Traveling Questions

sadangry

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

be in swiss for aug 1. big party. theres some good festivals this summer, roskilde in denmark should be off the hook, same with splash in germany. go to italy, milan has good clubs, and rome is a party. dont spend too long in ams, youll blow all your cash.

^well im a young lady traveling by myself so I may skip amsterdam. I havent really made any plans, i just bought a ticket to london cuz that was the cheapest ticket i could find, and i prbly will only spend a day there and head out. I figured i would just see what other people had to say, because ive never been out of the US. Thanks people.

Guest imported_b0b

You lot dismissed A'dam too quick. It ain;t just the fucking red light district and coffee shops. Go explore the place and avoid the red ligth district at night and you'll be fine. It is a city like none you'd find in America.

BArcelona does deserve a visit too.

Originally posted by b0b

You lot dismissed A'dam too quick. It ain;t just the fucking red light district and coffee shops. Go explore the place and avoid the red ligth district at night and you'll be fine. It is a city like none you'd find in America.

Agreed. Americans think that all there is to Amsterdam is "Coffee" shops and working ladies. When in fact there are maybe a handful of said coffee shops and one street is dedicated to the Red light ladies. That leaves a whole city to discover. The architecture is amazing. How the buidings are still standing is beyond me. Every single one of them is tipping this way or that way, and looks to be falling over. Tons of cool shops, there's a great street market over by Rembrant's house, and I would go to the art museums if you have the loot and the time. If you're an artist yourself. Trust me, it's worth it. If your going to be there between the 25th and the 30th of June, let me know. I'm having an art show there on the 30th at this little clothing store spot. I can give you all the details.

Never been to Belgium but I'm going this summer as well. Everyone I've talked to said it's amazing. Brugges is worth the whole trip alone. I just met this guy from Australia who said he saw the most amazing Graffiti there. Was completely blown away.

The other places you mentioned should be amazing as well. You'll have a great time...

Don't try to see everything, it is, as suburban said, much more fun to chill out in one city for a week than to try to see five cities in a week.

I probably didn't give amsterdam a fair shake, it is a beautiful and very tidy city with lots of art.

If you want to go to belgium, go to brugges. It's this smal medieval city that had a 500 year economic slump so all the buildings are super old. They have ridiculously good chocolate and waffles for cheap, and everyone speaks english there.

You NEED to go to paris, end of story.

Try not to look like a tourist. Don't wear jeans, forget fannypacks, and use a messenger bag instead of a backpack. Attempt to speak local languages, even if it's just a little bit, and people will be nice to you. Don't be loud or pushy. If you follow these tips the locals will be 100% more helpful and friendly to you.

Before you go you should pick up some guidebooks. I reccomend reading Rick Steves' Europe Through The Back Door before you go, and picking up his guidebooks to everywhere you plan to go. Frommers is good too. These books will also help you find good cheap hotels (especially rick steves).