Urban Exploration/Speology

LeopoldBloom

This is directly tied to the whole graffiti life but on a more adventure tip. I was wondering how many--if any--of you have endeavored either into the doldrums of the local drainage system, the heights of that abandon shoe factory downtown, the haughty 5-star hotel's pool, or anything. I'm talking flat-out illegal trespassing (sans paint/markers/etc) or even not-so-illegal adventures into places you're just not really supposed to go but no one ever really said "don't do that."

For more of what I mean, go to infiltration.org and get inspired...

I just moved to a new town and there's tons of shit here to explore. A huge abandoned factory (that will remain nameless to preserve my location), an old subway system, drainage tunnels and old hotels... I can't wait. Today it gets wrecked... I hope I don't.

Let's hear what you got.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i remember reading that infiltration online zine a while back. urban exploring is awesome.. i try to get my friends to go into hotel basements and attics with me, but they aren't havin it... there is this abandoned mental institution in norwich i believe..... i hear stories about it all the time... i plan on checkin that out sometime soon.... if anybody is around new london, you're welcome to join me.. i think that shit would be wild...

ahaha word? i used to do tat shit. in middletown (CT) theres this old fucked up nunery by mercy highschool all up in the woods and shit. it was fucked up cause to get in you had to climb through cells in the ground go all the way through the basement and climb up elevator shafts and shit. that place has since scared the fuck outta me and i now believe in ghosts. i know what evil smells like (like dead people and burning rubber) and im permenantly fucked up cause of it. well not really, but that place is fucked up. i dont know why we all went back like 5 some odd times

Yeah, those Cave Clan cats are all about it... given the massive underground infrastructure that the whole of Austrailia's metropolis is built upon, they should be.

All I need to do is find someone to do this with, it's just not safe to go alone.

Try rotteneggs.com too if you're felling this topic.

there are a shit load of rusted out mills and other industrial plants in my part...and those things are fuckin crazy cuz everything is huge...giant parts...i always wonder what machine makes those big fuckin parts...anyways they are like gigantor jungle gyms...but the coolest was running into this enormous sand box with an anbandon crane in the sand...the sand reflected the moonlight

yeah it's definitely not good to explore alone.. for one.. scary fuckin mental ghosts my try to eat your ass... and second, it's just not safe... the sand reflecting the moonlight is a nice mental image... wish i could find some cool shit like that around here...

most midwest major cities seem to have a good ammount of old abandoned shit good for "urban exploration" or whatever.. especially in the ghetto parts of town.

when you look at those websights it seems like those guys get way to into it, like they think theyre some kind of comandos with full gear and outfits and crap... seem more like a bunch of dorks that read too much soldier of fortune when they were younger... for the most part theyre just trecking through spots where bums hang out with nothing more than an old flannel and a bag full of aluminum cans to protect themselves with...

exploring and painting abandoned and forgotten shit has always been one of the main focuses of mine, and a lot of people that ive been down with over the years, but we never needed some gay spytech headsets with infa-red goggles or anything.. just long sleaves and a hat.

peace.

Originally posted by chester copperpot

most midwest major cities seem to have a good ammount of old abandoned shit good for "urban exploration" or whatever.. especially in the ghetto parts of town.

when you look at those websights it seems like those guys get way to into it, like they think theyre some kind of comandos with full gear and outfits and crap... seem more like a bunch of dorks that read too much soldier of fortune when they were younger... for the most part theyre just trecking through spots where bums hang out with nothing more than an old flannel and a bag full of aluminum cans to protect themselves with...

exploring and painting abandoned and forgotten shit has always been one of the main focuses of mine, and a lot of people that ive been down with over the years, but we never needed some gay spytech headsets with infa-red goggles or anything.. just long sleaves and a hat.

peace.

i agree. these folks get way too into it. i never needed any of that crap when exploring spots. just watch for needles i say. (deathly scared of needles). man i shoulddo more of this.... i miss doing it. all the places ive been.......

Yeah that shit is scaaaaaary. I just got back from this drain I found and thought I was man enough to tackle alone. Hell no! I got about 100 feet in and bugged out. I kept hearing shit and swearing I saw something over there or there. Man, that creeps me the fuck out. No more solo missions.

As for those Australians, they're in it to win it... rafts, IR goggles... they probably pack they're own Richard Dean Andersons incase they need a MacGyver. But aren't we the dorks that--among other seemingly ridiculous things--make our own markers and insist on writing our noms de plume on everything...

I'm just happy that I found a new lay-up in my new town.

me and some friends recently took a rubber raft out to an inactive naval base appropriately named skagg's island. the place was amazing, we were able to get into everything including the old communications building and huge hangar like buildings.. we even got some cool souvenirs

Climbing

I like to climb fire escapes and ladder if i can get at them just to see where they go, I want tot ake like a scaling class, and get the ropes and shit and hang my self over over passes!!! but i have this fear of heights thing, but im still going to see if its possible.:D

I was down at Belmont today getting flicks. I wonder where that fucking tunnel goes? I heard it goes a mile or two towards downtown LA.... Too bad it reeks of piss and shit! I walked down a ways and it starts gettin real dark. Maybe next time I'll bring a flash light and do some urban explorin' of my own. Anyone ever take a trek thru the tunnel???

• 3 years later...

apparently the cave clan stumbled upon a certain secret army base that was long forgotten by our goverment under neth melbourne city and it was suposed 2 contain some pretty cool shit like old weapons and tanks and crap , damn i wish id found it imagine the dollars u could make on the guns alone!!!!!. i got some pretty cool drains in my home town i should check em out but im 2 lazy!

kickass topic. i've got tomorrow off and this has inspired me to go exploring. i haven't done that shit in awhile. it's such a cool feeling to be inside of some random building and know that you're one of the few people to be in there within the last year.

edit - aside from crackheads of course. those fuckers are like cockroaches. they're everywhere.

Oh yeah, that shits the way to go. Urban caving is fun. My friends and I opened the manhole into an intersection once... it was kinda freaky. I also checked an abandoned hospital once, and there were all these pictures of bloody infected body parts all over the floor (in a biohazard room, mind you). Lotsa abandoned buildings, like old factories and hotels and shit. Those places are fun to explore, and to paint.

Urban exploration is one of the things im into that have come about because of graffiti. Since i was always looking for places to bomb, abandoned place were always prime for when i just wanted to chill and shit. Wel, i became intrigued by being in abandoned spots just because of the exploration aspect of it.

Here, my town its a kindda post depresion industryal town, so we have a los of abandoned factoryes, some ones are burned in some parts cause owners use to do that to get the insurance money, once we found the cabonized corpse of a cat, kindda funny & creappy at the same time, ho! & yes urban exploration it's great! mix it with graff & you get tons of hystories to tell :)

Archived