travel the world for free?

casekonly

can it be done? what about becoming a missionary? just to see the world and affect some peoples lives in a good manor, i think it would be worth it.

i'm considering turning myself into a world citizen..first, new zealand, then australia, then, who knows????

i just don't know where to begin. i was denied canadian citizenship because of my lack of professional skills. i'm not sure what else i can do to get out fo the country and see the world i live in, i only know that i want to.

well, abck to researching. i'll keep this thread updated for those interested in doing the same.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

DO IT ON A BOAT

seriously... you can sail around the world crewing on other people's boats.

The 3 big skills are sailing (navigation). cooking and diesel engine repair.

If you cant get these 3 down, then you can travel all over the world for free.

I wish I had done it.

ive pondered this same question for years.

couple solutions.

journalist:

they get to go all over, see real bitchin stuff and watch history unfold first hand. of course they get blown up by american planes sometimes, but i mean, every occupation has its hazzards.

UN:

a certain board members father works for the UN, bartering with warlords to get aid to impoverished people. sweet job right? right! they've got to live all over the world. pretty sweet if you ask me.

peace corp:

this one involves too many hippies, too many unshaven women and too much mud, no thanks.

my plan?

currently going to school to be a paramedic, then i'll travel through war torn countries fixing kids that step on landmines. i will also be taking photos and writing books/essays on the conditions, people and events.

it's not going to pay shit, but it'll be a life worth living.

you just gotta get creative.

Originally posted by casekonly

i'm not as cool as kilo, i feel ashamed

dont feel bad bro, I'm a hard act to follow.

If you want to do it the professional route,

get a degree in something like 'Hotel / Restaurant Management'

and then you can get trasfered all over the world once you get some

senority. I know a bunch of cats who are just ski bums but the work

around the world in hotels where ever the snow weason is busy.

You have to ask yourself 'Do I want to go to rough spots or to paradise?'

a friend of mine is working with 'Doctors Without Borders' in the Sudan.

I get emails form him and his adventures are without equal.

If you don't mind going to war and getting shot at it...I suppose you could join the military.

As I explained to a West Point cadet years ago...its not that I don't want to serve my country...I just have issues with people shooting at me.

I'd go the bike route...namely because I already plan on doing so.

missionary work?

you want to go into the jungle and tell a 10,000 year old civilization that their 'tree god' is wrong, i mean...go ahead.

only thing i can think of is to hit up google and start searching. you can also try sites like 'lonely planet' (dont know the url), there will probably be info on such things.

another thing you can do, is if you can speak any foreign language, is to call that countries tourist bureau and ask about positions in their tourist industry. it wont pay well im sure, but it might get you over there.

another option is to get to a country and then just look for work in and around the tourist market. check with hostels and stuff like that. they wont pay well either, but you'll prolly get a free bed and a chance to bang more 20 something girls than you've ever had in your life.

seeks -

my friend used to sail with me on square rigged ships.

He's a talk, lanky white guy who got a masters degree in economics.

He's with MSF as a logistics expert.

He isnt actually a doctor or a health care worker, but someone has to

figure out how to set up and supply a field hospital. I guess you would

say he's like 'hospital management' but in the heart of africa.

if you're interested seeks, I can send you some of his correspondence.

Originally posted by seeking

missionary work?

you want to go into the jungle and tell a 10,000 year old civilization that their 'tree god' is wrong, i mean...go ahead.

only thing i can think of is to hit up google and start searching. you can also try sites like 'lonely planet' (dont know the url), there will probably be info on such things.

another thing you can do, is if you can speak any foreign language, is to call that countries tourist bureau and ask about positions in their tourist industry. it wont pay well im sure, but it might get you over there.

another option is to get to a country and then just look for work in and around the tourist market. check with hostels and stuff like that. they wont pay well either, but you'll prolly get a free bed and a chance to bang more 20 something girls than you've ever had in your life.

the whole thing about that is that you can go overseas and you don't have to tell anyone why you're there, it's only if they ask about why you're there, then you "have" to tell them. i have a friend who's sister did that in china. she had a great time...i dunno. i'll check around.

Originally posted by Kilo7-

dont feel bad bro, I'm a hard act to follow.

If you want to do it the professional route,

get a degree in something like 'Hotel / Restaurant Management'

and then you can get trasfered all over the world once you get some

senority. I know a bunch of cats who are just ski bums but the work

around the world in hotels where ever the snow weason is busy.

You have to ask yourself 'Do I want to go to rough spots or to paradise?'

that's pretty cool, kilo. i'll consdier alot of options before i go off and travel..i need to plan this out correctly

Originally posted by Kilo7-

no shit, i would write all kinds of stories involving myself and that hottie Monica Bellucci and all our sexual escapades too.

Become super wealthy and travel the world. Best solution. But its not in the nature of the topic. nothing is really for free, you have to pay for transport, food and a bed most of the time.

start your own church and go preach your own message? preaching will get you kjilled in many places of the world. Israel will put you in jail for it. Maybe become a CEO of large global transatalantic Asia/USA trading company? Joining the army would probably be the worst idea in terms of "seeing the world." being stationed in Iraq for two years is a crap situation and isn't really seeing shit. Your better of getting a job for 1 year and then move to 3rd world shit hole for a year...instead of joining the army to stay in said third world shit hole (and risking death)

Are the merchant marines still around? My dad used to be one. Heh... My dad was a fighter too. Professional middle weight boxer and a kung fu master, art of the praying mantis. He trained in china. I guess that's one way to go. If I didn't already have so many injuries I might consider doing that.

i've traveled around the world for free..my dad being in the military but i dont mean just getting stationed.. whenever we wanted we took "hops" free flights on military airplanes to other countries.. before i lived in england i went there for a few weeks to visit my uncle for free..i went to thailand to visit my mom for free, and to korea.. and to belguim.. eh..join the military?

BE A SAILOR AND SAIL FROM PORT TO PORT. OR WHAT I DID WAS HOOK UP A STUDENT EXCHANgE.. YOU DO IT AS A STUDY TRIP BUT I DIDNT REALLY STUDY A LOT I GOT OVERSEAAS AND CHECKED OUT WHAT I COULD. YOU MIGHT HAVE TO LIVE WITH A HOST FAMILY, OR ON CAMPUS. I HAD TO LLOK AFTER A STUDENT FOR AROUND FOUR MONTHS BUT THEN THEY RETURNED THE FAVOUR

EDIT: HAD TO CROSS MY T'S AND DOT MY ....LOWER CASE J'S

Archived