Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

tour de france heads

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by HESHIANDET, Jul 20, 2005.

1. HESHIANDET

HESHIANDET Guest

anyone catch the silly shit last night how they were talking about the little logos on lances bike and what they mean. they kept saying how they wee designed by the artist "futura" funny and gay. the tour sucks this year

2. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

and weird... I didn't catch the update last night but yeah... I'm not so into it this year, fell off sometime last week. I dunno, just lost interest for some reason. I get the paper every day and all I did with today's sports section was wrap up an avacado to ripen it...

3. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

if i wanna watch dudes in spandex riding bikes i would......wait, why in the fuck would i wanna watch that shit?

4. krie

krie Guest

Its cool when they get hit by cars though

5. shaolinmasta

shaolinmasta Veteran Member

Nothin to do with Tour De France but it is to do with competitive cycling...

Did anyone catch the freak accident that happened in Germany?

Around 10 Aussie female cyclers were training for the Commonwealth games somewhere in Germany, they were decending down a hill around a tight corner and a P plate driver came round and ran 6 of them over, killing 1 and hospitalizing 3, with 2 in a critical condition.

Pretty fucked up shit, the Australian Cycling community got rocked by this news (as well as the rest of Australia).

The funeral for her has just recently passed, pretty shocking stuff.

6. rental

rental Dirty Dozen Crew

damn. thats harsh. talk about 'taking out the competition'. rip.

7. HAL

HAL Dirty Dozen Crew

That brings me to the thought that always crosses my mind when i see folks in spandex riding bikes down some busy road. How on earth do they think no one's going to hit them? Not only that, but they take up half the fucking road, so you have to drive 25 mph behind them until all the cars pass in the other lane, and they keep looking back at you like you're some kind of asshole, then yell at you when you pass, like it's your fucking fault that they decided to ride their fucking bike on the busiest road in the state in the middle of tourist season.

Even worse is the troupe of dudes that decide they have to ride in the middle of the street, in the city, and block two lanes of traffic while they race for gold or whatever. I don't get why these cyclists think they own shit, like they're road-royalty or some shit.

8. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

whoa, i thought was a different thread, i swear i saw a different title when i clicked on this

9. HESHIANDET

HESHIANDET Guest

weej,
    we do own the road son...haha

10. nomadawhat

nomadawhat Veteran Member

i find it hilarious that lots of the cycling tights they sell have advertising ALL over them. so any joe cyclist can feel like hes a big shot sponsored rider.

[​IMG]

11. FunTimePartyTeam

FunTimePartyTeam Senior Member

What do they look like. I missed it.

12. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

You know what, I only log the measly 100 or so miles on the streets a week but I largely agree with OGroth, it is a share the road thing.

I also, however, know that most drivers either don't realize or just don't care what the braking capabilities, AND physical dangers, of bycicling are. I live in a state with huge numbers of motorcyclists, and huge numbers of them get rear ended each year by people follwing too closely. This isn't mere whiplash shit either. *Now I'm gonna point out that huge factor in braking speed depends on the weight of the object being stopped. Mortorcycles weigh hardley anything, that's why they out accelerate AND out brake cars.* Motorcycles weigh hundreds and sometimes thousands of pounds. Bikes weight tens of pounds, add a rider and your looking between 175 and 250 punds.

Basically, I can see some issues... 25 is pretty fast for a bike on a flat surface, maybe you're 'pushing' them. You need to give them a huge window in which to falter. If there are large groups you should hold out long enough to pass at about the speed limit. If people are yelling at you, it might have something to do with you suddenly accellerating to pass not realizing that at that range just the acceleration of your car vs. the relatively stable pace of a cyclist can put a 250lb object's shit in reverse like a bugs nose through it's own asshole on a windshield.

On the filp side they could just be bitches who insist on riding 3 wide with a 'safe' gap... I think a lot of cyclists can be really weird about it too.

All this said, I ride alone, I don't even like people near me on trails. On the streets I'll change my pace to avoid other cyclists. All this mostly because I don't want to be part of any traffic shit. I do wear the spandex shits with the chamois in the shorts but I also have 'regular' board shorts over it so I can walk in a store and not have to worry about my 'unitard'... heh, it's called a tard... anyway... I just look like regular joe on a bike with a messenger bag and I still have to deal with people on 2 lane roads who won't switch lanes to pass, or people who yell at me, or people one one lane roads who won't pass me at all but instead stack traffic behind them like fucking dominoes so past the 3rd one back everybody is pissed and 'kicks the dog' or blames the cylist.

One thing that is HUGELY obvious to cyclists is that MOST, wait...

MOST drivers have NO FUCKING IDEA WHERE THEIR RIGHT FENDERS ARE! People in really small cars pass way away, people in large cars drift dangerously close. Nobody swivels their head very much and things like this make cyclists like me very nervous...

Cycling is scary.

13. Tough Love

Tough Love Senior Member

dude i totally agree^^^
    ive been biking on roads for a while now, nothing too crazy, but some shit ive seen is ridiculous

cyclists(good ones anyways) should ALWAYS give themselves a bit of room between the curb and where theyr riding. simply because it gives the guy some space to avoid traffic (usually passing cars) that come too close. if they are too close, the curb will catch the bike wheel and they wreck. Its a safer way to ride. it gives the cyclist some room to breath.

alot of drivers are idiots. they either pass u too far or way too close. patience is one thing bikers should have, cuz i know personally id rather wait a lil for traffic to clear up then die

dont forget that on a bike, if u fall, especially on the street, ur gunna get either super wrecked, or die. uve got cars on one side, and curb on the other. Its very scary some times
    You gotta give these guys respect

again there are different ends of the spectrum, so dont over generalize\

oh and you mean the Tour de Lance

14. oh so modern

oh so modern Member

i say assert your right to take a full lane.
    if you dont you are endangering those that insist on doing so.
    cyclists i mean.

i have found that it is safer to ride in the loop than in the burbs
    because of the number of assertive cyclists in the loop (chicago).
    drivers are looking out because if they dont they are much
    more likely to hit a rider and end up with a problem.
    in the burbs though cars dont give two shits and you get
    ignorant motherfuckers yelling stupid shit at you.

my favorite are people who stop across cross walks and
    park across sidewalks makes me want to straight broadside them
    but then i am on a 15 pound bicycle and they are in a car.

whatever.
    yeah tour de france.
    go lance.
    dudes name is lance.
    one love.

15. H. Lecter

H. Lecter Senior Member

^that's why a BMX works best in cities~ manuveurability~
    ---

TDF is hott this year as any~