Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

TV's Mr. Rogers Dead of Cancer at 74

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by swif1, Feb 27, 2003.

1. swif1

swif1 Veteran Member

TV's Mr. Rogers Dead of Cancer at 74

PITTSBURGH (Reuters) - Fred Rogers, who became a nurturing television friend to millions of children as host of the public television program "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood," died of cancer on Thursday at 74, his producer said.

An ordained Presbyterian minister who believed the television airwaves should be used to enhance the human spirit, Rogers died at his home in Pittsburgh. He had been diagnosed with stomach cancer.

Rogers, who began his career in children's television doing puppet voices for a local show on PBS affiliate WQED in Pittsburgh, became a national personality in 1968 when "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" became available to PBS stations across the country.

Each episode opened with the gentle Mr. Rogers entering a comfortable living room, singing "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood" and donning a cardigan sweater and pair of comfortable shoes.

One of the red sweaters is now at the Smithsonian Institution.

The show was quickly embraced by both children and parents for an imaginative but simple approach that came with his own songs and puppet voices, and the ongoing message: "There's only one person in the whole world like you."

It became the longest running children's program on public television. He taped his last program in December 2000. The final episode aired in August 2001, but earlier program continues to run on PBS.

Rogers also tackled important subjects for children, including death and violence on television, including the TV news.

During the Gulf crisis a decade ago, he made a public service announcement that told parents: "Children aren't responsible for wars. The least, and the best, we adults can do is to let our children know that we'll take good care of them, no matter what."

Characteristically, the Web site of his production company Family Entertainment Inc. announced his death with advice on how to relay the sad news to children who will continue to see him on television.

"Children have always known Mr. Rogers as their 'television friend,' and that relationship doesn't change with his death," the message said.

Born in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, he studied early child development at the University of Pittsburgh and received a charge to continue his work with families and children through television when he was ordained a minister.

Rogers is survived by his wife, Joanne, their two sons and two grandsons.

02/27/03 06:51

© Copyright The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained In this news report may not be published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

------------------------

RIP[​IMG]

2. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest

RIP mr Rogers..i always liked that little red box car

man, im getting old.

3. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

damn, you ain't the only one wonka. I remember watchin' that show was I was younger than young.
    RIP

4. mental invalid

mental invalid Dirty Dozen Crew

rip......childhood and mr. rogers

5. yoink

yoink Elite Member

RIP

man, thats nuts. i used to see him randomly on cable....blast of nostalgia like whoah.

6. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

I just saw this.

RIP

7. Ken E. Bus

Ken E. Bus Member

RIP

I used to love the "how it's made" type films.

Speedy Delivery, Mr. Rodgers

8. Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle Veteran Member

I never watched him but I know lots pf people did.

Hes an icon, RIP.....

9. sans sheriff

sans sheriff Senior Member

Won't you be my neighbor?

RIP

10. KaBar

KaBar Senior Member

Mr. Rogers was not "cool"

But he was a wonderful, gentle man, and definately knew the value of consistant, principled, moral behavior. The kids are going to see years of Mr. Rogers re-runs, they probably won't know he's gone. But we will. Bummer.

11. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Administrator

I used to watch that show.

Rest In Peace Mr. Rogers.

12. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

13. YinzerXpress

YinzerXpress Guest

no doubt.... civic is prolly crying, he worked on his car.....

RIP

14. S@T@N

[email protected]@N Senior Member

:(

No fucking way.... :(.

RIP Mr. Rogers, I'm gonna be bummed all day over this shit.
    Please believe I watched that stuff when I was a kid and sang that
    intro song too.

15. post.

post. Member

This blows.. Mr Rogers was not supposed to ever die.

RIP :(

boomerang toomerang soomerang