trophy case: reporting marks bagged

Cracked Ass

This is hopeless freight geek stuff to most, but I thought: sports players have stats, bird watchers keep track of the number of rare species they've seen, etc., and I'm an anal retentive old fucker myself, so why not compile some freight career stats.

Today's subtopic is: how many different reporting marks have you bagged? Pieced cars only.

I count 129. The breakdown by alphabet is a little lopsided: I'm still missing J, X, and Z, yet I have 21 different marks starting with C. I suppose you could inflate your numbers pretty quickly by demolishing a yard full of mixed hoppers. We might have to handicap any marks ending in X - except some of those can be really rare as well as super common.

Rarer birds for me include ONT, CGR, SCL (solid gold), WCRC, and FCCM, all boxes.

I know, this is a gay topic. I should have been a math teacher or something.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

...ahh yes...freight nerds unite...

...i'll have to look through the archives o figure this out but i'm hrribly hampered by the fact that i've only lived in one area so most of the cars i get are the same...

...i'm probably wrong...but...isn't SCL seaboard coast line?...i though all original solid colds were fge...

...also...what about different cars with the same reporting marks...for instance...i've gotten at least five different kinds of GMRCs...from smaller railroads and stuff like that...but still with original paint jobs and heralds...should these count as only one or five...and what about rare restamps...i got a solid cold but it was a CSXT...i hold it hgher than all those damn waffles though...but i guess this is different...

yeah this is a very interesting idea for sure. sucks for me cause half my numbers arent in my albums, but im gonna have to go through them now and atleast get a statistic off my albums. i can safely say though that atleast a quarter of my numbers are blue csxt waffles and ridgies.

FUCK, it figures a thread like this would be started, right after I tossed the evidence..:lol: .. I use to keep track of all the ID numbers of every car I painted, always taking a pen /paper to the spot, sometimes forgetting and writing it down on the side of a can, with a paint stick..I just cleaned my desk out, and thought, shit what do I need this for anymore..the last entry was placed in it in October..so I threw it out, feeling that it was just incriminating evidence anyways..But Craked, It was pretty high up there as well, variety is a plus, some take it for granted, some are stuck with the same old cars..But I know we both got some crazy variety, but you took it with that Guatemala shit..you hotdog.

Guest rob deer

my personal slideshow plays by lines of fr8...so I get the Alm to start, the aly gondola...the armn's next...to the bn's n shit to the crle's cp's cn's ...the C's take up half the show...

I'm gonna say I hit 60ish, only cause I've done a few of anonomous hoppers n tankers. they couldn't all be acfx and gatx. the pooled gondolas are nice for strange lines too.

sounds like I have to play a lot of catch up

Guest snotrocket

STE, D&RGW, ELS, MNNR, GTRA, STMA, TASD, TOE, ARMH(SOLID COLDS), are some of the odd ball stuff ive gotten around my way.

Originally posted by porque

...i'm probably wrong...but...isn't SCL seaboard coast line?...i though all original solid colds were fge...

...also...what about different cars with the same reporting marks...for instance...i've gotten at least five different kinds of GMRCs...from smaller railroads and stuff like that...but still with original paint jobs and heralds...should these count as only one or five...and what about rare restamps...i got a solid cold but it was a CSXT...i hold it hgher than all those damn waffles though...but i guess this is different...

SCL is seaboard coast line. This was a Solid GOLD, not Solid Cold.

I had the same problem with Solid Colds, they were all SFLC, BNFE, or UPFE when I hit em, and I've hit other types with those marks. I just count the actual marks, making allowances for Canadian subclasses (CP-CPAA, CN-CNA-CNIS are five different marks to me) but just saying "oh well" if a rare car got restamped something common.

GMRC bought a whole bunch of gorgeous shortline cars and restamped them all, including Texas Mexican Railway, Helena & Southwestern (nice cowboy/saloon font), and more. I shrug and count them all as GMRCs. Whatever they used to be, once they get restamped they are going to be running the routes belonging to the new company, so I think the newest stamp is the only appropriate one to count. Of course this is a true geek topic so you're welcome to ramble on about the rare restamps you've gotten gypped on.

I don't know what to do about trains that get restamped after you paint them. I have eight or ten now confirmed. The new stamp for most of those is a bigger company I had already bagged many times over, and the old company still runs some of my panels with the old mark, so no real complaints.

...i hear you cracked...i've just always been more interested in what the original schemes were on cars than anything else...i love catching defunct shortlines that have been restamped by the big companys...

...i counted mine up from flicks and memeories and i only have 37 that i can say for sure...about 5 that i'm not sure what they were...pretty pathetic but what can you expect when you hardly travel and always paint the same spots...i didn't count any of my grey bellies because i don't usualy know hwta they were...so these are just the boxes...

...i don't have anything super rare...just a few shortlines that all have 3 digit serials...

I count at least 49 completly different reporting marks. I'm sure I missed a few, also it's hard to not count the various versions of say CP...the 208's, 214's, 220's these are all really different cars with different lines. Same for CN, BNSF, UP etc.

Some hot ones: WLO, RVPR, SLC, TOE, MEC, GMRC, SSW, and LBR

that's just what I could locate

• 2 weeks later...

yea.

this is some real nerd shit. which essentially means im into it.

i have thought about this exact system before, even went so far as to create an xl spreadsheet. but i caught myself and thought it was too nerdy, even for me. since i see im not the only hardcore rail nerd ill be combing my albums tonight and logging all my entries on my spreadsheet. speaking of railnerds, bosco you should get down with this. maybe we can make reporting mark bingo or something. but fuck the old ladies, well have rap video hoes at our bingo games.

you bunch of fucking nerds!

Archived