule-------from dark drum and base to light weight atmospheric...............................................................................................................................this opinion has been brought o you inpart by Neah's left brain........

Originally posted by Klypse:

This coming from the guy who posts old, naked people.

1. the pic was originally posted on this board by someone else and i was just "giving it back" to him in another inane/mindless thread started by the aforementioned 12oz member.

2. even if i did have the time to scan the pic and link it to my own photo site to upload onto this message board, that doesn't discount my beief that most pop culture music/dance lacks soul and sincerity, and that most people lack comprehension of quality expression and/or art.

3. i find humor in most things, therefore i'm not gonna be a politically correct asshole and think certain things are taboo or off limits to make fun of. if you were offended by a pic that i didn't even post, good.

thank you and fuck off.

i love jungle. specifically funky ass ragga/hip hop type jungle. not that i cant get down with some dark and or intelligent shit, cuz i can, but i go out to dance to smile and shake my ass, not to be scared by some shit that sounds like a dot matrix printer mixed with highway contstruction. the reason i can get down with jungle(and not house,for instance) is that the drum hits on basically the same beat as your typical ska (or maybe ska-punk_ song.)which i used to love. you can skank, and if some one plays some jungle, your dance will probably match right up with little adjustment. so yea, basically my fondness of skankin it up when i was younger led to my love of jungle now.

dancing is fun. there are no rules.no matter what it all goes back to the same thing. expression and interpretation of music and emotion through motion. what a concept.

ps. if you like funky jungle find some recordings by dj jeffee out of florida. the man is my hero.

Originally posted by ohnoone:

ps. if you like funky jungle find some recordings by dj jeffee out of florida. the man is my hero.

yes yes yes -- my friend turned me on to him when he returned from florida----your def... of dance is right on

http://www.12ozprophet.com/ubb//biggrin.gif'>

------------------

brought to you in part by the -"Spatial Vector Electrocardiography"-

Hey I saw that VH1 thing. I didn't read Tow Up's post cuz I didn't feel like reading a book but VH1's shows are pretty interesting. Almost as interesting as animals doin the nasty on TLC, The Discovery Channel and The Travel Channel.

------------------

I need a strong dose of caffeine and a dancing midget.

Archived