U.S. Military Draft. Canada, higher education no longer an option.

(no subject)

http://www.vancouver.indymedia.org/news/20...4/01/105146.php

US Preparing for Military Draft in Spring 2005

by Adam Stutz • Wednesday January 28, 2004 at 09:50 AM

The current agenda of the US federal government is to reinstate the draft in order to staff up for a protracted war on "terrorism." Pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills S 89 and HR 163) would time the program so the draft could begin at early as Spring 2005 -- conveniently just after the 2004 presidential election!

Reinstatement of the draft

Dear Friends and Family,

I urge you to read the article below on the current agenda of the federal government to reinstate the draft in order to staff up for a protracted war on "terrorism."

Pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills S 89 and HR 163) would time the program so the draft could begin at early as Spring 2005 -- conveniently just after the 2004 presidential election! But the administration is quietly trying to get these bills passed NOW, so our action is needed immediately. Details and links follow.

If voters who currently support U.S. aggression abroad were confronted with the possibility that their own children or grandchildren might not have a say about whether to fight, many of these same voters might have a change of mind. (Not that it should make a difference, but this plan would among other things eliminate higher education as a shelter and would not exclude women -- and Canada is no longer an option.)

Please send this on to all the parents and teachers you know, and all the aunts and uncles, grandparents, godparents.... And let your children know -- it's their future, and they can be a powerful voice for change! Please also write to your representatives to ask them why they aren't telling their constituents about these bills -- and write to newspapers and other media outlets to ask them why they're not covering this important story.

The Draft*

$28 million has been added to the 2004 Selective Service System (SSS) budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as June 15, 2005. SSS must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 that the system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation. Please see website: http://www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html to view the SSS Annual Performance Plan - Fiscal Year 2004.

The Pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide.. Though this is an unpopular election year topic, military experts and influential members of Congress are suggesting that if Rumsfeld's prediction of a "long, hard slog" in Iraq and Afghanistan [and a permanent state of war on "terrorism"] proves accurate, the U.S. may have no choice but to draft.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/a...article5146.htm

Congress brought twin bills, S. 89 and H.R. 163 forward this year, entitled the Universal National Service Act of 2003, "To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons [age 18--26] in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes." These active bills currently sit in the Committee on Armed Services.

Dodging the draft will be more difficult than those from the Vietnam era remember. College and Canada will not be options. In December 2001, Canada and the US signed a "Smart Border Declaration," which could be used to keep would-be draft dodgers in. Signed by Canada's Minister of Foreign Affairs, John Manley, and US Homeland Security Director, Gov. Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a 30-point plan which implements, among other things, a "pre-clearance agreement" of people entering and departing each country. Reforms aimed at making the draft more equitable along gender and class lines also eliminates higher education as a shelter. Underclassmen would only be able to postpone service until the end of their cur-rent semester. Seniors would have until the end of the academic year.

*This article by Adam Stutz is from the "What's Hot Off the Press" column of the newsletter of Project Censored, a media research group at Sonoma State University that tracks the news published in independent journals and newsletters. From these, Project Censored compiles an annual list (more than 20 years running) of 25 news stories of social significance that have been overlooked, under-reported, or self-censored by the country's major national news media. The mission of Project Censored is "to educate people about the role of independent journalism in a democratic society and to tell The News That Didn't Make the News and why."

Sorry if this has been posted.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

not only has it been posted, but the guy who presented the bill to the house originally is a democrat, who proposed it with the simple intention of making the american public realize that to maintain an eternal war on terror, we wouold have to reinstate the draft.

meh, still good info though.

hmm...looks like time for me to do some research about how to get out of this. I DO NOT support us being in iraq, and I do not feel that I should fight for something I do not suport. I bet I could easily be deemed not mentally fit for the military or I could just tell them I'm gay.

There is also plan B...and europeans going to need a room-mate next year?

yeah, i think this is a bit of a misrepresentation of the facts. i know that bush has ordered the selective service to be opperational by 2005, BUT, i have heard nothing about them actually stating that they wanted to reinstate the draft. i think is tracing the parallel and pretending its concrete, which is understandable, but it's also presently false.

just because they want selective service to be up to date, does not mean that they will begin with the draft. infact, reinstating the draft would be electoral suicide. people are already drawing enough comparisons to vietnam, if we reinstate the draft, it will explode in their face.

read my lips, 'not gonnn happen, it's bad, bad!'

that was my e-dana carvey.

really though, polls already show that if the election were tomorrow, kerry would beat bush by 7percent, if bush was to try and reinstate the draft, he would be crushed.

you know what the dumbest part of that is....

not allowing 'potential draft dodgers entry into canada'?

If that gets to be the case, dont you think you could apply for refugee status?

I want entry into your country because my life is in danger at home.

That's the general rule for being a 'fugee'. I dont see why it couldnt apply here.

Ford said 'Vietnam is finished' and the last troops left Saigon in 1975.

I heard of people dropping mucho lsd right before the had to do the physical.

Doubt it will ever happen

Most Americans despise the Draft. It would be political suicide. However, how about if they issued a call for volunteers? I think that thousands would respond. Several people from where I work are going to work for Kellogg, Brown & Root in Iraq. They are paying dietary and kitchen workers and truck drivers $80,000 a year. Nurses are getting double that, or so I hear. Contract security with previous infantry or police experience are getting $500 a day (read "mercenaries.")

LOL. Guess who's paying this bill?

LOL. "You crazy kids!" Why not just go ahead and serve? That's what I should have done. I successfully obtained conscientious objector status, and served my two years "alternative service." Now I wish I had just joined the Marine Corps and served my time.

What are you gonna do when the recruiter pulls out his dick and says, "Okay, Sweet Cheeks, you say you're a homer-sexual---prove it."

faking gay wont keep you out of the army.

Remember that whole 'dont ask, dont tell'

fiasco from the Clinton years? Homo's are

allowed to serve and wearing a pink sweater

isn't going to keep you out (if it come to a draft)