Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

usin a ruler? What do u think

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by chez, Feb 2, 2004.

1. chez

chez New Jack

I've been hearin alot of talk about people usin rulers lately... Personally I dont use a ruler because i think it just lowers my skills but thats just my opinion for myself. I dont have a problem wit people who use rulers on quick pieces as long as they can actually make strait lines. What do you think about usin a ruler on a piece or anything else is it cheatin or is it iight.

2. rinse

rinse Member

instuments of techical drawing (rulers, compases, protractors, triangles, french curves, etc.) should be reserved for technical drawing. there was one piece i did where i incorperated tecnical drawing into that piece and i felt a precision intrument was nessicary but i firmly believe that a writer that executes pieces free-hand will get much more saticfation out of their work. forget rulers kid, they are just a crutch for weak writers, of coarse opinions may vary.

3. HOVIE

HOVIE Member

4. destroya

destroya Senior Member

you can't spell for shit.

5. chez

chez New Jack

Yeah I'm from Croydon... I'm gettin a lil tired of it down here thow i should go to my moms for a while shes lives in philly. As for the ruler i agree u get more satisfaction when u dont use one...

6. rinse

rinse Member

yea, i know... guess i should have gotten my english degree at an ivy league school but i think they actually take points off papers for spelling errors, cant imagine that. and if you think my spelling is bad you should check out some of my run on sentences! they can get mad outa' hand.

7. Swiffer Jet

Swiffer Jet Elite Member

rulers are good for you to start off but after a while, you should know better.

8. AevOne718

AevOne718 Junior Member

I always figured that for someone who wants to start 3-ds, they can use a ruler. but otherwise i think rulers are not only stupid, but useless as well, everyone knows a natural straight line looks much better than a ruler made.

9. Swiffer Jet

Swiffer Jet Elite Member

joker knows what's up :p

10. Gunm

Gunm Banned

omfg.....WHO CARES?

oh yeah.....if you can't draw a straight line, you shouldn't be "writing"

11. imported_b0b

imported_b0b Guest

Hovie thought you were from Croydon in London, UK

12. sneak

sneak Guest

do you mean using a ruler when you paint??
    if so, how the fuck would you manage that? i can see the toys now standing against a wall, can of chrome in one hand, ruler in the other trying to paint a straight line. how would a ruler accomplish this? surely your paint would just overspray....

13. HOVIE

HOVIE Member

yer..when he said "i should go live in philly" i thought "wtf, thats kinda far away":lol:

14. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

if you're painting a wall and you use a stencil of any kind, for any reason other than perhaps some weird fill effect that could not be accomplished without it, then you SUCK. you're a cheater, a liar, and no one that matters will ever respect you.
    if you're talking about drawing on paper, use whatever the hell you want. drawing 'graffiti' is not graffiti, and doesnt make you a writer, it makes you a drawer.

15. chez

chez New Jack

Yeah i guess i should of said im in the states

To seeking I agree with the stencil and ruler stuff for paint, that just defeats the purpose of style. As for a ruler with paper i gree that paper doesnt matter as much as paint but in my mind if you can paint a strait line you should be able to draw one just as if you can draw a strait line you should be able to paint one. I like to be able to paint as well as i can draw that way i can work stuff out before i take it to a wall.