Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

US involvement in Iraq 80-91

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by seeking, Apr 1, 2003.

1. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

Arming Iraq and the Path to War, by John King

2003-03-31 | This is an accurate chronology of United States' involvement in the arming of Iraq during the Iraq-Iran war. It is a powerful indictment of the current bush administration attempt to sell war as a component of his war on terrorism. It reveals our ambitions in Iraq to be just another chapter in the attempt to regain a foothold in the Mideast following the fall of the Shah of Iran.

A crisis always has a history, and the current crisis with Iraq is no exception. Below are some relevant dates.

September 1980. Iraq invades Iran. The beginning of the Iraq-Iran war. (8)

February 1982. Despite objections from Congress, President Reagan removes Iraq from its list of known terrorist countries. (1)

December 1982. Hughes Aircraft ships 60 Defender helicopters to Iraq. (9)

1982-1988. Defense Intelligence Agency provides detailed information for Iraq on Iranian deployments, tactical planning for battles, plans for air strikes and bomb damage assessments. (4)

November 1983. A National Security Directive states that the U.S would do "whatever was necessary and legal" to prevent Iraq from losing its war with Iran. (1) (15)

November 1983. Banca Nazionale del Lavoro of Italy and its Branch in Atlanta begin to funnel $5 billion in unreported loans to Iraq. Iraq, with the blessing and official approval of the U.S. government, purchased computer controlled machine tools, computers, scientific instruments, special alloy steel and aluminum, chemicals, and other
    industrial goods for Iraq's missile, chemical, biological and nuclear weapons programs. (14)

October 1983. The Reagan Administration begins secretly allowing Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Egypt to transfer United States weapons, including Howitzers, Huey helicopters, and bombs to Iraq. These shipments violated the Arms Export Control Act. (16)

November 1983. George Schultz, the Secretary of State, is given intelligence reports showing that Iraqi troops are daily using chemical weapons against the Iranians. (1)

December 20 1983. Donald Rumsfeld, then a civilian and now Defense Secretary, meets with Saddam Hussein to assure him of US friendship and materials support. (1) (15)

July 1984. CIA begins giving Iraq intelligence necessary to calibrate its mustard gas attacks on Iranian troops. (19)

January 14 1984. State Department memo acknowledges United States shipment of "dual-use" export hardware and technology. Dual use items are civilian items such as heavy trucks, armored ambulances and communications gear as well as industrial technology that can have a military application. (2)

March 1986. The United States with Great Britain block all Security Council resolutions condemning Iraq's use of chemical weapons, and on March 21 the U.S. becomes the only country refusing to sign a Security Council statement condemning Iraq's use of these weapons. (10)

May 1986. The U.S. Department of Commerce licenses 70 biological exports to Iraq between May of 1985 and 1989, including at least 21 batches of lethal strains of anthrax. (3)

May 1986. US Department of Commerce approves shipment of weapons grade botulin poison to Iraq. (7)

March 1987. President Reagan bows to the findings of the Tower Commission admitting the sale of arms to Iran in exchange for hostages. Oliver North uses the profits from the sale to fund an illegal war in Nicaragua. (17)

Late 1987. The Iraqi Air Force begins using chemical agents against Kurdish resistance forces in northern Iraq. (1)

February 1988. Saddam Hussein begins the "Anfal" campaign against the Kurds of northern Iraq. The Iraq regime used chemical weapons against the Kurds killing over 100,000 civilians and destroying over 1,200 Kurdish villages. (8)

April 1988. US Department of Commerce approves shipment of chemicals used in manufacture of mustard gas. (7)

August 1988. Four major battles were fought from April to August 1988, in which the Iraqis massively and effectively used chemical weapons to defeat the Iranians. Nerve gas and blister agents such as mustard gas are used. By this time the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency is heavily involved with Saddam Hussein in battle plan assistance, intelligence gathering and post battle debriefing. In the last major battle with of the war, 65,000 Iranians are killed, many with poison gas. Use of chemical weapons in war is in violation of the Geneva accords of 1925. (6) (13)

August 1988. Iraq and Iran declare a cease fire. (8)

August 1988. Five days after the cease fire Saddam Hussein sends his planes and helicopters to northern Iraq to begin massive chemical attacks against the Kurds. (8)

September 1988. U.S. Department of Commerce approves shipment of weapons grade anthrax and botulinum to Iraq. (7)

September 1988. Richard Murphy, Assistant Secretary of State: "The US-Iraqi relationship is... important to our long-term political and economic objectives." (15)

December 1988. Dow chemical sells $1.5 million in pesticides to Iraq despite knowledge that these would be used in chemical weapons. (1)

July 25, 1990. U.S. Ambassador to Baghdad meets with Hussein to assure him that President Bush "wanted better and deeper relations." Many believe this visit was a trap set for Hussein. A month later Hussein invaded Kuwait thinking the U.S. would not respond. (12)

August 1990. Iraq invades Kuwait. The precursor to the Gulf War. (8)

July 1991. The Financial Times of London reveals that a Florida chemical company had produced and shipped cyanide to Iraq during the 80's using a special CIA courier. Cyanide was used extensively against the Iranians. (11)

August 1991. Christopher Droguol of Atlanta's branch of Banca Nazionale del Lavoro is arrested for his role in supplying loans to Iraq for the purchase of military supplies. He is charged with 347 counts of felony. Droguol is found guilty, but U.S. officials plead innocent of any knowledge of his crime. (14)

June 1992. Ted Koppel of ABC Nightline reports: "It is becoming increasingly clear that George Bush, Sr., operating largely behind the scenes throughout the 1980s, initiated and supported much of the financing, intelligence, and military help that built Saddam's Iraq into [an aggressive power]." (5)

July 1992. "The Bush administration deliberately, not inadvertently, helped to arm Iraq by allowing U.S. technology to be shipped to Iraqi military and to Iraqi defense factories... Throughout the course of the Bush administration, U.S. and foreign firms were granted export licenses to ship U.S. technology directly to Iraqi weapons facilities despite ample evidence showing that these factories were producing weapons." Representative Henry Gonzalez, Texas, testimony before the House. (18)

February 1994. Senator Riegle from Michigan, chairman of the Senate Banking Committee, testifies before the senate revealing large U.S. shipments of dual-use biological and chemical agents to Iraq that may have been used against U.S. troops in the Gulf War and probably was the cause of the illness known as Gulf War Syndrome. (7)

August 2002. "The use of gas [during the Iran-Iraq war] on the battle field by the Iraqis was not a matter of deep strategic concern... We were desperate to make sure that Iraq did not lose." Colonel Walter Lang, former senior U.S. Defense Intelligence officer tells the New York Times. (4)

This chronology of the United States' sordid involvement in the arming of Iraq can be summarized in this way: the United States used methods both legal and illegal to help build Saddam's army into the most powerful army in the Mideast outside of Israel. The U.S. supplied chemical and biological agents and technology to Iraq when it knew Iraq was using chemical weapons against the Iranians. The U.S. supplied the materials and technology for these weapons of mass destruction to Iraq at a time when it was known that Saddam was using this technology to kill his Kurdish citizens. The United States supplied intelligence and battle planning information to Iraq when those battle plans included the use of cyanide, mustard gas and nerve agents. The United States blocked U.N. censure of Iraq's use of chemical weapons. The United States did not act alone in this effort. The Soviet Union was the largest weapons supplier, but England, France and Germany were also involved in the shipment of arms and technology.

So what do these events have to do with the current conflict?

Just this: If we do go to war with Iraq, it is important to know why! War will not really be about terrorism! Twenty years ago the United States threw its support behind Saddam Hussein in a geopolitical bid for enhanced access to oil. The trajectory given him by our support lead directly to the Gulf War and to the current crises. War, after all, will be about a history of misdeeds and miscalculations. And war will not be about morality. War will be about cynicism, deceit and a thirst for oil that knows no boundaries.

John King
    Long Prairie, MN, USA.

(ED. Note: Although this article was written before the attack began, the analysis still rings true.)

Sources

1. Washingtonpost.com. December 30, 2002
    2. Jonathan Broder. Nuclear times, Winter 1990-91
    3. Kurt Nimno. AlterNet. September 23, 2002
    4. Newyorktimes.com. August 29, 2002
    5. ABC Nightline. June 9, 1992
    6. Counter Punch, October 10, 2002
    7. Riegle Report: Dual Use Exports. Senate Committee on Banking. May 25, 1994
    8. Timeline: A walk Through Iraq's History. U.S. Department of State
    9. Doing Business: The Arming of Iraq. Daniel Robichear
    10. Glen Rangwala. Labor Left Briefing, 16 September, 2002
    11. Financial Times of London. July 3, 1991
    12. Elson E. Boles. Counter Punch. October 10, 2002
    13. Iran-Iraq War, 1980-1988. Iranchamber.com
    14. Columbia Journalism Review. March/April 1993. Iraqgate
    15. Times Online. December 31, 2002. How U.S. Helped Iraq Build Deadly Arsenal
    16. Bush's Secret Mission. The New Yorker Magazine. November 2, 1992
    17. Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia: Iran-Contra Affair
    18. Congressional Record. July 27, 1992. Representative Henry B. Gonzalez
    19. Bob Woodward. CIA Aiding Iraq in Gulf War. Washington Post.
    15 December, 1986
    20. WWW.gendercide.com

2. -Rage-

-Rage- 12oz Loyalist

amen

3. uncle-boy

uncle-boy Guest

oops!

looks like seeking wins...........

the hippy award.

j/k

berry berry interesting, but i still think we should whack saddam. :huh?:

4. mental invalid

mental invalid Dirty Dozen Crew

i have been looking for a simple outline like that since this shit started happening a few months ago...nice find seeks...

i guess all i have to say, is that it would be nice if we could learn from our mistakes....time will tell

5. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

roe,
    another really interesting 'timeline', which i have no link to, is the one leading up to the vietnam war. our deceit and back handed politics in that situation easily rival these for dispicableness.

how our government can actually hold their heads up is beyond me.
    then again, so are the people who accept it.

today syria announced their support of iraq and requested that it was every muslims duty to stand up to US aggressions. they also called for suicide bombings (which rumpsfeld likes to call 'homicide bombings').
    this was all in response to our threatening them for allowing weapons to be funneled into iraq through their borders.

seeks/no war for heavy metal

6. metallix

metallix Elite Member

Im SO tired Of this Shit _ When Will People Realize That Only The Strong Survive. Brutality - Death - And Murder Are Political Tools and I'd Rather Have Our Government Exporting It World Wide then "It" here. However on that Note; I do not endorse these actions within the context of any government! That being said - theres *tons* of stuff we don't know about and never will!! THE BEAST IS HUGE. What they teach in schools, the mass media and sometimes the internet are the "Official" Versions of history! If we could all get along peacefully that would be great, we wouldn't have to kill for resources, only trade. However that is not human nature! If it is easier to kill someone and take their shit, then thats whats gunna happen especially when government's have the "license to kill" and especially when your more powerfull then the UN put together. and so on and so on..Everything changes as your perspective changes and any action can be justified in any way when it comes to politics, government.

7. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

ouch

i've been trying to find the cia analysis of the kurdish gassing..
    it was a crucial report by a cia analyst, his findings were not a
    conclusive indictment of iraq, but rather iran.
    i'm not sure how credible it would be..without any cross referencing
    to back it up...but............if anyone knows where to find the
    report or worthy references to it..

8. uncle-boy

uncle-boy Guest

dont stress browny, the gov. is fucked. i think we have enough proof of that already. i think every gov. is fucked, digging up shit over and over isnt gonna help really. altho i do admit knowledge will be spead because of it, and thats a wonderful and powerful thing.

but i think you should use all you energy and obvious itelligence to invent something awsome.

like a flying motorcycle.
    http://www.synergizedsolutions.com/simpsons/pictures/others/frinky_fly.gif'>
    with the flying aroooooouuuunnnd.

9. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

10. mental invalid

seeks if you find the one on vietnam, id love to have that too....ive already frwd your timeline to a few friends who were sorta looking to put history onto a sensible timeline....

although the issue of syria im somewhat against....i mean look, the war has started, i want us to win now....for obvious reasons....i want it done fast with minimal civilians killed, and minimal soilders....and as far as im concernedsyria has some fucking ballz trying to push that shit....and really it doesnt sit well with me...

although jon stewart last nite compared him to an old drunk with a broken battle looking to start a fight with anyone...hahaha

"you wanna piece of me to netherlands"

the US has also accused iran and russia even of the same thing....could end up being a fucking headache

11. grittylifer

grittylifer Banned

so what is an acceptable price for an illegal war? I think Syria has some straight up savagness standing up to the US like that.
    The way I look at it is if Israel started bombing where I live to liberate me from Pete Wilson and the corrupt cops of california and wanted to invade and annex my country while destroying it first I can say I would not be a joyfull liberated californian especially if my entire countrys civilian economy had been fucked off entirley while the invaders have been doing business with the facist motherfucker killing people, or in my case locking up thousands of nonviolent criminals in a for profit corrupt prison industry.

While my analogy may be a bit off.....fuckit im just rambling.
    The hard question is though should we withdraw, cut our losses and enter negotiations for a cease fire after it is certian that the Iraqi people will fight our forces? Or should we let the war -and i dont see how its really a war cause they didnt attack us we invaded them so shouldnt it be called Invasion Iraq? - take its course and hopefully there would be a independant investigation that would cover all aspects of war crimes done by both the UN and the US Congress.

I think the bombing of Iraq is truly unjust. If we were in Iraq plotting a coup for years until the oppurtunity presented itself to either assasinate saddam hussein or take over the country in a way that
    retains the integrity of the citizens who are the real victims in all this not us and our "threat of terror on our shores" or the motherfucker who has been selling oil to our goverment and at least tries to hook up some of his people, I would have no problem with it.
    I find it shocking that with such easily refferencable material and the first ammendment right of freespeach that our nation is so easily goaded into a trivilization of the invasion of a country and the bombing of many cities in the name of protection ourselfes when so many other risks are looming that could present far more disastourous consequences that are being further perpetuated from this illegal "war" thats a unjust invasion into a volitile region of the world.

*edit my grammar skills are not home, please leave a message they will return your call. message 420247.

12. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

that's idealistic.
    at what point will this war become too costly,
    politically, economically, morally
    in order to win? i mean, alot of people have died already
    and this is just the start.

as far as syria, i'm not so sure i understand how they are at fault in any
    of this.

13. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

oop, forgive me if i reiterated anything starman said, i
    didn't see his post...

14. mental invalid

we should not withdraw, we should not conceed...

im not about to have my fucking government say to some poor orphan....look, this whole war thing its just not working out on this end...look i know we promised liberation and all that jazz, and we dropped some bombs that killed your family, but its just not in our interest anymore....sorry, and hope your not part of the minority in iraq cause if you think saddam was pissed back in 91 you aint seen nothing yet....

we dicked em over before, i refuse to leave that fucking country a mess...

like your mom use to say...you fucking made the mess, you fucking clean it up....its that simple

im not for this war, although im not opposed to war in general....but im not about to leave that country a fucking disaster....

we are doing the same shit in afghanistan, and i dont want to see us do it again....

americas worst trait is our lack of attention.......

15. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

after reading starman's post...

there's a ton to be shocked about.
    the most shocking thing to me is the complete
    apathy which the bush team routinely stomps
    all over. granted alot of people are doing their
    part.
    peter arnett got sacked by nbc, which is owned by
    general electric, which is a prime military industrial
    complex contractor for basically speaking his mind, not
    to mention filing contradictory reports to the pentagon's.
    this is a guy that made cnn probly millions if not more
    during the first gulf war for putting his life on the
    to get the truth out; they sacked him too.

you don't have to go too far back to be shocked at
    whats going down in washinton..forget the 80's and 90's,
    look at the last 2 freakin' years, there is plenty of ammo
    right there.