turbo kit vs project 240

johnny

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

fast back or coupe??

ka24 right?

i theres a sweet 240z conversion for the 240sx. i saw in another automotive forum. i hear that the sr20dets are nice, but an rb26 is nicer!

Something i would like to see is a tuned up naturally asperated sr with individual throttlebody injection, no turbo, no supercharger..

Originally posted by johnny

not sure what to do. i can spend 4500 on a turbo kit for the car i have now or i can purchase a whooped 240 and build a silvia.

i'd only be looking for 300 to 325 whp on pump gas/

decisions, decisions...

My little brother bought an AWD Eagle Talon for $1,500.... and with a couple *small upgrades it does more than 400awhp. They're not expensive.

what kind of *small upgrades are you talking about?

400awhp (each wheel putting out 100hp, assuming that the power distribution is even) is alot of power. 400awhp means your bro's car is creating almost 500 at the crank, or more. thats tons. i'd be scarred to drive that car unless you threw a couple grand bringing it back to OE standards, then went from their.

how is his suspention set up?

so many questions...

Guest amorphic

dear god man!!!!!!!! SILVIA CONVERSION! SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA.

I know your a volkswagen man but COME on. SR20dett NIGGA WHUT WHUT.

AFC, rebuilt heads, upgraded turbo, ignition system.... there's a couple others I believe.

Eclipses, Talons, and Lazers that had turbo's all had the 4G63 engine.... or the 420A.

and the SR20DETT isn't shit compared to the RB26DETT...

DefLeppard says,

"i am currently working on 450-500 whp integra project." (its top secret, as to whats going on under the hood of this one, lets just say, under 10 sec. for under 10 grand).. please note this is a Glik0/DefLeppard project.

]PROJECT BLP TEG 2004

Prolly a APEX-i S-AFC.. There must be other mods done to his car though.. The stock 14b turbo has taken many DSM's into the 11's.. Then there's the small and big 16G, TD05/TD06 17C, TD05 18g, TD06 19C, TD05/06 20G(with multiple exhaust trims), just for Mitsubishi turbo's.. Throw in a 3'' GM MAF w/ translator, some 660cc injector's, a datalogger, wide-band 02, some HKS 272 cams with adjustable cam gears, Greddy Profec-BII or E-manage electronic boost controller, I prefer the APEX-i AVC-R..lol anyways..blah blah blah;)

I too have a 1G Talon, along with a 89 Mitsu. Starion ESi-R..

As far as the Nissan 240sx swap.. Either the SR20DET or RB25DET/RB26DETT would be kickass.. Even though the stock KA24 has been made to push 450+hp with stock internals/cams/unported head-and manifolds even..

SR vs. RB:

SR pro's:1. Lightweight, due to an all aluminum engine, block/head etc..

2. Stock internals can handle upward's of 500RWHP

3. Relatively high revver, in excess of 8K rpm's

4. Parts availability in U.S.(cars were sold here with the SR20DE~Infinity G20)

SR con's:1. Lack of torque, due to somewhat small displacement. Might not matter to you though..

RB pro's:1. Legendary engine, used in a variety of cars.

2. Awesome strength(just like the Supra's 2JZGTE=900hp on stock internals) the RB can be safely pushed to 1300hp if the proper fuel and tuning is utilized.

3. Large bore/short stroke=high revving capability...8.5K+

4. Common parts(filters, clutches etc..) are shared with the 300ZX's engine, the clutch and flywheel/pressure plate etc.. Some valvetrain components are also shared with other Nissan engines, such as lifters, valve springs, rocker arms etc..

RB con's:1. Parts availability(pistons/rings/rods/TPS's/temp sensors etc..) are Japan only items.. So, long waiting periods are common, since oversea's shipping takes awhile sometimes..

2. Front clip(actually send you the whole front part of a Skyline, from the front bumper to the dash/steering wheel area) will have to be sourced from a engine wholesaler..I have a buddy who does this very thing(also has a 750hp RB25 equipped 92 240sx)

3. The whole crossmember from the Skyline will swap into the 240, the 240's rack and pinion also fits the Skyline crossmember(needs to be swapped, since the Skyline is right hand drive).. One small problem with the motor mounts though, you'll only be able to get two of the four bolts to line up.. No biggie though, there's a company who has the install kit for the RB into a 240, for around $500.. This will allow proper mounting of the engine..

4. Suspension and brakes must be upgraded, unless you're a crazy motherfucker:lol: .. The added weight of the I6 will be noticable, the extra power/weight will overpower the stock brakes. Think coilover's with a higher spring rate and adjustable struts/shocks, maybe thicker/stiffer swaybars, and a handful of suspension bushings too.. Not totally needed, but safety is a big part of performance and should be held in high regards..

RB vs. RB:

RB25DET= Single Garret T3 turbo, actually has a ceramic compressor wheel, prone to EXPLODING if pushed past 17-18psi.. Stock 250hp, but with Japanese ''rated'' power, it's all bullshit.. They say 250hp at the flywheel, but actually it's closer to 250 at the wheels. This motor comes with a 5 speed gearbox, pretty strong stock-could be made stronger of course(cryogenically treated gear's/syncro's/throw out bearings etc..) Came stock in all R33-R34 RWD Skyline's, not all Skyline were AWD..Just the GT-R's.. The RWD's are GTS-T's..

RB26DETT= Dual turbo's, good for 475-500 wheel HP before they poop out and run out of steam. Stock 278HP at the flywheel, but remeber those Japanese liars:D , 278HP at the wheels.. This motor comes with a REALLY FUCKING STRONG 6-speed gearbox, it has survived countless 8K clutch dumps. It's soo fucking cool to watch this, rev to 8K, drop the clutch.. The rear tires actually spin 2 full rotations before the center differential sends power to the front wheels, then it just grabs and takes off.. Came in all AWD Skylines. R32/R33/R34's

The R32 Skyline GTS-T(RWD) came with a RB20DET, a 2.0 liter straight six, rated for 210 hp.. This is often thought of too old an engine, and most don't use it..

Prices:

RB20DET front clip: $1200 shipped to your front door

RB25DET front clip: $2700 shipped to your front door

RB26DETT front clip:$4500 shipped to your front door

These are prices I got about a year ago.. Ever since the RB swap became popular, the prices naturally blew up.. They'll settle down though.. All front clips are guaranteed to have less than 40K miles and are thoroughly checked out before they leave the wrecking yard in Japan..

Sorry, this was WAY to fucking long..:o

Originally posted by »§ÜGÅR«

DefLeppard says,

"i am currently working on 450-500 whp integra project." (its top secret, as to whats going on under the hood of this one, lets just say, under 10 sec. for under 10 grand).. please note this is a Glik0/DefLeppard project.

]PROJECT BLP TEG 2004

Sub-10seconds in the 1/4 will not happen unless half of that 10K goes into the suspension.. FWD car's spin the front wheels through 3-4 gears soemtimes before they get usable traction.. So, a 500hp RWD car could easily get into the 10's, FWD however-add on another 150-200 hp just to make up the wheel-spin factor..

Sorry, i'm a ASE certified car nut..

Eclipse GSX/Talon TSi might be a good idea, except you need to be careful with the engines...some tend to throw out rods and pistons due to crank walk (7-bolt main engines only). The six-bolt deals are a lot better. Forced Performance probably has the best turbos available for DSMs. They are already sized to spec to provide max output and efficiency.

And it's SR20DET. 4-cylinder twin-turbo? Blasphemy.

I'd say it's a toss-up johnny. I'd stick with your dub. Use the Dahlback GTI as a muse for inspiration (but not as outrageous).

Fuck OE standards. It's all about 20+ psi, and an ear-shattering, flame-spewing dump pipe right behind the front wheels.

Originally posted by TPSR?

Sub-10seconds in the 1/4 will not happen unless half of that 10K goes into the suspension.. FWD car's spin the front wheels through 3-4 gears soemtimes before they get usable traction.. So, a 500hp RWD car could easily get into the 10's, FWD however-add on another 150-200 hp just to make up the wheel-spin factor..

Sorry, i'm a ASE certified car nut..

i said it before, ALL PLANS ARE TOP SECRET. BLP TEG WILL BE POSTED UPON COMPLETION, ALONG WITH DYNO SLIPS AND TRACK SLIPS.

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller

Eclipse GSX/Talon TSi might be a good idea, except you need to be careful with the engines...some tend to throw out rods and pistons due to crank walk (7-bolt main engines only). The six-bolt deals are a lot better. Forced Performance probably has the best turbos available for DSMs. They are already sized to spec to provide max output and efficiency.

And it's SR20DET. 4-cylinder twin-turbo? Blasphemy.

I'd say it's a toss-up johnny. I'd stick with your dub. Use the Dahlback GTI as a muse for inspiration (but not as outrageous).

Fuck OE standards. It's all about 20+ psi, and an ear-shattering, flame-spewing dump pipe right behind the front wheels.

Forced Performance rebuilt my brother's heads when he first bought his car, and checked out alot on his car. They're about 45 minutes away from where we live....They custom built John Shepard's high 8 low 9 second talon.

• 11 months later...

Archived