Urban Shootout Raises Eyebrows

courtorder

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/05/10/...ain694133.shtml

watch the video

(CBS) A 15-minute car chase through a Los Angeles neighborhood that ended in a barrage of bullets is spurring a host of questions.

CBS News Correspondent Sandra Hughes notes that, even in gang-hardened Compton, Calif., the middle of the night gun battle just yards away from people's homes was a startling wakeup call.

"I'm hearing Fourth of July. That's exactly what it was. Gunfire everywhere," says freelance cameraman Jesse Escochea, who caught the shootout on tape, following along as sheriff's deputies chased a sport utility vehicle driven by a man suspected in a shooting.

Ten deputies unleashed a hail of bullets, Hughes says. Eleven shots hit nearby homes.

"Get out of here! There's shots fired!" one deputy screamed at Escochea when he spotted him shooting the video.

"He yells several times to get out of here, so I pop up, and when I popped up, I'm seeing several deputies with their guns pointed down range towards me," Escochea says.

It happened so fast, but when the smoke cleared, police found no weapon inside the vehicle. The suspect, 44-year-old Winston Hayes, was injured, along with one sheriff's deputy, shot by other deputies.

"I saw three deputies to my left," Escochea continued. "They were trying to take cover, they didn't know who was firing. I know that had to be going through their minds, 'cause they were just dunking for cover."

Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca vows an investigation into the shooting: "There's no such thing as a safe shooting. …and that's why we want to take a look at this very closely, because the aspect of shooting in urban areas is very problematic and dangerous under all circumstances," he says.

In the light of day, Hughes adds, Hayes' bullet-riddled car shows just how problematic and dangerous.

fuck crossfire (pun fully intended, damnit)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

You should have seen the car chase I saw today. Some fool went out of an alley up a one way steet in noontime traffic, dinged 4 cars trying to get through, almost ran up the hood of a taxi. When he got up to the intersection he did a few donuts right in front of a cop then sped off down the hill. it was straight out of the movies. it was insane. Downtown and everything. Fool could have killed more people than some dude "suspected" of a shooting.

if that guy i saw didn't get shot, why the hell did this guy in compton get done up?

Guest sneak

everyone is missing the best part of the story...

Originally posted by courtorder@May 11 2005, 04:33 AM

The suspect, 44-year-old Winston Hayes, was injured, along with one sheriff's deputy, shot by other deputies.

they shot 120 shots, no kills but they hit their own man?

bravo!

Originally posted by sneak+May 11 2005, 06:38 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sneak - May 11 2005, 06:38 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>everyone is missing the best part of the story...

<!--QuoteBegin-courtorder@May 11 2005, 04:33 AM

The suspect, 44-year-old Winston Hayes, was injured, along with one sheriff's deputy, shot by other deputies.

bravo!

[/b]

:haha: :haha: :haha:

they only hit him 4 times.

yet 5 houses got hit with bullets.

cop gets shot by his own crew.

their excuse out here in LA is that he reversed (slowly) to try to get away and there was a sheriff behind him, he got spooked and thought he was trying to run him down and started popping off shots. the other officers gut instinct is to start shooting thinking he's shooting at them. and another sheriff trips over himself and his buddies see him trip and think he's been hit and retaliate.

don't run from the cops and expect not to get fucked up, right or wrong thats how it is.

but 100 plus shots is fuckin' sick.

If guns are drawn at your vehicle, DO NOT move the vehicle, however slowly you want to movie it.

A few years ago, a kid in a stoley got shot in the head and killed for slooowly reversing the ride. What's fucked up is that the cops were called by the driver's mother - she wanted to just have him arrested and taught a lesson. Stupid fucking mom.

What's good is that the little brother went to court and stabbed the dirty pig in the neck. The pig didn't die, but he had mad blood squirting out, and I'm sure he'll never forget it.

The kid brother did a little time in juvie, then did the rest of his sentence with my buddy in group home. I think he did the right thing.

Guest spectr

nothing new here though it would be great if we could do the same shit the cops do to them shoot them then get our friends together to " investigate " ( see drink beer and smoke blunts ) then tell everyone that the shooting was warrented and that we are doing a good job.

Originally posted by sneak+May 11 2005, 11:38 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sneak - May 11 2005, 11:38 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>everyone is missing the best part of the story...

Originally posted by courtorder@May 11 2005, 04:33 AM

bravo!

[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-fermentor666@May 11 2005, 06:32 AM

So they shot a hundred and fifty bullets between 11 police officers and couldn't even get a kill shot?

Firsties.

Originally posted by Pistol+May 11 2005, 12:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pistol - May 11 2005, 12:28 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>

don't run from the cops and expect not to get fucked up, right or wrong thats how it is.

but 100 plus shots is fuckin' sick.

[/b]

[CHRIS ROCK] "If you make a cop chase you, he's probably going to bring an ass-kicking with him" [/CHRIS ROCK]

Originally posted by beelkaemoney@May 11 2005, 12:54 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Weapon X@May 11 2005, 01:18 AM

Lefleur Lafleur Escochea

yesh yesh yall..cause helter skelter be the best yall..

ay carumba starang gun clappa numba..one on your set man i cut you like lumber.."

it was a fab 5 (hs+ogc) track, and starang is in ogc. go cop that sean price monkey barz lp.