Vagitarians, Take Notice!

shai

ALl right, so I've been vegetarian for most of my life. The first half was on account of my parents...kind of like when Samuel L. Jackson said in "Pulp Fiction", "My girlfriend is a vegetarian...so I guess that makes me one too."

The latter half has been due to an inability to digest meat, and that means ANY kind of meat. The ethical aspect plays into it, but it's been more of a recent development, since I can't love animals (no, not in THAT way) and eat them, too.

So, being a lazy bastard, I rarely have time to make my own lunch in the morning before work. So, I have to eat lunch to go most of the time. There's a good selection of veggie resaurants where I work, and I frequent them...but a steady diet of anything gets boring, so I like to check out different places whenever the mood strikes me.

Last Friday was one of those days. I found a new pizza place around the corner from my office, so I decided to try them out...just a slice of cheese usually does the trick, and gives me a good idea of the quality of the rest of the menu. So, that's what I ordered.

And, man, that shit tasted GOOD! It was like how I remember pizza tasting when I was a kid. Then, I noticed that the cheese pizza was actually...only half cheese, with the other half being pepperoni. Uh oh.

By the time I got home, I had stomach cramps and the shits like I hadn't had them in ages...I felt like the Alien was going to pop out of my chest at any minute, it was that bad. I tried Sprite and crackers, Tums, the whole nine...to no avail. I had to ride it out, and the next day felt better, but still kind of weak. Basically, it fucked up most of my weekend.

Ironically, my girl went to her grandmother's house this weekend, and ended up eating soup that had sausage in it...her grandmother is from Italy, and isn't too clear on the whole vegetarian thing. But, she's a sweet old lady, and my girl is a good sport, so she tried to eat her way around the sausage...and ended up right where I was the night before, rolling around in bed, farting and groaning and hating life in general.

Anyway, I guess what I want to know is-

A) Has this happened to you?

B) If so, what can/did you do about it?

I know one of us is gonna get it again someday, so I'd like to know if there's some kind of home remedy for this.

Fire away.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think its the red meat thats the problem.

i was raised macrobiotic vegetarian... ate chicken & turkey off and on for maybe two years. turned back vegetarian for 6 more years. and recently started eating chicken and turkey again.

i didnt get sick at all, but then again, i'm not eating super processed meats either. i think that it has with the type of meat that you're eating. pepperoni and sausage are a mixture of the worst parts of cow & pig (and who knows what else).

eating meat again has made me healthier because i dont have an iron deficiency anymore. also, i've lost weight because of the protien substituted in place of carbohydrates all the time.

i dunno... i just never thought it was morally wrong to eat animals, seeing as how we're on the top of the food chain and we eat them to survive (even tho, in this day and age its not necessary to eat animals for survival.. but, still). i just never liked the smell or taste of meat or fish. i find myself craving chicken from time to time, but everything else is kind of repulsive to me.

it could also be in your head...

like if you hadn't noticed the meat in what you ate, you might not have gotten sick.

your mind is a very powerful thing. once you're convinced that something is gonna make your body react a certain way, then you'll no doubt follow thru with it. (ie: a child who gets cut and doesnt start crying or feel pain until he sees blood.)

i was vegetarian for 8 years...decided i was too fucky lazy and didnt care anymore so i started by eating tuna...quarter of a can. fucked my stomach up, but i didnt get too sick. did that every day for a week. it took about a month before i could eat whatever and not have it bother me.

thats all.

I'm a full-on 'vore, but I find this thread really fascinating. I didn't know your body could be conditioned after a number of years to be intolerant of meat. I thought we were pretty much hard-wired to devour our fleshy delicious animal friends.

This is a little off-topic, but I felt compelled to ask. Isn't it really expensive to be a vegetarian and still be healthy? I've had friends (idiots) who tried the vegetarian thing because they're easily influenced tools who wanted to be trendy, and one ended up in the hospital for malnutrition. You have to eat a ton of different rabbit food, don't you? Like beans, squash, carrots, rice, bread, pasta, broccoli, nuts, some kinda legume and some other stuff EVERY DAY to keep your caloric intake up and all that jazz?

Originally posted by Wire@Sep 14 2005, 07:59 PM

I'm a full-on 'vore, but I find this thread really fascinating. I didn't know your body could be conditioned after a number of years to be intolerant of meat. I thought we were pretty much hard-wired to devour our fleshy delicious animal friends.

This is a little off-topic, but I felt compelled to ask. Isn't it really expensive to be a vegetarian and still be healthy? I've had friends (idiots) who tried the vegetarian thing because they're easily influenced tools who wanted to be trendy, and one ended up in the hospital for malnutrition. You have to eat a ton of different rabbit food, don't you? Like beans, squash, carrots, rice, bread, pasta, broccoli, nuts, some kinda legume and some other stuff EVERY DAY to keep your caloric intake up and all that jazz?

well, thats vegans that you're talking about. most vegetarians get a lot of calories from dairy products & such.

Originally posted by RumPuncher@Sep 14 2005, 04:56 PM

we're still born with an apendix, so meat is nartual for humans to eat.

hell... If I hadn't ever had a beer than this tall can of Lowenbrau would probably kill me.

you mean a pancreas right?

because thats where all THE protein -digesting enzymes are from. not your appendix

<------- biology major oner

any asian food can be cooked with tofu instead of meat.

any mexican can be cooked with beans instead of meat.

any italian can be cooked with vegetables instead of meat.

pizza can be purchased without meat.

anybody that tells you that you can't be 'healthy' without eating meat is completely full of shit. anyone that tells you that you need a ton of vitamins and suppliments is completely full of shit. look at the way most americans eat: mcdonalds, etc. do you think that meat is somehow 'healthy' in any way? naw' brah.

i rarely got sick, ate the same shit day after day, and never took any vitamins and i lived through it. only reason i stopped being vegetarian is because im too lazy to cook (ever) and i was bored of eating bean burritos from taco bell all the time. if i was living in a big city with more vegi options, i would not have gone back to eating meat.

Originally posted by RumPuncher@Sep 14 2005, 09:26 PM

we're still born with an apendix, so meat is nartual for humans to eat.

hell... If I hadn't ever had a beer than this tall can of Lowenbrau would probably kill me.

LOWENBRAU???? :yuck:

i always wondered why so many writers are vegitarian...

i am and likeprobably 30% of the writers i know are.. (thats a large percent if you actually think about it...

Originally posted by SF1@Sep 14 2005, 06:04 PM

How did you not realize you were eating pepperoni?

I was slippin'...burnt out from staring at Lexis-Nexis (the ILLEST database EVER, makes Google look like a fucking joke, but it gets old after a while)...it's a sit-down joint, and honestly, would YOU think cheese pizza is risky? I didn't either. And, as I said, the fact that it tasted really, really good should have rang a bell, but there's times where you're just happy to finally get a good slice when all the slices you eat taste like clay. Oakland only has two good pizza restaurants, and they aren't convenient biking distance from my office.

I'll admit it, I should have been more vigilant, but worse things happen to better people.

And, I did think of the psychosomatic angle (seeing the pepperoni and fearing the worst), but I've gotten burnt before, and only after I asked, did I find out that the rice in the taco had chicken stock...

My best revenge ever was had on their restaurant- I top-decked their toilet. (That's when you take a dump in the toilet tank.) The only reason they got the schnitz was because after I told them what was up, they really didn't seem to give a flying fuck, even after I explained, at length, that I had a food allergy. Nuts to them.

In case anyone is wondering, veggies should steer clear of El Farolito at 19th and Mission in SF. Give them your worst...they deserve it.

Originally posted by Wire@Sep 14 2005, 05:59 PM

I'm 5'11" and weigh 180 pounds. Technically, I'm overweight. But, I have a pretty big frame and I excersize (sp?) a lot to counteract my beer and 12 oz. habits. There's a lot of chunky vegetarians out there...you'd be surprised.

It's all about the balance diet to avoid deficencies, btw. It's tricky at first, but it becomes second nature after a while.

Originally posted by Tough Love@Sep 14 2005, 06:57 PM

i eat meat. its either i eat the animals, or the animals eat me.

Ha ha...like if a cow was carnivorous, man, watch out...they'd be coming through your front door. "MOOOOOOO....WHERE'S THE MEAT?!?!?!?!?!"

I disagree, but that IS a funny mental picture.

i dont eat meat either. my parents never understood it, but every doctor said it was fine. ive hated meat since i can remember. the texture in my mouth makes me want to vomit.

im actually allergic to gluten and wheat as well, which means pretty much no bread or pasta except for rice bread or pasta, or spelt bread. this makes things extremely complicated for eating. i have slowly started to eat a little wheat here and there and its not so bad. but pasta usually gives me bad stomach cramps and hinders my digestion. apparently 50% of people are allergic to wheat, but if you constantly eat it, you never really know. and with rice bread being 6 or 7 a loaf, its not the most economical thing to buy. so taking digestive pills before or after meals helps me.

as for cramps when eating meat, it happens to me if im somehow forced to eat meat. i found digestive aid pills help, say after you eat meat, take the pills and it doesent make it so bad. the only choice you have is to avoid meat. i eat alot of hemp seed and hemp grain to give me protein, and take L theanine supplements as well. (fights off the depression that comes with a lack of protein.) you dont need meat to be healthy at all. theres plenty other things to suppliment the vitamins you get from meat, and over in north america, our meat is mostly steroids anyways.

one thing that drives me mental with people who offer me fish instead of red meat, or chicken, all of those things are still meat. just different animals.

TTboy.jpg

"And T.T. Boy (snicker) takes the lead for advice."

You sound like you have it a little rougher than I do. I worked at a health food store for a second...I should go back and check out those supplements. I also remember those loaves of rice bread.....eeeewwww. And, that's some Gucci ass bread, they charged $6 for it ten years ago.