Vegan parents starve baby almost to death

Guest KING BLING

Guest KING BLING

I'm all for vegans and vegetarianism but....

Vegans guilty on all counts for malnourishing baby

Fri Apr 4, 4:59 PM ET Add Crimes and Trials - Court TV to My Yahoo!

By Harriet Ryan, Court TV

(Court TV) — A jury in Kew Gardens, N.Y. convicted a vegan couple of nearly starving their baby to death with a strict diet that the prosecutor described as "a path to hell."

Joseph and Silva Swinton, both 32, were found guilty in Queens Supreme Court of assault, reckless endangerment and endangering the welfare of a child.

The couple fed their toddler daughter, Ice, a homemade soy bean and herb infant formula that left the little girl with the appearance of a Third World famine victim and the developmental abilities of a newborn. At 15 months, Ice had no teeth and could not sit up, crawl or walk.

The Swintons will face up to 25 years in prison when sentenced at a later date by Judge Richard Buchter.

With their verdict, which came after two days of deliberations, the jury rejected arguments of the Swintons' attorneys, who said the couple wanted only the best for their baby and did not realize the harm the diet was causing her.

The felony assault and reckless endangerment convictions indicate the panel found the couple acted with "depraved indifference," or recklessness "so wanton" that it is equivalent to purposefully starving Ice. If the jury had found the Swintons simply reckless, they could have convicted them on misdemeanor charges that carry no mandatory jail time.

Assistant District Attorney Eric Rosenbaum said the pair treated their daughter "like a gerbil" and called the diet "a grotesque science project." He argued that the couple were well aware that their daughter was sick and showed "willfull blindness" to the problems.

"A 15-month-old child who cannot walk, cannot stand and cannot crawl — that tells you that something is very, very wrong," Rosenbaum told the jury during closing arguments.

All the panelists had experience caring for small children. None are vegetarians.

The girl, who will celebrate her third birthday in July, and her baby brother, Ini, born after the Swintons' arrests, now live with relatives of the couple. (Court papers spell the girl's name Ice, although the parents have spelled it Iice.)

The testimony of Silva Swinton was the three-week trial's dramatic highpoint and may have ultimately proved harmful to her defense. She told jurors that Ice "was thriving" on the vegan diet and suggested that it was hospitalizations and medical care ordered by social services that had made her daughter sick.

YAHOOOOO

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I didn't read that either, but if it's true that's wack.... to make an example of some Vegan's "starving" their children when there's most likely alot more Meegan's "starving" their children too. I didn't bring light to this so that some vegans can jump in here and start their vegetable holy war. It's just stupid, it's like saying that starving a child if you're vegan is ten times worse than if you're not. The moral here is to eat meat so that people don't make example's of you when you fuck up.

Guest Dr. Drew
Originally posted by razeagainst

babies are natutrally (except for breast milk), vegan. So are humans.

NO, you are wrong. we (and ESPECIALLY babies) are not naturally vegan. i'm vegan, but i know its not natural. B-12, doesn't occur on in plants except in some seaweed and it isn't even absorbable by natural human digestion. there's also some fatty acids that are hard to aquire by an all plant diet. you sound like the typical vegan idiot that never bothered to study nutrition, and will have permament nrvous system damage from malnutrition, and your kids will be just like poor little Ice.

Growing babies need at least dairy products (no not just breast milk) in their diets, and no one should take on a vegan diet until their late teens.

Veganism is by no means natural, i'm vegan because i believe the livestock industry is by no means natural either, but i studied the science of nutrition extensively to the point that i understand how i can get adequate nutrition.

veganism is not for everybody, by saying its natural, is saying that evryone can be. but its honestly something for those privelidged member of society.

im all for germans but the holocaust?

im all for religion but the crusades?

im all for whites but the slavery/ku klux klan?

im all for men but the sexism?

King... this was a little more then absolutly ridiculous opening comment before that article.

oh well.

btw a babies body produces an enzyme which breaks down lactose in the body for the first months of a humans life, at the point in which the child is weened off of milk no other lactose should be used. the enzyme is supposed to die out when we are weened off the breast. for some it still happens, hence lactose intolerance.

Guest Dr. Drew

25 years? thats nowhere near harsh. that baby missed critical developing periods of her life. she'll never have normal or optimal body function or health for her entire life. the girl was sentenced to 70 plus years of a substandard life because of ignorant stupid parents.

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by wordvirus

im all for germans but the holocaust?

im all for religion but the crusades?

im all for whites but the slavery/ku klux klan?

im all for men but the sexism?

King... this was a little more then absolutly ridiculous opening comment before that article.

I am a vegetarian I just hate people who brag about it and other such choices. For instance you might be straight edge but my mom doesnt do drugs or drink - whats the differance? That said I don't understand your point in the slightest so perhaps you would like to explain...my point: I agree with vegans but this instance seems to take it too far.

Originally posted by razeagainst

no, YOU are wrong. The human digestive system is NOT designed to digest meat or dairy products. B-12 DOES occur naturally in the skins root vegetables (like carrots), but this is not that important because the large intestine produces all the necessary B-12 the body needs.

A baby's natural diet should consist of breast milk and soft fruits. Feeding your baby "dairy" or "meat" products is just plain ignorant.

we are fucking animals, whatever we eat is natural. we are part of fucking nature.

Originally posted by Dr. Drew

veganism is not for everybody, by saying its natural, is saying that evryone can be. but its honestly something for those privelidged member of society.

This is bullshit...meat and dairy does have a lot of protein, along with plenty of cholestrol and saturated fat...sure it has B-12, but a 3-month supply of B-12 supplements costs less than $10. You can get vegan B complex vitamins from Walgreens, Nature's Source brand, cheap...

A vegan diet providing more than enough protein along with muchos other nutrients is waaay cheaper than an omniverous diet...

Nothing else is exclusively derived from meat, so why don't you step off your high horse...I think YOU need to do a little more research.

It must be nice to be a "privelidged member of society" but in conclusion, it's obviously not necessary to possess such an exclusive status in order to be vegan.

Learn to spell. :P

It's so predictable, all the meat-eaters get excited in this thread, as if they stood up as a kid and said defiantly, "I want to be an omnivore!"

Pretty much all the omnivores that I've known eat meat because their parents do, and never gave a second thought to it. But the per-capita occurrence of heart disease and cancer is huge here in America, the land of plenty, even though people are eating large amounts of nourishing hamburgers, steaks, chili-dogs, ice cream, and other CRAP. What a mystery, ya know?

I've been vegetarian for almost 4 years, vegan for 3...I might get a short cold that's over just about as soon as it's started once a year (I didn't get any for 3 years)...did you know that the average is 3-4 a year for the general population? And I'm one of those people who people say they're amazed at the energy of.

So I'd have to say I'm doing pretty well health-wise...

I agree that it's not a diet for everyone, but much of our society doesn't seem to place empathy and health at the top of the list of virtues to have.

If you read this far, you're probably vegan, too...LOL.

:dazed:

OKRA

Keep Beating a Dead Horse...

Why bother arguing? Really, who cares?

Eat what you want to eat.

Mmmmmm, meat...

Mmmmm, veggies...

Oh!

I put one more 'm' on the meat side! I must be a meat eater!

Who cares, really?

Archived