1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Vegan parents starve baby almost to death

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by KING BLING, Apr 5, 2003.

1. KING BLING

KING BLING Guest

Vegan parents starve baby almost to death

Discussion started by KING BLING - Apr 5, 2003

I'm all for vegans and vegetarianism but....

Vegans guilty on all counts for malnourishing baby
    Fri Apr 4, 4:59 PM ET Add Crimes and Trials - Court TV to My Yahoo!

By Harriet Ryan, Court TV

(Court TV) — A jury in Kew Gardens, N.Y. convicted a vegan couple of nearly starving their baby to death with a strict diet that the prosecutor described as "a path to hell."

Joseph and Silva Swinton, both 32, were found guilty in Queens Supreme Court of assault, reckless endangerment and endangering the welfare of a child.

The couple fed their toddler daughter, Ice, a homemade soy bean and herb infant formula that left the little girl with the appearance of a Third World famine victim and the developmental abilities of a newborn. At 15 months, Ice had no teeth and could not sit up, crawl or walk.

The Swintons will face up to 25 years in prison when sentenced at a later date by Judge Richard Buchter.

With their verdict, which came after two days of deliberations, the jury rejected arguments of the Swintons' attorneys, who said the couple wanted only the best for their baby and did not realize the harm the diet was causing her.

The felony assault and reckless endangerment convictions indicate the panel found the couple acted with "depraved indifference," or recklessness "so wanton" that it is equivalent to purposefully starving Ice. If the jury had found the Swintons simply reckless, they could have convicted them on misdemeanor charges that carry no mandatory jail time.

Assistant District Attorney Eric Rosenbaum said the pair treated their daughter "like a gerbil" and called the diet "a grotesque science project." He argued that the couple were well aware that their daughter was sick and showed "willfull blindness" to the problems.

"A 15-month-old child who cannot walk, cannot stand and cannot crawl — that tells you that something is very, very wrong," Rosenbaum told the jury during closing arguments.

All the panelists had experience caring for small children. None are vegetarians.

The girl, who will celebrate her third birthday in July, and her baby brother, Ini, born after the Swintons' arrests, now live with relatives of the couple. (Court papers spell the girl's name Ice, although the parents have spelled it Iice.)

The testimony of Silva Swinton was the three-week trial's dramatic highpoint and may have ultimately proved harmful to her defense. She told jurors that Ice "was thriving" on the vegan diet and suggested that it was hospitalizations and medical care ordered by social services that had made her daughter sick.

YAHOOOOO

2. dELiSs

dELiSs 12oz Elite Member

dELiSs - Replied Apr 5, 2003

I'm getting way to effin lazy. To read that is.

dELiSs - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  3. Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle 12oz Veteran Member

Dr. Dazzle - Replied Apr 5, 2003

Idiots.....

Dr. Dazzle - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  4. Agt. Adopus

Agt. Adopus 12oz Junior Member

Agt. Adopus - Replied Apr 5, 2003

Thats fucked up, it sounded more like they where super cracked up hippies then vegans.

Agt. Adopus - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  5. Agt. Adopus

Agt. Adopus 12oz Junior Member

Agt. Adopus - Replied Apr 5, 2003

Grr. They did not feed her "ice". The babies name was Ice.

They should have breastfed her.

Agt. Adopus - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  6. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Dirty Dozen Crew

Dirty_habiT - Replied Apr 5, 2003

Yeah I didn't read that either, but if it's true that's wack.... to make an example of some Vegan's "starving" their children when there's most likely alot more Meegan's "starving" their children too. I didn't bring light to this so that some vegans can jump in here and start their vegetable holy war. It's just stupid, it's like saying that starving a child if you're vegan is ten times worse than if you're not. The moral here is to eat meat so that people don't make example's of you when you fuck up.

Dirty_habiT - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  7. Dr. Drew

Dr. Drew Guest

Dr. Drew - Replied Apr 5, 2003

NO, you are wrong. we (and ESPECIALLY babies) are not naturally vegan. i'm vegan, but i know its not natural. B-12, doesn't occur on in plants except in some seaweed and it isn't even absorbable by natural human digestion. there's also some fatty acids that are hard to aquire by an all plant diet. you sound like the typical vegan idiot that never bothered to study nutrition, and will have permament nrvous system damage from malnutrition, and your kids will be just like poor little Ice.

Growing babies need at least dairy products (no not just breast milk) in their diets, and no one should take on a vegan diet until their late teens.

Veganism is by no means natural, i'm vegan because i believe the livestock industry is by no means natural either, but i studied the science of nutrition extensively to the point that i understand how i can get adequate nutrition.

veganism is not for everybody, by saying its natural, is saying that evryone can be. but its honestly something for those privelidged member of society.

8. wordvirus

wordvirus New Jack

wordvirus - Replied Apr 5, 2003

im all for germans but the holocaust?
    im all for religion but the crusades?
    im all for whites but the slavery/ku klux klan?
    im all for men but the sexism?

King... this was a little more then absolutly ridiculous opening comment before that article.

oh well.

btw a babies body produces an enzyme which breaks down lactose in the body for the first months of a humans life, at the point in which the child is weened off of milk no other lactose should be used. the enzyme is supposed to die out when we are weened off the breast. for some it still happens, hence lactose intolerance.

wordvirus - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  9. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del Guest

ctrl+alt+del - Replied Apr 5, 2003

25 years? thats pretty harsssh

10. Dr. Drew

Dr. Drew Guest

Dr. Drew - Replied Apr 5, 2003

25 years? thats nowhere near harsh. that baby missed critical developing periods of her life. she'll never have normal or optimal body function or health for her entire life. the girl was sentenced to 70 plus years of a substandard life because of ignorant stupid parents.

11. wiseguy

wiseguy 12oz Elite Member

wiseguy - Replied Apr 5, 2003

am i the only peorson wondering... WHO THE FUCK NAMES A KID "ICE" ?! fucking fruitcakes...

wiseguy - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  12. KING BLING

KING BLING Guest

KING BLING - Replied Apr 5, 2003

I am a vegetarian I just hate people who brag about it and other such choices. For instance you might be straight edge but my mom doesnt do drugs or drink - whats the differance? That said I don't understand your point in the slightest so perhaps you would like to explain...my point: I agree with vegans but this instance seems to take it too far.

13. TEEHEEHEE

TEEHEEHEE 12oz Member

TEEHEEHEE - Replied Apr 5, 2003

i find that very sad, how ignorant of them.

TEEHEEHEE - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  14. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder 12oz Loyalist

Fox Mulder - Replied Apr 5, 2003

we are fucking animals, whatever we eat is natural. we are part of fucking nature.

Fox Mulder - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  15. Missinterpreted

Missinterpreted 12oz Member

Missinterpreted - Replied Apr 5, 2003

razeagainst is one of those annoying vegans that you wanna shove a slab of bacon down his throat.

and im not putting down vegans in general, just you.

oh yea, your signature is mad corny.

Missinterpreted - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages: