Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Uniformity

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by Nervous, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Nervous

Nervous Junior Member

Don't you seem to notice after being in this game for long time graff all looks very similar! I mean, after 13 years of painting I am bored of what I see!
    Don't get me wrong, but there are very few who are different and if you take just a few writers from ArtCrimes for example, on the Home Page, and click on the updates, who out of those three writers, who has something that the others in the graffiti community don't have.
    I guess I am just unimpressed with graff these days. That includes myself for that matter. Where will this sub-culture turn to once the middle era of our chromosone changes? How will our idealistic behaviour adapt to technology in the next coming years? Can we change graff? Or is it always going to be stuck in this

repetative cycle
    repetative cycle
    repetative cycle......
    oh sorry I am repeating myself!
    *cough* *cough*

where does graff go next?

2. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

Don't you seem to notice after being in this game for long time posts all looks very similar! I mean, after 4 years of posting I am bored of what I see!
    Don't get me wrong, but there are very few who are different and if you take just a few posters from channel zero for example, on the 'post myspace pics' thread, and click on the pics, who out of those emo sluts, who has something that the others in the myspace community don't have.
    I guess I am just unimpressed with posts these days. That includes myself for that matter. Where will this web-culture turn to once the middle era of our chromosone changes? How will our idealistic behaviour adapt to technology in the next coming board updates? Can we change user titles? Or is it always going to be stuck in this

veteran member......
    oh sorry I am repeating myself!
    *cough* *cough*

where does 12oz go next?

3. slave_one

slave_one Elite Member

whoa...dejavu.

i also ponder these questions that you bring up from time to time;
    but then there a million answers and a million opinions to go along with it.
    it is futile to think about these things. i always find myself coming back
    to whatever it is i get bored with anyway: graffiti, sex, 12oz...

and then the cycle continues.

4. Nervous

Nervous Junior Member

in each section of graff there has been an evolution in its form. I ask this because in Renaissance there where the frescos of that period, then then it has clearly evolved to aerosol. But for the last 30 years we have begun something. Yet there has been no significant impact on "graffiti's" lifestyle.
    I suggest a change, maybe this post can begin something! I mean why not try something that is different, for example ABOVE (for the last 30 mins I went searching for his work online, but I am dumbfounded on where
    it was I saw his work:confused: ) otherwise maybe you can change the scene somewhat. And I am not talking about killer letters and crazy wildstyle, I mean something that is poignant in its element. Something that is not innovative but innventive! That is my proposal to any of you who desire a change in the ever so redundant urban lifestyle!
    I know I will try!

:idea:

5. Nervous

Nervous Junior Member

i tell ya, maybe billboards! something 3 dimensional!

i dunno how, but it's a thought!

6. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

'I suggest a change, maybe this post can begin something! "

this thread is a joke, right?

7. Max.Power

Max.Power New Jack

seeking you are very witty but grow up...

8. Nervous

Nervous Junior Member

Seeking: aren't you bored of graff and it non-evolutional change?
    I mean if you could change anything other than me posting this, what would you change? Because it seems to be that you are locked in your own box and that the paradigm shift is about you!

Just a thought, not an attack on your personal hygene...;)

9. porque

porque Senior Member

...this is a joke right?...i mean seriously, 'evolutionary change'?...we're still talking about graffiti right?...a bunch of kids that have no respect and paint their made-up names on things?...you're talking like you think this is going to change the way 'art' does...this isn't 'art'...it's vandalism...

10. Max.Power

Max.Power New Jack

art is in the eye of the beholder my friend... grafitti is a beautiful art, with a ugly repuitation.

11. porque

porque Senior Member

...you might think that graffiti looks nice...but it's not art...beauty is in the eye of the beholder...not art...art is whatever the art world says it is...

12. GermanAccent

GermanAccent New Jack

And so zee cycle continues....

13. test

test Junior Member

To say graffiti is not art is an obvious sign that you don't understand it. Not all of it is vandalism, only the illegal jobs. It is a medium of expression, a creative one, that branchs into many art forms, from simple stencils to pasting posters to throwing up fantastic and elaborate paintings. It is a newer, modern, urban form of expression, one that says fuck you to rules on proprty and is a rape of ones thoughts into the viewers minds. Perhaps some kids jsut write a big ugly "fuck you" and that is the equivalent of stick figures. Some do take it to a higher level and acheive great creativity. Nervous, I have not looked on the Art Crimes site much, but some artists in tm from memphis have definitely done some very high work, http://www.graffiti.org/tm/tm_2.html
    You ought to check them out, I don't know how it compares to other things you've seen but it madly inspries me every time I see a piece from them, as an artist, a graf writer, and a person. I guess they don't get up much anymore, but the mark they have left is amazing.
    Personally I would like to see more writing in media other than paint, like metal working, scultiping, 3d graphics, even architecture who knows. maybe even intgrating into design like car design, bicycles, shrug. There are properties of different writing styles that fit well into other things, like sleek looks and flowing design, etc. Writers interested in "evolving" graffiti forms should push themselves to bend and craft those attributes of good graffiti into other forms. wouldn't it be dope to see a birds eye view of a neighborhood and realize whoever lanend the street ayout jsut wrote out his word and fixed up the extensions and letters and shit into streets. These are basic ideas, be more creative, raise the bar. Peace

14. porque

porque Senior Member

...reading that made me realize that you have absolutely no clue what art is...

15. test

test Junior Member

Art:

#

1. The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.
    2. The study of these activities.
    3. The product of these activities; human works of beauty considered as a group.

# High quality of conception or execution, as found in works of beauty; aesthetic value.
    # A field or category of art, such as music, ballet, or literature.
    # A nonscientific branch of learning; one of the liberal arts.
    #

1. A system of principles and methods employed in the performance of a set of activities: the art of building.
    2. A trade or craft that applies such a system of principles and methods: the art of the lexicographer.

#

1. Skill that is attained by study, practice, or observation: the art of the baker; the blacksmith's art.
    2. Skill arising from the exercise of intuitive faculties: “Self-criticism is an art not many are qualified to practice” (Joyce Carol Oates).

#

1. arts Artful devices, stratagems, and tricks.
    2. Artful contrivance; cunning.

# Printing. Illustrative material.

Art ([aum]rt), n. [F. art, L. ars, artis, orig., skill in joining or fitting; prob. akin to E. arm, aristocrat, article.] 1. The employment of means to accomplish some desired end; the adaptation of things in the natural world to the uses of life; the application of knowledge or power to practical purposes.

Blest with each grace of nature and of art. --Pope.

2. A system of rules serving to facilitate the performance of certain actions; a system of principles and rules for attaining a desired end; method of doing well some special work; -- often contradistinguished from science or speculative principles; as, the art of building or engraving; the art of war; the art of navigation.

Science is systematized knowledge . . . Art is knowledge made efficient by skill. --J. F. Genung.

3. The systematic application of knowledge or skill in effecting a desired result. Also, an occupation or business requiring such knowledge or skill.

The fishermen can't employ their art with so much success in so troubled a sea. --Addison.

4. The application of skill to the production of the beautiful by imitation or design, or an occupation in which skill is so employed, as in painting and sculpture; one of the fine arts; as, he prefers art to literature.

5. pl. Those branches of learning which are taught in the academical course of colleges; as, master of arts.

In fearless youth we tempt the heights of arts. --Pope.

Four years spent in the arts (as they are called in colleges) is, perhaps, laying too laborious a foundation. --Goldsmith.

6. Learning; study; applied knowledge, science, or letters. [Archaic]

So vast is art, so narrow human wit. --Pope.

7. Skill, dexterity, or the power of performing certain actions, acquired by experience, study, or observation; knack; as, a man has the art of managing his business to advantage.

8. Skillful plan; device.

They employed every art to soothe . . . the discontented warriors. --Macaulay.

9. Cunning; artifice; craft.

Madam, I swear I use no art at all. --Shak.

Animals practice art when opposed to their superiors in strength. --Crabb.

10. The black art; magic. [Obs.] --Shak
    n 1: the products of human creativity; works of art collectively; "an art exhibition"; "a fine collection of art" [syn: fine art] 2: the creation of beautiful or significant things; "art does not need to be innovative to be good"; "I was never any good at art"; "he said that architecture is the art of wasting space beautifully" [syn: artistic creation, artistic production] 3: a superior skill that you can learn by study and practice and observation; "the art of conversation"; "it's quite an art" [syn: artistry, prowess] 4: photographs or other visual representations in a printed publication; "the publisher was responsible for all the artwork in the book" [syn: artwork, graphics, nontextual matter]

Artist
    n.

1. One, such as a painter, sculptor, or writer, who is able by virtue of imagination and talent or skill to create works of aesthetic value, especially in the fine arts.
    2. A person whose work shows exceptional creative ability or skill: You are an artist in the kitchen.
    3. One, such as an actor or singer, who works in the performing arts.
    4. One who is adept at an activity, especially one involving trickery or deceit: a con artist.

Porque, reading your post made me realize that you don't know what art is, and you like to open your cumguzzlng mouth before you have any thought behind what comes out of it. Don't worry, if your foot doesn't taste delicious I'll gladly shove mine down you throat. Peace.