tsunami videos

Manifesto

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

what i want to see is the 100 foot waves that were reported.

like some holllywood shit.

those videos just showed a stream of small waves...

i want to see some crazy rip curl shit.

i wonder what happens to the fish int he ocean as well...

do they get carried from out in the sea to the shores...?

Originally posted by Manifesto@Dec 30 2004, 06:12 AM

what i want to see is the 100 foot waves that were reported.

like some holllywood shit.

those videos just showed a stream of small waves...

i want to see some crazy rip curl shit.

i wonder what happens to the fish int he ocean as well...

do they get carried from out in the sea to the shores...?

the waves are larger where the bottom of the ocean is deepest, after the whole thing starts. they get smaller when they get close to shore.

Originally posted by ElectricitySucks@Dec 30 2004, 02:51 AM

the waves are larger where the bottom of the ocean is deepest, after the whole thing starts. they get smaller when they get close to shore.

thats actually wrong. link

Tsunami information

Tsunamis are formed by a displacement of water -- a landslide, volcanic eruption, or, as in this case, slippage of the boundary between two of the earth's tectonic plates -- slabs of rock 50 to 650 feet (15 to 200 km) thick that carry the Earth's continents and seas on an underground ocean of much hotter, semi-solid material.

The December 26 tsunami was caused by slippage of about 600 miles (1,000 km) of the boundary between the India and Burma plates off the west coast of northern Sumatra. The convergence of other plates strains the area, and at the quake's epicenter, the India plate is moving to the northeast at 2 inches (5 cm) per year relative to the Burma plate. The aftershocks were distributed along the plate boundary from the epicenter to near Andaman Island.

Tsunamis can travel up to 600 mph (965 k/ph, 521 knots) at the deepest point of the water, but slow as they near the shore, eventually hitting the shore at 30 to 40 mph (48 to 64 k/ph, 26 to 35 knots), according to Charles McCreevy, director of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.The energy of the wave's speed is transferred to height and sheer force as it nears shore.

The closer it gets to shore, the taller the wave gets.