1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Union Pacific fleet revisions

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by Cracked Ass, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass 12oz Veteran Member

Union Pacific fleet revisions

Discussion started by Cracked Ass - Aug 2, 2004

This is mostly for news and sightings of restamps, repaints, and refurbishing of UP's various fleets.
    We all know the Solid Colds got chopped, channeled, and repainted into Chilled Express.
    Right now the gold UPFEs are rapidly turning into white ARMNs with the UP shield on the upper right instead of Chilled Express. People should be getting flicks of anything noteworthy on gold UPFEs before they all vanish under the new paint.
    Golden Wests are the latest issue. Due to deprescription (explained elsewhere), Golden Wests are losing their old shortline marks (GVSR, VCY) and getting restamped with other marks owned by UP (SSW, SP in particular). The first bunch of Golden West restamps I saw made me relax: it looked like they were just restamping the numbers and load limits and not buffing the cars.
    But there's a new and ominous development: I just encountered a freshpaint red SSW flat, paint date 6/04, build date '73. I looked closely under the paint job and saw the old decals: it had been a GVSR 768xxx series car. So some Golden Wests are getting a total repaint and reporting mark change. I don't know how widespread this will be. But it's a threat to the Golden West fleet, and there will never be any new Golden Wests, since they were essentially a paper company front for the now defunct Southern Pacific. There is a lot of classic west coast and other shit on these cars, stuff with historical value. Again, I would encourage anyone who benches and takes flicks to consider concentrating on documenting all decent Golden West stuff before these cars start to get rare. It's early yet, there's still a million of them out there, but it's not too early to flick stuff that will soon be history.

Cracked Ass - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  2. ghostvandal

ghostvandal 12oz Senior Member

ghostvandal - Replied Aug 2, 2004

shiiit thanks for all these info cracked ass.. i just did my second golden west last night..i feel so lucky now!
    do you think that the gvsr already restamped and owned by other companies like BN will get repainted too?

ghostvandal - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  3. MomuhsBoi

MomuhsBoi New Jack

MomuhsBoi - Replied Aug 2, 2004

Thank You...:eek:

MomuhsBoi - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  4. Beast

Beast 12oz Member

Beast - Replied Aug 2, 2004

good point.......keep the memories alive!

Beast - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  5. THE CORONER

THE CORONER Banned

THE CORONER - Replied Aug 3, 2004

word to big bird

THE CORONER - Rank: Banned - Messages:
  6. fr8otech

fr8otech 12oz Senior Member

fr8otech - Replied Aug 3, 2004

I've seen the stamps, but had no idea they were repainting them.

I make it a point to flick every GVSR/VCY/SSW I see, even if they have garbage on them, because where I'm at, they aren't common.

So these red freshpaints...are they coded VCY/GVSR or they're all SSW/SP?

Either way...this is why we bench. Documentation.

fr8otech - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  7. beer me

beer me New Jack

beer me - Replied Aug 3, 2004

thanks for the info.. between you and Kabar you guys have made up about 80 % of my knowledge about freights..

beer me - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  8. IRON HEAD

IRON HEAD 12oz Senior Member

IRON HEAD - Replied Aug 4, 2004

yea i seen a couple of GVSR's retamped SP... Sux if they are starting to dissappear...

IRON HEAD - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  9. KaBar2

KaBar2 12oz Senior Member

KaBar2 - Replied Aug 5, 2004

Every time I read one of Cracked's threads

I learn tons of good information. You de man, C-A.

KaBar2 - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  10. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass - Replied Aug 5, 2004

No. Different company = different schedule for repaints. Although I never heard of a Golden West of any type with BN marks. Remember, Golden West restamps SP and SSW have NOT changed hands - they were owned by UP, and are still owned by UP. They just changed the reporting marks because there is no longer a financial benefit for leasing the shortline marks GVSR and VCY. The only Golden West I ever saw that was bought by another RR and restamped was a ridged lumber box (the kind west coast heads are bored with: local, ridges, double door, no good panel) stamped TKEN, which is Tenneken Rail and not a UP company.
    The overall Golden West fleet is enormous, and A) it would take forever to repaint them all and B) I don't think they're trying to do them all. So keep rocking these cars.
    I know people with the mentality that when they hear a certain fleet or car type gets buffed or is being repainted, they avoid hitting them, not wanting to "waste their paint". I see it a different way: you get to hit and flick a paint scheme that is getting rarer, and you get the "last word" on that car before it becomes something else.

11. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass - Replied Aug 5, 2004

Sorry, didn't see this the first time.
    The red freshpaint I saw was an SSW 23xxx series. Which is extra weird because there already is such a series, the old SSW Hydracushion flats. Although a lot of the original Hydracushions are rusted to fuck and may have been scrapped, which opens up "dead" car numbers that can be reassigned to these freshpaints.
    For the record, there will be no new cars or repaints coming out of the UP fleet with GVSR or VCY marks. GVSR is Galveston Railroad of Texas; VCY is Ventura County RR. These are shortline RRs that never ran the Golden West fleet, and never will. They just let Southern Pacific, the creator of Golden Wests, put their reporting mark on those cars for a small fee. Doing this saved SP some money over a couple years, but not nearly enough to avoid being taken over by Union Pacific.

12. SWX1994

SWX1994 12oz Member

SWX1994 - Replied Aug 5, 2004

thats good info. especially for a nerd like me always looking to get fliks of shit that will someday be "rare".

what about the golden west non-boxcars (airslides, covered hoppers, open top hoppers etc.) since there are less of them do you think they will go first?

as for the golden oldies. i saw this coming but its still hard to believe.
    only because there is so much vintage shit on them...its like they never buffed them shits.

but all that being said, for those into benching and collecting it would be a good idea to get your documentation on. there is still a lot of good graff on the golden oldies and the golden wests

SWX1994 - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  13. InnerCityRebel

InnerCityRebel 12oz Veteran Member

InnerCityRebel - Replied Aug 5, 2004

I know this day was coming.I have a shit load of flicks of the old VCY and GVSR's.I see them everytime i am at the yard.Damn i love those bad boys.It will be sad to see the gold and blue cars slowing disappear.

InnerCityRebel - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  14. rollinaround

rollinaround 12oz Member

rollinaround - Replied Aug 6, 2004

Don't panic guys...the up is in a finacial booboo, that is why they stopped re-vamping ALL the upfe's,plus they are two different cars used for 2 differnt things, yellow bok bok bok, white mooooooo
    ...golden west re-paints(stenciled) are specifiying who owns/leased them...so refer to the first sentence......BUT I have seen buffed gvsr's and did scratch my head as well.:eek:

rollinaround - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  15. ghostvandal

ghostvandal 12oz Senior Member

ghostvandal - Replied Aug 6, 2004

bok bok bok?
    i ve seen chilled express with carrots, oranges, etc..what does the upfe carries? its supposed to be different?

ghostvandal - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages: