Tuesday Edition: Taggers

useurname

So yeah I found this shit while searching for something else on the internet and thought it was interesting to see how some people look at writing, or "taggin" as they put it.

Here is an interesting story about a subculture of graffiti artists whose work we see on buildings, walls and bridges, but we seldom see the vandals themselves. The challenge is doing a story on the tagger without rewarding them with wide media display of their work, which would be a huge reward to them. Taggers drive building and property owners nuts. Spring seems to bring the taggers out of the woodwork in come communities.

Tagging, which makes up the majority of graffiti, does not come from street gangs.

It comes from a tagger or a crew of taggers looking for recognition and fame, said San Bernardino police Sgt. Dwight Waldo.

"It is not art,' he said. "It is a crime.'

The crime is expensive for business owners and cities. Every year, cities spend thousands of dollars to rid neighborhoods of graffiti and the atmosphere it creates.

A person driving in a city with a lot of graffiti will most likely get the impression that the city is unsafe, Waldo said.

In Atlanta alone, there are more than 200 places where graffiti taggers have painted and painted and painted. The situation is so out of hand the city is installing some cameras to try to catch the taggers.

The San Bernardino County (CA) Sun says, "Some do it to send messages of hate or to blast politicians. Others do it for fame or to mark a territory. And there are others who do it proclaiming artistic expression. All are creating graffiti. And, with the exception of some murals, it is vandalism.

While many are under the impression that graffiti comes from street gangs, authorities say 85 percent of graffiti comes from taggers who aren't gang members.

There are five types of graffiti:

Communicative.

Hate.

Tagger.

Gang.

Mural.

The SBSun includes lots of inside information on graffiti artists and Taggers. The paper said:

-Taggers don't care where their monikers, the names they choose for themselves, are spray-painted.

-Most taggers won't spray-paint their own walls, but they vandalize as much other private and public property as possible.

-Some taggers afraid of getting caught, or who go on "bombing raids' where they tag large areas with their monikers, now draw their monikers on stickers and post them on street signs, walls, windows anything in sight

The tagging culture has its own customs. One is competition between taggers with similar monikers. Since a tagger's fame is based on his name, having names that are too much alike can be a big problem, Siegfried said.

TagBangers

Often, taggers will settle name feuds by picking a day to tag their monikers and have a mutually respected tagger look at both and decide who gets to keep the name. This is known as a battle. But battles aren't always so easily resolved especially since some taggers have started carrying guns.

"Tagbangers,' as they are called, are taggers who carry weapons, use drugs and have criminal histories.

edited for nonclickable link deal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

On a related note, there's been a larger push in the academic world toward studying graffiti... a bunch of unis have been offering classes not on the actual production of graff, but on the sociologial/historical/etc. aspects of it. My alma mater is even offering one as a freshman english comp course....

The Writing on the Wall

Jessica Crabill, Department of English

MW 2:00 – 3:15  CRN 22241

Through class discussion, informal journal responses, and short paper assignments, students will explore the topic of graffiti through questioning.  What is the difference between a "graffiti writer" and a "graffiti artist"?  Can we distinguish between the "work" of convicted vandals and graffiti-influenced artists like Jean-Michel Basquiat?  Should our definition of graffiti include the cave paintings of Lascaux, the west side of the Berlin wall, and the sharpie "tags" scrawled on public utilities?  Finally, how do we write about what we see when we look at graffiti?  Students in this class will enhance their skills in clear writing, critical thinking, and persuasive analysis and argument through their regular participation in peer-feedback and editing workshops and their development of a portfolio of notes, writings and revisions.  Students will be asked to do a short in-class presentation leading up to a final research paper (8-10 pages) on a topic of their own choosing.

This is where all the conservatives start complaining about "leftist" and "overly liberal" education....

Originally posted by Dawood@Aug 17 2005, 04:25 AM

SSSSWAAAAP! <----------that was me slapping the mess out of the joker that wrote that article. "tagbangers" what a doofus.

Have you ever been out in the area that article was written about ??

If not, you would have to go there a few times to understand that level of stupidity. But its rampant out there, fools trying too hard.

• 2 weeks later...

TagBangers

Often, taggers will settle name feuds by picking a day to tag their monikers and have a mutually respected tagger look at both and decide who gets to keep the name. This is known as a battle. But battles aren't always so easily resolved especially since some taggers have started carrying guns.

"Tagbangers,' as they are called, are taggers who carry weapons, use drugs and have criminal histories.

being that this is san bernardino i can say that the police still have no fucking clue what the hell is going on...

i have not once ever seen a battle like that..or heard of one for that matter..

and tagbangers like the description he gave...have been around this area forever since back when omni trans was still 35 cents..

and even then the dude is only talking about the younger members of specific crews...and hell even then he's talking about a 10 mile radius thats bombed all to hell....and even then 90 percent of the tags are by three cats who pretty much attained legend status by 909 standards..

and besides all the yards are hot as shit anyhoo..not like the good ole days when you could walk on down the main street all night and not worry about shit as long as you stayed away from the project,heights,and little africa..

its more or less members or familiy members of gangs/gang members...applieng what they know to graffiti and a non gang oriented community save for a few...fucking rambling..

i want some albertos carne asada fries...or some hawaiin bread from stater bros.

• 1 year later...

Well, there is a lot of gang related stuff goin on in this area. Not too long ago we were listed as the 15th most dangerous city, with Compton behind us at 16. (like two years ago) Time of the post. So yeah of course people carry guns. You have to in this city. I don't but, I stay away from the shitty areas. Unless you want your shit taken, ass beat, or even worse, shot. You got to carry a gun.

What I want to know is that this city recently just praised their graffiti task force in an article as one of the top in the area. They talked about how with only 3 or so officers on the force they still make tripple the amount of arrest than other cities. Well yeah! We have a lot of people writting down here, and a lot of them are not smart about it. But by the sound of this article our officers don't know shit, and I'm happy that our dumb ass task force is out teaching other cities to be completely ignorant to what graffiti is really about.

I say lets catch TagBangers...

and I have heard many a cop use this term too. Even to this day, I still hear non-writters use this term.

What......The......Fuck

The 5 types of graff:

Communicative.

Hate.

Tagger.

Gang.

Mural.

In my opinion, hate ihas something to do with communication....i may be wrong, i dunno. (*ffs), so that takes that out. Then tagger graffiti, well, they obviously want to put their names out, so that to me says, "look heres my name, i was here, see that, im everywhere" etc: etc:

in my opinion there are 2 distinctions of graffiti.

+1 for the thread revival

Gang related

Non-gang realated

its all a form of communication, but the message is often what people really dont understand.

What......The......Fuck

The 5 types of graff:

Communicative.

Hate.

Tagger.

Gang.

Mural.

In my opinion, hate ihas something to do with communication....i may be wrong, i dunno. (*ffs), so that takes that out. Then tagger graffiti, well, they obviously want to put their names out, so that to me says, "look heres my name, i was here, see that, im everywhere" etc: etc:

in my opinion there are 2 distinctions of graffiti.

+1 for the thread revival

Gang related

Non-gang realated

its all a form of communication, but the message is often what people really dont understand.

well hate hes probably referring to fucked up shit like this

250px-FrenchCemetery103004-01.jpg

communicative graffiti is like the bullshit on wooster collective, like;

ihatesummer.jpg

or like, anti bush shit.

they dont fall in the same category. one is obviously hate, the other one is art fag/totaly hardkore anarkist yeah man go anarky fuck da system man yeah!~1!1!1

Communicative.

Hate.

Tagger.

Gang.

Mural.

i would say that all graffiti is communicative, it is the written word. i really hate articles like the one posted. when dipshits who have nothing to do with graffiti explain their pseudo-intellectual break down of the strata of types of graffiti.

• 3 months later...