UNABOMBER MANIFESTO

KaBar2

UNABOMBER MANIFESTO--Ted Kaczynski

I can't recall where I got this link (maybe on here) but I read a book about Ted Kaczynski, and then read his manifesto, and I was startled to realize that the ideas he professed in his manifesto weren't all that far away from ideas that many people that I know espouse.

His resentment and opposition towards industrial society really resonated with me, but I've got to admit, he lost me on the opposition to psychiatry. I think he was probably schizoaffective and maybe depressed, but at a level that was more-or-less subacute (except that he carried out a 14-year long bombing campaign, of course.)

I cannot imagine how he came to the conclusion that he should begin murdering people. The reclusiveness and moving to Montana, Yeah, I can definately understand that. I think that he was a sort of mentally ill case that latched on to the anarcho-ecology movement. It could have just as easily been some other political or social cause.

Anyway, here's the link:

http:www.panix.com/~clays/Una/

And his published work:

http:www.rpi.edu/~bulloj/tjk/tjk.html

I tried reading a couple of them---man. Ten minutes of reading this shit and you will be very glad you aren't a mathematician.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yeah, Theodore wasn't an homocidal idiot, by any means. Frustration with things you cannot change push people into doing some really hurtful stuff alot of times. Some of us can control ourselves, whether it be through yoga, or drinking, but others..... don't deal so well. Some of the smartest people you'll ever meet are also some of the most dangerous, and you'd never know it.... I knew a kid that got picked on in high school, one day he fuckin snapped and broke some big guy's nose with a text book. He didn't even really get in trouble for it either.

There's no excuse for blowing people up though.

I didn't say that

I did not say I thought he was normal. It is not normal to spend 14 years trying to build the perfect detonator from dumpster-dived chemicals. It is not normal to imagine that killing somebody because he does computer science research or because he works for the California Department of Forestry is somehow a great blow for liberty.

The guy was mentally ill, without question. In fact, the most remarkable thing about his writing on social/industrial issues is that they are not very unusual. Essentially, he took ideas that are commonly held by large numbers of people and grafted on a rather bizarre "revolutionary" program that involved attacking academia and industry with home-made explosive devices. It was a sort of long, malevolent experiment. He kept copious notes and assessed the entire thing using scientific method. Like I said, he was crazy.

But it could very well have been the CIA that pushed him over the edge with the psychological experiments that he participated in while at college. His professor was on the CIA payroll for much of his adult life, starting with work in the OSS during WWII.

It's kind of too bad that he went off the deep end, because he is a very intelligent guy. His brother, who shares most of Ted's ideas, recognized the text of the UNABOMBER Manifesto as being virtually identical to his brother's writing, and called the FBI.

The brother did something very similar to Ted's going to live in Montana a few years after Ted moved there. The brother moved onto a piece of land in an extremely arid, remote area of west Texas, and tried to live in a dugout house. Both of them despise industrial society as we know it. Like I said, I'm not too fond of it myself.

If the world were to end tommorow or even 10 years from now we would all be singing a different tune about Ted Kacynski.

Just out of curiosity I would like to see a thread about environmental damage. I know about www.greenpeace.org and www.oceana.org and all that but I was just curious about anything you may have noticed.

For instance, winter 1999/2000 in michigan we only had two weeks of snow, and some birds didn't even migrate! Then that summer there was so much humidity, a cloud followed the sun, from sun up to sun down! Then at night it would cool off enough to rain, and it rained and thundered and lighteninged every night that summer! I swear to god I thought it was the end of the world.

I've been tripping about the coral reefs for a long time. They have been dying at an alarming rate and that is devastating news for the oceans delicate ecological balance. Entire oceans of coral reefs have died! However there has been an effort to replace coral reefs with stacks of tires tied together so that algae may grow on them and fish may nest. Still an odd response I would say to such devastation. There are almost no big fish left in the ocean!

Have you noticed how popular catfish has become lately? When I was a kid, you ate, trout or salmon or something. Catfish was considered a dirty bottom feeder that only lived in the backwaters. Now people are eating it everywhere. Catfish this, catfish that.

I've been in D.C. since late may and it has rained about 90 percent of the days I've been here. Humidity is bad. You'd think you were in Seattle. I don't know much about D.C. but for some reason I don't think this is normal either.

Well I don't know I just thought I'd drop some of these observations and see what yall might come up with.

Guest BROWNer

i have a requested hold at the library on kazynski..

called..."the unabomber and harvard" or somethin' like that..

i'm looking forward to it. what was kazynski's problem

with psychiatry?

Guest imported_Tesseract

Re: I didn't say that

Originally posted by KaBar2

The guy was mentally ill, without question. In fact, the most remarkable thing about his writing on social/industrial issues is that they are not very unusual. Essentially, he took ideas that are commonly held by large numbers of people and grafted on a rather bizarre "revolutionary" program that involved attacking academia and industry with home-made explosive devices. It was a sort of long, malevolent experiment. He kept copious notes and assessed the entire thing using scientific method. Like I said, he was crazy.

But it could very well have been the CIA that pushed him over the edge with the psychological experiments that he participated in while at college. His professor was on the CIA payroll for much of his adult life, starting with work in the OSS during WWII.

Well, obviously we're talking about one sick motherfucker. The thing is that when someone that serious, that inteligent and that determined loses a screw..things get fucked up. Hitler was like that and in fact, the biggest criminals in history were always bright and charismatic.

At this point and especially starting for your line that sais "the most remarkable thing about his writing on social/industrial issues is that they are not very unusual i'd like to say that people that act this way arent eccentrics, they hold the same position 1 billion hold but do nothing about it. Thats the problem to begin with, obviously they're mentally ill, but they also develop a messiah syndrome, they feel the need to act for the whole world even if that means their own death that will eventually make them heroes. I'm pretty certain that many many people agree with the Unabombers manifesto but yet they dont feel like doing something.

If you look like it on the flipside though, and asume that the Unabomber was the president of the united states you clearly see the pshycological enviroment that would get everyone hyped. Do you believe that Hitlers soldiers were animals? or mentally ill? i really dont think so. What i believe is that theres nothing more dangerous than ideas that come from the heads of people that exagarate because they're not determined to do shit about what bothers them. When that shit drops on someone more willing to act, shit gets crazy. You see argumentatives over having guns for example, lots of theory about that...at the same time you see that guns are daily used not to protect but to kill people for nothing. I could go on and on...what i'm trying to say is that everyone is obligated to be cautious on what he passes through..not for pollitical correctness reasons but for the pure essence of the gravity hype has on people.

I too, have read the Unabomber manifesto and found it interesting.

I have also wondered if the world has become too hi-tech for our own good. Some experts speculate that already we are living in an era that is too technologically advanced for our instincts. As humans, we are supposed to make tools, hunt, procreate, and basically just survive the elements. Our lives today are much easier, but our minds and bodies arent necessarily meant for todays lifestyle. Thats why its so common to see overweight and out of shape people, ADHD in young people, etc.

alot of people disregard 'terrorists' as just being crazy people..

many people dont know that osama bin laden was a billionaire and came from a powerful saudi arabian family, I liken him to the saudi arabian equivolent of JFK Jr.

Ted Kaczinsky (sp?) graduated among the top of his class at harvard.

he was a mathematics genius. he was kinda weird from the start though. in a newsweek article, an old guy, former neighbor of ted, said that when he would say hi to ted, ted would just continue to walk while looking down, not even acknowledging the man.

Timothy McVeigh wasnt a genius like the Unabomber, but he wasnt stupid. He had some valid points about government and its hypocrisy.

He served in the Army and made the rank of Sergeant, and was decorated for things he did in the Gulf War. He was pissed about Randy Weaver, Waco, and the increasing gun laws by liberals.

I almost forgot to mention those freakish size storms we've had this year. I can recall three of them in particular, two in the winter, one this spring that were the size of half the continental united states. Even the guy on the weather channel was speaking apocalyptically.

BROWNer

Yeah, that's the book I read, too. I was the first one to check it out of my local library, it was in the "new selections" section.

One of the things I liked about it was the detail in which the author described the OSS/CIA connection with the Up-Eastern Ivy League universities. I was already aware that this connection/relationship existed, but I was startled to read his statements about how pervasive it is. (You may recall George Bush 41 was Director of the CIA for a while--he's a Yalie, as well as a member of Skull & Bones, and also a member of the CFR (Council on Foreign Relations) and the Trilateral Commission. George Bush 43 is a Yalie, too.)

I do entertain some speculations about conspiracy theories, but there is nothing secret about most of the shit that they did to Ted Kaczynski. It's all documented in the scientific papers and the results of those psychological experiments in which he participated. In that book "Harvard and the Unabomber" they detail the transition between high-school math wonk to poor Harvard scholarship kid to Berkeley math professor. He made his concious decision to start murdering people and attacking the "system" before he ever left Harvard. I suspect that he was coping poorly with feelings of persecution and low self esteem when he was still just a kid, and that it didn't improve with high school. Then, with the added stress of college, the fear of failure, the difficulty of not being accepted by his fellow students at Harvard (most of whom came from very wealthy families) and his rage at the CIA experiments and the attempted destruction of his closely held, sincere beliefs, along with a personal philosophy that says that "everything is relative", he felt empowered to begin killing.

To tell you the truth, he wasn't a very good bomber, because despite his high intelligence, part of his delusion was to build every part of the bombs himself. He built elaborate wooden cases for them, with cabinet-maker level craftsmanship. Some of them had 99% wooden parts, even springs and switches, all hand made. He brewed up his own explosives from scratch, and built his own detonators from copper tubing, chemicals from scientific supply houses and dumpster-dived wiring. Some of them were built inside books, the subject of which was significant to Ted. The guy was crazy as a shithouse mouse, for certain.

What finally allowed them to catch him was his desire to have his ideas widely recognized and appreciated. He forced the New York Times to publish his manifesto by threatening to kill another victim with a bomb, and his brother read the article, and recognized Ted's writing.

So it was intellectual arrogance that set him into motion, and he was captured because of his own ideas and theories. Kind of ironic, don't you think?

I really enjoyed that book.

this thread is very eye opening for me, im happy i came here. i glanced at a few sections of the manifesto just now, and it is definitely and awesome read so far. I am young for all this so i dont clearly remember when all this happened, i just remember seeing his picture on the news. When did he get caught? and how many people did he kill?

Originally posted by mapo returns

Timothy McVeigh wasnt a genius like the Unabomber, but he wasnt stupid. He had some valid points about government and its hypocrisy.

He served in the Army and made the rank of Sergeant, and was decorated for things he did in the Gulf War. He was pissed about Randy Weaver, Waco, and the increasing gun laws by liberals.

the other day i saw this quote, lettered in stickers, on somebodys back winshield of their car...it read:

"Forget Iraq..

Marylands Government is fucking us!

Well some of us are going to fuck back...

just like Timothy McVeigh did!"

regardless of your political standpoint, if you posess these kinds of beliefs, to that extreme, i wish you a slow and early death.

Archived