Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Urban Planning and the LAW lol

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by bobobi11, Dec 7, 2001.

1. bobobi11

bobobi11 Elite Member

Three great books on urban planning with at least a portion of the dust jacket. I highly recommend any of these books if you have and interest in urban planning and really urban management.

The Geography of Nowhere: The Rise and Decline of America's Man-Made Landscapes.

Traces America's evolution from a nation of Main Streets and coherent communities to a land where every place is like no place in particular, where the cities are dead zones and the countryside is a wasteland of cartoon architecture and parking lots.

In elegant and often hilarious prose, Kunstler depicts our nation's evolution from the Pilgrim settlements to the modern auto suburb in all its ghastliness. The Geography of Nowhere tallies up the huge economic, social, and spiritual costs that America is paying for its car-crazed lifestyle. It is also a wake-up call for citizens to reinvent the places where we live and work, to build communities that are once again worthy of our affection. Kunstler proposes that by reviving civic art and civic life, we will rediscover public virtue and a new vision of the common good. "The future will require us to build better places," Kunstler says, "or the future will belong to other people in other societies."

The Good City and the Good Life: Renewing the Sense of Community
    Daniel Kemmis

From the Author's Foreward: "By thousands of small, patient steps, whole cities are learning once again to take responsibilities for the lives and the hopes of their children. As cities come to understand that they themselves cannot survive if their children have no hope, the nurturing of hope becomes part of the city's work, and with it the nurturing and rebuilding of trust, without which democracy simply disintegrates."

City Comforts: How to Build an Urban Village
    David Sucher

This book shows example of small things - city comforts - that make urban life pleasant: places where people can meet, methods to tame cars and to make buildings good neighbors, art that infuses personality into locations and makes them into places. Many of these small details are so obvious as to be invisible.

2. nomadawhat

nomadawhat Veteran Member

good shit. I just got done w/ a speech class, and this was my topic for the semester. Focused on sprawl and urban develpment . may check these out.

3. Vanity

Vanity Veteran Member

i'd be an urban planner if it werent for all the economics courses. plus i figure most planning is going toward suburbs, zzzzzzz

4. bobobi11

bobobi11 Elite Member

Okay some of you people asked for this so I'm bumping for hopefully more replies.