1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

V for Vendetta

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Weapon X, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

V for Vendetta

Discussion started by Weapon X - Mar 6, 2005

Weapon X - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  2. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

Weapon X - Replied Mar 6, 2005

Official Site.

I just know this will be a good movie. It's supposed to come out in December this year, too.

3. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

Weapon X - Replied Mar 6, 2005

~ Action Thriller Based on Groundbreaking Graphic Novel by Alan Moore and David Lloyd ~

BERLIN, GERMANY, March 4, 2005 – The Wachowski Brothers and Joel Silver, the creators and producer of the revolutionary, $1.6 billion-grossing Matrix trilogy, have launched production on the action thriller V For Vendetta, starring Natalie Portman (Star Wars: Episodes I-III, Closer, Garden State), James Purefoy (Vanity Fair, Resident Evil) and Stephen Rea (Interview with the Vampire, The Crying Game) in Berlin, Germany.

Produced by Joel Silver, Andy Wachowski and Larry Wachowski, V For Vendetta is directed by James McTeigue, who served as the First Assistant Director on the Matrix trilogy.

Set against the futuristic landscape of totalitarian Britain, V For Vendetta tells the story of a mild-mannered young woman named Evey (Natalie Portman) who is rescued from a life-and-death situation by a masked vigilante (James Purefoy) known only as “V.” Incomparably charismatic and ferociously skilled in the art of combat and deception, V ignites a revolution when he detonates two London landmarks and takes over the government-controlled airwaves, urging his fellow citizens to rise up against tyranny and oppression. As Evey uncovers the truth about V’s mysterious background, she also discovers the truth about herself – and emerges as his unlikely ally in the culmination of his plot to bring freedom and justice back to a society fraught with cruelty and corruption.

4. imported_grim540

imported_grim540 12oz Member

imported_grim540 - Replied Mar 6, 2005

[​IMG]
    "I am the Devil, and I come to do the devil's work,"

I heard somehwere that Darren Afronosky (Pi, Requim for a Dream) is supposed to be doing the Watchmen.

imported_grim540 - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  5. fermentor666

fermentor666 12oz Veteran Member

fermentor666 - Replied Mar 7, 2005

Aronofsky has this habit of signing onto projects and then abandoning them. Paul Greengrass, who did Bloody Sunday and Bourne Supremacy, is signed on to direct Watchmen.

I gave my father V for Vendetta for Xmas and he liked it a lot, I still haven't read it myself, reading Watchmen now and I also just picked up the first Sin City trade.

fermentor666 - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  6. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

Weapon X - Replied Mar 7, 2005

You must have a cool dad. How you liking Watchmen? After I had read it, I was sure it was one of the best comics ever.

7. fermentor666

fermentor666 - Replied Mar 7, 2005

I think it's pretty good, I've read about 4 of the issues and I'm going back and reading the "autobiography" parts now because I skipped those, then I'm going to finish it. Also started Sin City last night and that's pretty damn wild, too.

I force my father to read some comics, I got him addicted to Sandman and Constantine, also. I tried to get him to read Preacher and Transmetropolitan but they were too crude for his tastes I think.

8. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

Weapon X - Replied Jun 5, 2005

Link.

"Earlier in the year, Moore received a call from "V For Vendetta" writer/producer and "Matrix" director Larry Wachowski, but told him politely, "I didn't want anything to do with films and had no time this year, being in the middle of work, my day job, writing, I wasn't interested in Hollywood."

Shortly afterwards, Alan Moore was made aware of a press release sent out covering a press conference producer Joel Silver and the cast had held.

In this press release, Joel Silver, as well as announcing that the release date November the 5th 2005 was the 100th anniversary of Guy Fawkes attempt on Parliament, instead of the 400th anniversary, also said of Alan, "he was very excited about what Larry had to say and Larry sent the script, so we hope to see him sometime before we're in the UK. We'd just like him to know what we're doing and to be involved in what we're trying to do together"

Alan felt, basically, that his name was being used in vain. Not only had he expressed the opposite to Larry, but his endorsement was being used as a selling point for a movie - the reason he'd requested his credit and association be dropped from all of these movies."

----------------

Alan gave some details about bits of the V For Vendetta shooting script he'd seen. "It was imbecilic; it had plot holes you couldn't have got away with in Whizzer And Chips in the nineteen sixties. Plot holes no one had noticed."

What Moore found most laughable however were the details. "They don't know what British people have for breakfast, they couldn't be bothered. 'Eggy in a basket' apparently. Now the US have 'eggs in a basket,' whish is fried bread with a fried egg in a hole in the middle. I guess they thought we must eat that as well, and thought 'eggy in a basket' was a quaint and Olde Worlde version. And they decided that the British postal service is called Fedco. They'll have thought something like, 'well, what's a British version of FedEx... how about FedCo? A friend of mine had to point out to them that the Fed, in FedEx comes from 'Federal Express.' America is a federal republic, Britain is not."

9. fermentor666

fermentor666 - Replied Jun 5, 2005

Blah, this will be such a letdown. Same with Watchmen. These are comics that just cannot be done in a single movie. Terry Gilliam, who for years tried to get Watchmen off the ground, conceded that the only way it would work would be as a television miniseries.

10. The Leader

The Leader 12oz Senior Member

The Leader - Replied Jun 5, 2005

man, i wish i had this mask and it wasnt going to be part of a movie.

I've always wanted to hold one of those rich people's balls where a bunch of people come with masks.. but classy masks, not that shit you buy at party city.

The Leader - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  11. Gunm

Gunm Banned

Gunm - Replied Jun 5, 2005

::yawn::

Gunm - Rank: Banned - Messages:
  12. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

Hey, LENS, you just can't wait to jump on the bandwagon of the next low budget foreign film, can you?

Yeah, I'm not sure if this movie will be that good, but LENS, you might be missing out on being a cool, well informed, cultured, underground hipster if you haven't read the book.

Oh wait, comic books are for kids, right? You'd rather be painting and drinking with ugly asian broads, right?

13. fermentor666

fermentor666 - Replied Jun 5, 2005

Not even being a hipster. V for Vendetta is one of those books that is relevant even today, over 20 years after it was made. That and Watchmen are one of the best comics ever made.

14. ModelCitizen

ModelCitizen 12oz Member

ModelCitizen - Replied Jun 5, 2005

Yeah both these movies sound like garbage in the making.

Good comics usually lose the "good" when someone tries to make a marketable movie out of them.

From hell was pretty good though, and sin city was definitely an exception, but only an exception because robert rodriguez was so vehement about the movie being an exact translation of miller's work. Like superfan turned director.

I'm glad no one's made dark knight returns into a movie yet. I'd be upset to see that one butchered into some hollywood joke.

Although it seems kinda likely now that miller's proved he can sell his material.

ModelCitizen - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  15. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

From what I hear, From Hell the movie does very little justice to the book. I can't form an opinion on this as I've only seen the movie.

When they first decided to make a new Batman franchise (because the last ones sucked, and because WB needs to make DC into a huge moneymaker), they had three different writers work on their own thing. One of the writers adapted Frank Miller's Batman: Year One, but WB decided to go with Goyer's version. I'm glad that they did, as Year One just wouldn't transfer well.

SO, making a movie with an original story based on a comic book franchise (ie Spider-Man, Hulk, Punisher) have worked out well. I was never disappointed really, because they were good movies, and they weren't trying to do something that has already been done. I don't even consider them 'retcons' because the movies will not tie in with the comics in any respect.

Making a movie completely based on a well respected, 200 page graphic novel might not work out as well.

I think V for Vendetta might come off alright, as may Watchmen...as long as people refrain from comparing the movies to the books.