usin a ruler? What do u think

chez

I've been hearin alot of talk about people usin rulers lately... Personally I dont use a ruler because i think it just lowers my skills but thats just my opinion for myself. I dont have a problem wit people who use rulers on quick pieces as long as they can actually make strait lines. What do you think about usin a ruler on a piece or anything else is it cheatin or is it iight.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

instuments of techical drawing (rulers, compases, protractors, triangles, french curves, etc.) should be reserved for technical drawing. there was one piece i did where i incorperated tecnical drawing into that piece and i felt a precision intrument was nessicary but i firmly believe that a writer that executes pieces free-hand will get much more saticfation out of their work. forget rulers kid, they are just a crutch for weak writers, of coarse opinions may vary.

Originally posted by rinse

instuments of techical drawing (rulers, compases, protractors, triangles, french curves, etc.) should be reserved for technical drawing. there was one piece i did where i incorperated tecnical drawing into that piece and i felt a precision intrument was nessicary but i firmly believe that a writer that executes pieces free-hand will get much more saticfation out of their work. forget rulers kid, they are just a crutch for weak writers, of coarse opinions may vary.

you can't spell for shit.

Originally posted by HOVIE

Yeah I'm from Croydon... I'm gettin a lil tired of it down here thow i should go to my moms for a while shes lives in philly. As for the ruler i agree u get more satisfaction when u dont use one...

you can't spell for shit.

quoted by:destroya

yea, i know... guess i should have gotten my english degree at an ivy league school but i think they actually take points off papers for spelling errors, cant imagine that. and if you think my spelling is bad you should check out some of my run on sentences! they can get mad outa' hand.

Guest imported_b0b
Originally posted by chez

Yeah I'm from Croydon... I'm gettin a lil tired of it down here thow i should go to my moms for a while shes lives in philly. As for the ruler i agree u get more satisfaction when u dont use one...

Hovie thought you were from Croydon in London, UK

do you mean using a ruler when you paint??

if so, how the fuck would you manage that? i can see the toys now standing against a wall, can of chrome in one hand, ruler in the other trying to paint a straight line. how would a ruler accomplish this? surely your paint would just overspray....

if you're painting a wall and you use a stencil of any kind, for any reason other than perhaps some weird fill effect that could not be accomplished without it, then you SUCK. you're a cheater, a liar, and no one that matters will ever respect you.

if you're talking about drawing on paper, use whatever the hell you want. drawing 'graffiti' is not graffiti, and doesnt make you a writer, it makes you a drawer.

Originally posted by HOVIE

yer..when he said "i should go live in philly" i thought "wtf, thats kinda far away":lol:

Yeah i guess i should of said im in the states

To seeking I agree with the stencil and ruler stuff for paint, that just defeats the purpose of style. As for a ruler with paper i gree that paper doesnt matter as much as paint but in my mind if you can paint a strait line you should be able to draw one just as if you can draw a strait line you should be able to paint one. I like to be able to paint as well as i can draw that way i can work stuff out before i take it to a wall.

Originally posted by seeking

if you're painting a wall and you use a stencil of any kind, for any reason other than perhaps some weird fill effect that could not be accomplished without it, then you SUCK. you're a cheater, a liar, and no one that matters will ever respect you.

if you're talking about drawing on paper, use whatever the hell you want. drawing 'graffiti' is not graffiti, and doesnt make you a writer, it makes you a drawer.

Nail driven home.

It's definitely more satisfying to do a freehand straight line though, if you just keep doing them yolu should get it reasonably quickly. Perfect circles too, just keep doing them.

Also, it's sometimes nice not to have that perfectly straight line. It brings a sort of organic effect to the drawing/painting.

Originally posted by onesecondple

use a ruler=dont progress, its that simple

you begin to rely on it, and then when you stop using it, yer lines suck, so you go back

thats wut i think will happen to me if i use one..so i stay away from um. but sum people can do strait lines with or without dont matter so the ruler just gives them more quickness... well to each his own