Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Toys post here...

Discussion in 'Paper Chase' started by swif1, Apr 2, 2002.

1. LifeISE

LifeISE New Jack

5E9CF0A4-AB71-48EA-9CE9-C02DB8CA39ED.jpeg
    86431C41-1C55-48DA-A437-3DFD1DC487DE.jpeg D1B1850E-E13C-4BD2-85BE-32DFCF1B3117.jpeg

No such thing as bad criticism

Moon likes this.
  2. Hua Guofang

Hua Guofang Dirty Dozen Crew

Same advice as almost all toys - start simple, stay simple. After that, keep doing simples.

Everyone's problem - as was mine - was trying to get too tricky too soon. Go back to doing simples and straights until they are clean as a whistle. If you get board, just make them lean a little or something very, very basic. Only after people tell you that you have simples down should you start even thinking about extensions and connections.

Go back to doing simples and post them.

LifeISE likes this.
  3. Hua Guofang

In saying that, the second one is pretty simple.

Make sure that the bars on your letters are all a uniform size. the L and the I are upright but the F and the E are on a lean. The E isn't balanced at all.

Try for a while choosing an established typefase, like something with serifs. Get used to drawing them text book clean but add shadows or 3D. Dont' bother trying to make up letters at the start, others have already done that for you. Pick a typeface and master it. Then start to make them lean, or curve, then you can think of adding the funk, etc.

LifeISE likes this.
  4. LifeISE

LifeISE New Jack

Thanks a lot. I definitely went all in from the start trying to get tricky with my fills & background without any “artistic” experience. I actually said today after painting something horrific that I’m sticking to straights & throwies from now on until I can get some consistency. Hardest thing for me is definitely keeping my letters balanced, those two I posted were all thanks to pencil & eraser because my hand control is terrible.

5. LifeISE

LifeISE New Jack

480D2C30-9EDC-4AEB-8B4C-6DFC1F3F6C4D.jpeg

Again with the balance all out of whack & a ridiculous lean on the I this time. Honestly probably one of the cleanest I’ve done on wall unfortunately.

ill.texas.zane and shaolean13 like this.
  6. LifeISE

LifeISE New Jack

How bad is my hand style? Lol

2561E21C-02FE-4A35-84E6-25F42ED43051.jpeg

shaolean13 and Moon like this.
  7. shaolean13

shaolean13 Junior Member

thats a straight tag i like that

8. simon sandleshit

simon sandleshit Junior Member

youre trying too hard with the handstyle. it needs to flow..follow the same concept given earlier of going simple. the problem youre going to run into is you may feel like it not flow because all of those letters are fairly rigid. i suggest practice and repetition and finding what letters work for you.

Don'te Setter likes this.
  9. citronellaforalgernon

citronellaforalgernon New Jack

Life, your tag is pretty beat to be honest. Like other dude said, you’re trying too hard to make it look like graffiti. Just do some nice legible all caps letters and go from there. Also, id pick a different name, life is very far from unique. But that’s entirely up to you.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  10. Decyferon

Decyferon Moderator Crew

Saw this and thought it deserved a shout in the toy thread. Don't bite

Screenshot_20180316-190729.png

11. LifeISE

LifeISE New Jack

Nobody in my city nor anywhere on the internet have I seen anyone write life so I’ll stick with it, unique enough for me & I dig the word. As for the all legible capital letters that’s what I started with, & over about 6 months it turned into this tag because of how it flows. I dislike the average half legible tag that all look fairly the same & feel that mine actually has some uniqueness to it vs all the other average joes I see. I know my pieces are shit, but I also believe there is no “correct” way for a tag to look. All the “proper” tags look bland in my opinion. That is all anyone really has though... personal opinion

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  12. simon sandleshit

simon sandleshit Junior Member

youre in the toy thread asking for advice. yes there is no correct way but with that tag there your shit is not gonna last. you have no style yet and your claiming your tags are better than the other "average joe" tags? a unique tag like your talking about takes years and years to develop. have to crawl before you can walk.

13. One Man Banned

One Man Banned Dirty Dozen Crew

Like said, swallow your pride and take advice. A tag can be simply written, well. Just like the advice on letters, you don't need all sorts of crazy arrows and connections and shit, you need flow.

On names, these days with the internet and shit it's mad easy to see that a name like Life has been taken. Kind of feel like you should change that shit. I know people will say you can always throw a number after your name like Life134 or some shit but IMO go back to the drawing board and get a more original name or have the approval of the person who used that name. Really no reason these days to take a name that has been used already.

14. Decyferon

Decyferon Moderator Crew

Look at people like Bates. His handstyles are sick but simple.
    I appreciate you're trying to develop your style and my handstyles are far from amazing however that Life handstyle looks weak like it's too forced.
    So many decent names you can write.
    I write Alts and Gutrot and have never seen these names used before.

15. Hua Guofang

Agree with the above, go simple and perfect that. I don’t think any of the letters in the tag have any real style, they just exist. Cool that you do your own thing but unanimous advice here is that it won’t be appreciated by your peers.