Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Urban Exploration/Speology

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by LeopoldBloom, Nov 7, 2001.

1. LeopoldBloom

LeopoldBloom New Jack

This is directly tied to the whole graffiti life but on a more adventure tip. I was wondering how many--if any--of you have endeavored either into the doldrums of the local drainage system, the heights of that abandon shoe factory downtown, the haughty 5-star hotel's pool, or anything. I'm talking flat-out illegal trespassing (sans paint/markers/etc) or even not-so-illegal adventures into places you're just not really supposed to go but no one ever really said "don't do that."

For more of what I mean, go to infiltration.org and get inspired...

I just moved to a new town and there's tons of shit here to explore. A huge abandoned factory (that will remain nameless to preserve my location), an old subway system, drainage tunnels and old hotels... I can't wait. Today it gets wrecked... I hope I don't.

Let's hear what you got.

2. beardo

beardo Guest

awesome topic, i think it would go over better in the third rail though..

3. graffitiSUX

graffitiSUX Senior Member

visit this site

http://www.caveclan.org/

it is a group that originated in melbourne a good few years back who explore tunnels, drains, or anything underground.

4. cornelius

cornelius Member

i remember reading that infiltration online zine a while back. urban exploring is awesome.. i try to get my friends to go into hotel basements and attics with me, but they aren't havin it... there is this abandoned mental institution in norwich i believe..... i hear stories about it all the time... i plan on checkin that out sometime soon.... if anybody is around new london, you're welcome to join me.. i think that shit would be wild...

5. iCEBERG

iCEBERG Senior Member

ahaha word? i used to do tat shit. in middletown (CT) theres this old fucked up nunery by mercy highschool all up in the woods and shit. it was fucked up cause to get in you had to climb through cells in the ground go all the way through the basement and climb up elevator shafts and shit. that place has since scared the fuck outta me and i now believe in ghosts. i know what evil smells like (like dead people and burning rubber) and im permenantly fucked up cause of it. well not really, but that place is fucked up. i dont know why we all went back like 5 some odd times

6. LeopoldBloom

LeopoldBloom New Jack

Yeah, those Cave Clan cats are all about it... given the massive underground infrastructure that the whole of Austrailia's metropolis is built upon, they should be.

All I need to do is find someone to do this with, it's just not safe to go alone.

Try rotteneggs.com too if you're felling this topic.

7. NOVAGIRL

NOVAGIRL Member

there are a shit load of rusted out mills and other industrial plants in my part...and those things are fuckin crazy cuz everything is huge...giant parts...i always wonder what machine makes those big fuckin parts...anyways they are like gigantor jungle gyms...but the coolest was running into this enormous sand box with an anbandon crane in the sand...the sand reflected the moonlight

8. cornelius

cornelius Member

yeah it's definitely not good to explore alone.. for one.. scary fuckin mental ghosts my try to eat your ass... and second, it's just not safe... the sand reflecting the moonlight is a nice mental image... wish i could find some cool shit like that around here...

9. chester copperpot

chester copperpot Junior Member

most midwest major cities seem to have a good ammount of old abandoned shit good for "urban exploration" or whatever.. especially in the ghetto parts of town.

when you look at those websights it seems like those guys get way to into it, like they think theyre some kind of comandos with full gear and outfits and crap... seem more like a bunch of dorks that read too much soldier of fortune when they were younger... for the most part theyre just trecking through spots where bums hang out with nothing more than an old flannel and a bag full of aluminum cans to protect themselves with...

exploring and painting abandoned and forgotten shit has always been one of the main focuses of mine, and a lot of people that ive been down with over the years, but we never needed some gay spytech headsets with infa-red goggles or anything.. just long sleaves and a hat.

peace.

10. T.T Boy

T.T Boy Dirty Dozen Crew

i agree. these folks get way too into it. i never needed any of that crap when exploring spots. just watch for needles i say. (deathly scared of needles). man i shoulddo more of this.... i miss doing it. all the places ive been.......

11. LeopoldBloom

LeopoldBloom New Jack

Yeah that shit is scaaaaaary. I just got back from this drain I found and thought I was man enough to tackle alone. Hell no! I got about 100 feet in and bugged out. I kept hearing shit and swearing I saw something over there or there. Man, that creeps me the fuck out. No more solo missions.

As for those Australians, they're in it to win it... rafts, IR goggles... they probably pack they're own Richard Dean Andersons incase they need a MacGyver. But aren't we the dorks that--among other seemingly ridiculous things--make our own markers and insist on writing our noms de plume on everything...

I'm just happy that I found a new lay-up in my new town.

12. n

n Junior Member

me and some friends recently took a rubber raft out to an inactive naval base appropriately named skagg's island. the place was amazing, we were able to get into everything including the old communications building and huge hangar like buildings.. we even got some cool souvenirs

13. Vanity

Vanity Veteran Member

just steam tunnels. minneapolis is supposed to have an absolutely amazingly complex tunnel system... maybe even better than nyc. i've been too pussy to go on any solo missions. a shame, cause my home city is supposed to have great spots too

14. blood as ink

blood as ink Guest