transmission question

casekonly

i figured i'd turn to my helpful homies at 12oz for this one...

i have a '92 ford taurus with 76k original miles on it, and recently one of the seals went bad...front, to be specific. i called a few places earlier to get an estimate on repair and this one guy said that he thought the bushing on the torque converter went bad, and in turn caused that front seal to go bad and start leaking. so, those two things would need to be replaced in the order of around $370. does that sound correct?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

sweetcherry,

shut the fuck up.

$340 is alot cheaper than another car. it might be old, but it doesnt have alot of miles on it. not everyone has money for a new car. i have a 93 grand am with 140,000 miles on it - ive had problems with everything. most recently the windows wont go down and the a/c doesnt work. meaning it is literally over 100 degrees inside my car during these hot summer months in south florida. but i dont have money to fix it or to get a new car. and i work my ass off.

ive put alot of money into fixing my car, because even if i were to put it toward another used car, it would still have to be cheap and still have problems.

didnt you sue someone for money to buy a car? you fuckin ambulance chaser, you have no room to talk.

casek,

i dont know a whole lot about cars. but what i would do is call another mechanic and tell him that you think what is wrong is that..(just repeat what the first mechanic said). that way he'll think you know your shit and are less likely to be taken advantage of.

oh and if they say you need extra stuff not related...tell them you dont have enough money to cover it but youll be back when you get paid.

they think they suckered you..you know they didnt..its win/win.

yeah, the thing is that the car is in superb condition, except for the tranny trouble. i can't afford a brand new car, nor do i want a brand new car. haha....sweetcherry is an ambulance chaser....heh, materialistic, too....ahhh, to be young again.

credentials...

i race a automatic transmission 98 ford mustang gt supercharged...i know about taking the car apart and putting it back together, from motor to the rear end of the car, also had a nice life growing up in the hood borrowing cars for a while and keeping parts.... but i can tell you that a torque converter goes in the price range from 350.00 up to 900.00, and the labor charges for a regular overall car mechanic is 60-75 bucks an hour.....so id say if he can give you a warranty for at least 6 months.....then if i were you id ripp his arm off and take the deal and thank him for the favor.....hope this was helpful...be easy.:king:

76k is high for a taurus... sorry to tell you but that is the worst car that any company have made EVER.

Light it on fire, and push it down a hill....

The transmissions in those cars are amazing.... amazingly bad

its like they didnt even try

you can score a tranny from the salvage yard that came out of a wreck with less miles for the same price range. I would gamble with that

cause repairing the seal is a huge gamble.. fix that .. this goes .. fix this that goes..fix that and you go crazy !

word on the taurus problem, they always go, but 370 or whatever does sound pretty good to fix it, if it's new parts and a permanent fix, it might last another 76k, which would be worth it if nothing else goes wrong. but i don't know much about different cars, all i know is my parents had a taurus once, and the same thing happened.

Just since misery loves company, don't feel too bad Casek. The car I drive now is a '94 BMW 3 series and less than 2 weeks after I bought it the transmission went out of it completely. If you think Ford transmission work is expensive, be glad you're not me. The fucked up thing is I couldn't afford the car to begin with so I really couldn't afford the 2000 bucks they charged me to replace the transmission.

The best thing to do is take it to a few different mechanics and make them explain exactly what is wrong with it and how they plan to fix it. Also make them all give you written estimates. In my state, they aren't allowed to go more than 10 percent over the estimate without asking. Like someone said before don't let them add stuff to the original estimate, if they call you and say you're missing a johnson rod or something just tell them to stick to the estimate and put your car back together...

Thats all from me, goodnight...

ok, let's not be dumb here... Ford makes MANY kick ass engines and transmissions... Ford owns Jaguar, you know...

Now, let's get back to being Smart... ALL the cars, sorry, even the BMW (don't fret I drive a 4cyl Benz) are SHIT BOXES! They are ALL low end cars, they aren't built to go 200,000 miles (well, mine is, hehehe( (though should go 100,000)). If they are treated poorly at ANY time in their life it will GREATLY reduce the cars life expectancy...

*on the flip side... a guy I know has a Ford Econoline350 w/ the Triton V8. It was brand new in January, now it has 260,000m on it and at the end of the year, the van will sell for about $7,000... that's a pretty good hunk of change to get back on something with half a million miles on it... and that's because the guy who buys the used vans (and it IS one guy) knows they will last him another 5 years for his paint contracting company.

Archived