Undercover Marketers..

Jimmy Jump

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I just saw this on 60 minutes too.

For the uninformed, companies are hiring actors to use their new products in public, and when someone asks about it they say they'll email them some info about it, all the while never letting on that they are being paid to be there.

For example, a Sony (i think) hired a guy and girl to pose as a bf and gf tourist couple and get passerby to take a picture with their cool new cell phone camera. when the picture was taken dude would be, "its cool, right?" and proceed to show what the phone was all about. Just acting like a nice guy, not 'selling' the phone, just a dude who has a cool new gadget.

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by Milton

Thanks I-Patch,

ya, they close down the bars and you can hang out dance and order coke... or sprite..

Originally posted by Papa Boner

For example, a Sony (i think) hired a guy and girl to pose as a bf and gf tourist couple and get passerby to take a picture with their cool new cell phone camera. when the picture was taken dude would be, "its cool, right?" and proceed to show what the phone was all about. Just acting like a nice guy, not 'selling' the phone, just a dude who has a cool new gadget.

i would've stole that shit.

Guerilla marketing (I prefer that term), well I think the concept itself is awesome. That would include wheatpasting advertisements, wheatpaste and sticker campaigns, going on internet boards and chat rooms and talking about how great this "new product" is, voting in online polls to make something seem better, etc. etc. But at the same time it IS deceptive.

I remember around 95-96 when the Sony Playstation just dropped, and the Nintendo 64 was getting ready to drop. The salesmen who worked at Electronics Boutique apparently were paid off by Sony to let all the customers know that PlayStation was a far superior system in so many ways at that the N64 was garbage in comparison. Some slick shit.

By the way that Six Dollar Burger at Carl's Jr. is the shit. Greatest thing I've ever tasted.

Guerilla advertising, although really unethical, is fuckin brilliant.

Most of the kids on this board seem intelligent enough to catch that undercover marketing scheme, but just think of all the low i.q. easily influenced people out there [especially Americans, jesus.. and Im an American, I have the right to make fun of my own people ]:lol:

Originally posted by Weapon X

They have these people at bars, too. I want to know how I can get a job doing this. Drinking beers, buying people that particular beer I’m advertising, etc.

This is my job among other aspects of guerilla marketing.

They are freelance positions that pay really well.

A liqour promo will be around $20 - $50 p/hr.