vegemite appreciation thread

wiseguy

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by mr.yuck

but if you all say its good then how can i go about getting some of that?

i wouldnt know where to direct u to get some.. where do u live ? maybe try supermarkets first. you never know if they stock it or not ? maybe if there are any specialty stores in your area that sell Australian things, could try there. for example we got a shop called "The Kiwi Shop" which sells a whole rang of New Zeland products.

when i was little we used to run around saying "VAGINAMITE! VAGINAMITE!"

The Vegemite story is truly inspiring. It's chock full of Aussie ingenuity, hard work and innovation.

_

The yeast extract spread we all know and love first appeared on our shelves in 1923. It was made from many essential ingredients apart from yeast extract.

One of the main ones was Fred Walker - a man before his time.

He was an entrepreneur and business visionary. Fred tried many different businesses from selling hat accessories to managing an agency for racehorses & jockeys. He then branched out into canning. Under the company name of Fred Walker & Co, Fred started canning everything that could be canned- meat, ox tongue, macaroni and vermicelli.

In 1918, the war delayed imports of popular yeast extracts. Walker saw an opening in the market and pounced. Fred enlisted the help of a brilliant young chemist, Dr Cyril P Callister, to work on a yeast extract and a cheese that had a long shelf life. After many attempts, they developed a spread, and Vegemite was born.

While Dr Callister was working on a cheese with a long shelf life, he found a viable patent that was registered by James Kraft, a Canadian who was based in Chicago. Fred went to America to talk to James Kraft. James Kraft and Fred Walker were two peas in a pod and in 1926 they decided to start a joint venture -The Kraft Walker Cheese Company.

Kraft has been making Vegemite here in Australia since 1926 and continues to do so today.

Fred Walker's and James Kraft's values still pervade through Kraft Foods today and their famous spread continues to put a rose in every cheek.

mmmm, delicious.

Originally posted by Evil Dee

I have 2 pieces. But it's definitely an acquired taste. You have to be Australian to reeeeally appreciate it's greatness.

i dont know if this is what your implying, but if ur saying u eat that lilttle bit more then me, it means ur more australian then I, you really are an idiot

Re: ohh fat bastard... if only they knew.

Originally posted by bute

we're happy little vegemites as happy as can be,

we all enjoy our vegemite for breakfast lunch and tea,

our mummy's say we're growing strong with every little bit

(pick up tempo, drag out rose and cheeck)

because we love our vegemite

we all enjoy our vegemite

it puts a rose on every cheek.

dont know if thats spot on but come on i just remembered that from their adds back in the day.

:king:

ahahaha, thats great

Originally posted by ARCEL

the true test of austrailinimity is how much foster's you drink... it's austrailan for beer

if that's the case there's more australians in europe and america than in australia.

the true test of australianimity is how many wives you can bash while combing your mullet and eating vegemite sandiches on the bonnet of your holden commodore

Originally posted by Mr. ABC

the true test of australianimity is how many wives you can bash while combing your mullet and eating vegemite sandiches on the bonnet of your holden commodore

all whilst wearing a singlet, small shorts, thongs and lettin that gut hang outta the singlet