Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

underground music

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by mapo wc, Jan 11, 2002.

1. mapo wc

mapo wc Elite Member

why is it that so many people jock underground shit and hate on anything that more than 10 people have heard of? this has long been the state of affairs in punk music and metal, but its the same way with hip hop nowadays.

it just seems that its considered 'cool' to listen to shit that nobody else does. any artist who can afford to buy anything more expensive than romen noodles is a sellout.

most of the underground is fucking shit. in fact i think most people that exclusively listen to underground shit do it more for their image than anything else. they like the idea of being different, not going along with the norm, not supporting the big labels, etc.

i dont listen to much punk or alternative - but i know firsthand that alot of the most mainstream hip hop acts are light years ahead of the most jocked underground cats.

eminem, jay-z, tupac, biggie, nas, wu tang, outkast...even 'middleground' rappers like mos def, talib kweli, big l, the roots..the list goes on and on. all those people i named hold it down in hip hop. is there any underground rappers that can even come close to anyone i named?

even hated-on cats like nelly, juvenile, ludacris, etc.
    they all have talent. theyre not trying to blow your mind with lyricism, or give you something to think about on a deep topic. theyre trying to give you something to dance to and get your adrenaline going. and also let you live vicariously through them for a while. while theyre boasting about fast cars, money, women, etc its cool to sometimes lay back and envision your life being like that. its almost like a soundtrack for your daydreams. if you cant just listen to 'back that ass up' and dance like an idiot while you imagine yourself being a big time baller, then youre probably analyzing music too much, or you just dont get it. but just because you dont like it doesnt mean its bad, or any less hip hop than mos def.

2. fr8rokr

fr8rokr Member

yeah

i like ludacris... stay the fu#k out my business!

3. chizm

chizm Senior Member

yeah, i agree. kids just get all up on underground shit, because they feel elite. like they feel they know something few people do. but of course if you actually like it despite the fact that its underground and that makes it special, thats cool.

i guess cats like ludacris and juvenile etc, serve good entertainment and sometimes is music you can bob your head to, but i'm not feeling that shit when it all comes down to production. yeah, i guess its fun. whatever. i don't know.

4. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

does anyone really give a shit? this topic (or one similar to it) is bought up at least once a week and the same bollocks gets said for 50 posts until people get bored of it. i'm already bored of it.

let's talk about poon instead.

5. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

i have alot of trouble listening to anything remotely normal
    and/or popular. not becuz i'm trying to be cool. i don't think
    these 'artists'(which is an arguable term to me)should starve
    either........i just personally have a real hard time finding anything
    interesting about pop music that is primarily the same as it was
    30 years ago. i've been beaten over the head with that format,
    sound and structure of music. as far as your hiphop references....
    blah...if you want booty tunes, fine. i find most of the big rap shit
    these days to be totally soulless. to me its got this really dry quality
    to it coupled with monotony. then there's the cliches of both
    genres, musical and otherwise(videos, stage 'moves', dress, attitude...)..
    its just played. IMO. i also don't think there's such a thing as thinking
    about music too much..taking a cerebral approach..'analysing' as you put it........

6. TRAMP

TRAMP Member

7. graffsurgeon

graffsurgeon Banned

i dont think any of them mainstream cats have talent..eminem is probley the only one but he makes music nowadays for preteen bitches who want to piss their parents off..they dont even produce their own shit..fuck em..as far as kids that could slaughter mos def and big l and them...esoteric.atmosphere.supernatural.adeem. quite a few heads..big L was nice but they arent the nicest..all the new rawkus shit is for kids that just got off no limits dick and say theyre changing their tastes.

8. mapo wc

mapo wc Elite Member

jay, nas, outkast, wu, tupac, big, public enemy, they dont have talent?

9. graffsurgeon

graffsurgeon Banned

with the exception of old outkasts and pe...they are all bitches.

10. graffsurgeon

graffsurgeon Banned

it is not in my book. as far as i am concerned any of those fucks can catch a slug but they never would because they arent even living like that..they claim to but they are all signed for their "thug image"..bullshit..come up from the underground with a thug rep i got respect..come up out of nowhere like these ja rule fucks i would like to hack them up.

11. WebsterUno

WebsterUno Guest

http://imagep.webphotos.iwon.com//1000020932/1000020932_111200230325PM0.9369165.jpg'>
    Beep Beep

12. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

http://www.netgoth.org.uk/people/7215.jpg'>
    "i like squee, but i am a fucking turdboxer"

13. RIM THE JOB

RIM THE JOB Member

nelly... that dude.. just SUCKS!! he has NO talent.. his voice sucks.. and he makes up his own fucking words.. everytime i here one of shit ass songs i wanna kill someone..die nelly, die

14. lostcause

lostcause New Jack

jayz and eminem? come on now. there are just as many good underground artist as there are mainstream artist but using those two as examples is just plain stupid. nelly is good titi bar music though.

15. bug

bug Guest

i generally dont like top forty or popular music. it just doesn't sound good. i dont like it NOT just because its famous, i just dont like it. The way i see it is the average person isn't a music lover. by this i mean, they just turn on the radio and wait for something to catch their ear. in order to do this, pop artists make their music very palitable by keeping it simple, repeating the same line over and over until it sticks in your head. i tried playing some older aceyalone for the guys at my work who like jiggy stuff and they liked only a little. i mean they like DMX, i explained to them that i didn't like DMX cuz he the songs i always hear on the radio has no rhyming skill, he just hollars bullshit and catch phrases. there's no flow. i tell them eminem or jayz can actually flow, but they dont hear the difference.

my anaolgy is fast food. there's a mcdonalds or KFC on every corner, its convenient and everyone eats there. at the same time theres one small hole in the wall foreign cuisine diner that's way more tasty and authentic, but not many people eat there. only certain people have the palate and appreciation for different food.

Whats so important about underground music is that its pure expression thats not limited by a record company trying to make your music marketable. its just funny that the music usually catches on a few years later THEN the exact same music is marketable.

so yes, i do think that undergound music is relatively important in the grand scheme of all that is music

hip hop was an underground phenomenon in the seventies. hip hop went commercial fast, so the late-nieties push for the return of underground hiphop is long over due.

all the metal and punk bands were influenced by underground bands. even madonna is producing tracks with upcoming little-known producers. she knows where to look.

mark my words, Atmosphere and Aesop Rock will be huge in a few years

anyway, i do think that trying to be elite for liking underground music is quite petty