U.S. soldiers using confiscated Iraqi AK-47s b/c they can't get enough U.S. rifles.

Poop Man Bob

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._ak_47_heaven_1

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030817/capt.1061152354.iraq_raid_msr113.jpg'>

U.S. Troops Use Confiscated Iraqi AK-47s

Sun Aug 24, 2:15 PM ET

By ANDREW ENGLAND, Associated Press Writer

BAQOUBA, Iraq - An American soldier stands at the side of an Iraqi highway, puts his AK-47 on fully automatic and pulls the trigger.

Within seconds the assault rifle has blasted out 30 rounds. Puffs of dust dance in the air as the bullets smack into the scrubland dirt. Test fire complete.

U.S. troops in Iraq (news - web sites) may not have found weapons of mass destruction, but they're certainly getting their hands on the country's stock of Kalashnikovs — and, they say, they need them.

The soldiers based around Baqouba are from an armor battalion, which means they have tanks, Humvees and armored personnel carriers. But they are short on rifles.

A four-man tank crew is issued two M4 assault rifles and four 9mm pistols, relying mostly on the tank's firepower for protection.

But now they are engaged in guerrilla warfare, patrolling narrow roads and goat trails where tanks are less effective. Troops often find themselves dismounting to patrol in smaller vehicles, making rifles essential.

"We just do not have enough rifles to equip all of our soldiers. So in certain circumstances we allow soldiers to have an AK-47. They have to demonstrate some proficiency with the weapon ... demonstrate an ability to use it," said Lt. Col. Mark Young, commander of the 3rd Battalion, 67th Armor Regiment, 4th Infantry Division.

"Normally an armor battalion is fighting from its tanks. Well, we are not fighting from our tanks right now," Young said. "We are certainly capable of performing the missions that we have been assigned, there's no issue with that, but we do find ourselves somewhat challenged."

In Humvees, on tanks — but never openly on base — U.S. soldiers are carrying the Cold War-era weapon, first developed in the Soviet Union but now mass produced around the world.

The AK is favored by many of the world's fighters, from child soldiers in Africa to rebel movements around the world, because it is light, durable and known to jam less frequently.

Now U.S. troops who have picked up AKs on raids or confiscated them at checkpoints are putting the rifles to use — and they like what they see.

Some complain that standard U.S. military M16 and M4 rifles jam too easily in Iraq's dusty environment. Many say the AK has better "knockdown" power and can kill with fewer shots.

"The kind of war we are in now ... you want to be able to stop the enemy quick," said Sgt. 1st Class Tracy S. McCarson of Newport News, Va., an army scout, who carries an AK in his Humvee.

Some troops say the AK is easier to maintain and a better close-quarters weapon. Also, it has "some psychological affect on the enemy when you fire back on them with their own weapons," McCarson said.

Most U.S. soldiers agree the M16 and the M4 — a newer, shorter version of the M16 that has been used by American troops since the 1960s — is better for long distance, precision shooting.

But around Baqouba, troops are finding themselves attacked by assailants hidden deep in date palm groves. Or they are raiding houses, taking on enemies at close-quarters.

Two weeks ago, Sgt. Sam Bailey of Cedar Falls, Iowa, was in a Humvee when a patrol came under rocket-propelled grenade and heavy machine gun fire. It was dark, the road narrow. On one side, there was a mud wall and palms trees, on the other a canal surrounded by tall grass.

Bailey, who couldn't see who was firing, had an AK-47 on his lap and his M4 up front. The choice was simple.

"I put the AK on auto and started spraying," Bailey said.

Some soldiers also say it's easier to get ammo for the AK — they can pick it up on any raid or from any confiscated weapon.

"It's plentiful," said Sgt. Eric Harmon, a tanker who has a full 75-round drum, five 30-round magazines, plus 200-300 rounds in boxes for his AK. He has about 120 rounds for his M16.

Young doesn't carry an AK but has fired one. He's considered banning his troops from carrying AKs, but hasn't yet because "if I take the AK away from some of the soldiers, then they will not have a rifle to carry with them."

Staff Sgt. Michael Perez, a tanker, said he would take anything over his standard issue 9mm pistol when he's out of his tank.

And the AK's durability has impressed him.

"They say you can probably drop this in the water and leave it overnight, pull it out in the morning, put in a magazine and it will work," Perez said.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Pilau Hands
Two weeks ago, Sgt. Sam Bailey of Cedar Falls, Iowa, was in a Humvee when a patrol came under rocket-propelled grenade and heavy machine gun fire. It was dark, the road narrow. On one side, there was a mud wall and palms trees, on the other a canal surrounded by tall grass.

damn campers

yeah

Re: Re: U.S. soldiers using confiscated Iraqi AK-47s b/c they can't get enough U.S. rifles.

Originally posted by Pilau Hands

damn campers

yeah

i was just about to say that. someone should tell them were not playing camper strike.

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob

As opposed to the other wars, where you want to stop the enemy slowly?

As opposed to other wars, in which you wanted to wound the enemy badly enough that they had to be helped in retreat, thus opening the unwounded soldiers to attack as they aid their friends. 1 hit = two soldiers not shooting back

Originally posted by T E A S E R

:lol:

HOLY FUCK THATS HILARIOUS!!!

hahahahahahahaha

omg omg omg

Tease, you are the lowest common denominator.

And, everyday we are in Iraq it costs MILLIONS, and Bush knows that's what the Dems are gonna use against him during the election. I'd say it's less a question of a lack of supply and more of a using captured arms to ease the co$t$... every bit counts.

Of course, if you are in an actual fire fight that involves more than just your HumVee then it might not be the best idea to be spitting out green tracers...

Originally posted by Don't Panic

As opposed to other wars, in which you wanted to wound the enemy badly enough that they had to be helped in retreat, thus opening the unwounded soldiers to attack as they aid their friends. 1 hit = two soldiers not shooting back

Do you really believe that is what goes through a soldier's mind when they are firing on someone? That they're trying to merely incapacitate the enemy and not kill them?

Originally posted by Smart

And, everyday we are in Iraq it costs MILLIONS, and Bush knows that's what the Dems are gonna use against him during the election. I'd say it's less a question of a lack of supply and more of a using captured arms to ease the co$t$... every bit counts.

It currently costs us over a billion tax dollars a week, although that figure isn't included in the current deficit numbers.

me?

yeah.. I worked from 2-6 this afternoon and then went home

to take a 2 hour nap. Now I'm back for a cursed allnighter.

Luckily the shit is rather mindless so I can surf and listen to tunes.

I actually prefer to work when no one's here. Forget the headphones,

I'm booming my music on tannoy monitors though a mackie board.

no joke.

I had one of those 2 weeks ago plus a 16 hour saturday.

that totally fucked my weekend big timers. Well I cant really

complain because I took home a grand and a half for my pain

and suffering. And playing the sympathy card works well. I mean

who else gets to sleep in untill noon and then ramble into work

a few hours later and get bought lunch and treated like a hero.

I'd still rather be sailing.

I'd rather be sailing as well... I was recently helping a friend learn to drive his motorboat the other week and I realized it had been over 4 years since I'd been on ANY kind of boat...

It's really no wonder I'm as angry as I am, sometimes I wonder why I haven't gone on 'my first shooting spree'...

Originally posted by Don't Panic

stupidist attempt at intelligence ive ever seen