tour de france heads

Guest HESHIANDET

Guest HESHIANDET

anyone catch the silly shit last night how they were talking about the little logos on lances bike and what they mean. they kept saying how they wee designed by the artist "futura" funny and gay. the tour sucks this year

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

and weird... I didn't catch the update last night but yeah... I'm not so into it this year, fell off sometime last week. I dunno, just lost interest for some reason. I get the paper every day and all I did with today's sports section was wrap up an avacado to ripen it...

Nothin to do with Tour De France but it is to do with competitive cycling...

Did anyone catch the freak accident that happened in Germany?

Around 10 Aussie female cyclers were training for the Commonwealth games somewhere in Germany, they were decending down a hill around a tight corner and a P plate driver came round and ran 6 of them over, killing 1 and hospitalizing 3, with 2 in a critical condition.

Pretty fucked up shit, the Australian Cycling community got rocked by this news (as well as the rest of Australia).

The funeral for her has just recently passed, pretty shocking stuff.

That brings me to the thought that always crosses my mind when i see folks in spandex riding bikes down some busy road. How on earth do they think no one's going to hit them? Not only that, but they take up half the fucking road, so you have to drive 25 mph behind them until all the cars pass in the other lane, and they keep looking back at you like you're some kind of asshole, then yell at you when you pass, like it's your fucking fault that they decided to ride their fucking bike on the busiest road in the state in the middle of tourist season.

Even worse is the troupe of dudes that decide they have to ride in the middle of the street, in the city, and block two lanes of traffic while they race for gold or whatever. I don't get why these cyclists think they own shit, like they're road-royalty or some shit.

You know what, I only log the measly 100 or so miles on the streets a week but I largely agree with OGroth, it is a share the road thing.

I also, however, know that most drivers either don't realize or just don't care what the braking capabilities, AND physical dangers, of bycicling are. I live in a state with huge numbers of motorcyclists, and huge numbers of them get rear ended each year by people follwing too closely. This isn't mere whiplash shit either. *Now I'm gonna point out that huge factor in braking speed depends on the weight of the object being stopped. Mortorcycles weigh hardley anything, that's why they out accelerate AND out brake cars.* Motorcycles weigh hundreds and sometimes thousands of pounds. Bikes weight tens of pounds, add a rider and your looking between 175 and 250 punds.

Basically, I can see some issues... 25 is pretty fast for a bike on a flat surface, maybe you're 'pushing' them. You need to give them a huge window in which to falter. If there are large groups you should hold out long enough to pass at about the speed limit. If people are yelling at you, it might have something to do with you suddenly accellerating to pass not realizing that at that range just the acceleration of your car vs. the relatively stable pace of a cyclist can put a 250lb object's shit in reverse like a bugs nose through it's own asshole on a windshield.

On the filp side they could just be bitches who insist on riding 3 wide with a 'safe' gap... I think a lot of cyclists can be really weird about it too.

All this said, I ride alone, I don't even like people near me on trails. On the streets I'll change my pace to avoid other cyclists. All this mostly because I don't want to be part of any traffic shit. I do wear the spandex shits with the chamois in the shorts but I also have 'regular' board shorts over it so I can walk in a store and not have to worry about my 'unitard'... heh, it's called a tard... anyway... I just look like regular joe on a bike with a messenger bag and I still have to deal with people on 2 lane roads who won't switch lanes to pass, or people who yell at me, or people one one lane roads who won't pass me at all but instead stack traffic behind them like fucking dominoes so past the 3rd one back everybody is pissed and 'kicks the dog' or blames the cylist.

One thing that is HUGELY obvious to cyclists is that MOST, wait...

MOST drivers have NO FUCKING IDEA WHERE THEIR RIGHT FENDERS ARE! People in really small cars pass way away, people in large cars drift dangerously close. Nobody swivels their head very much and things like this make cyclists like me very nervous...

Cycling is scary.

dude i totally agree^^^

ive been biking on roads for a while now, nothing too crazy, but some shit ive seen is ridiculous

cyclists(good ones anyways) should ALWAYS give themselves a bit of room between the curb and where theyr riding. simply because it gives the guy some space to avoid traffic (usually passing cars) that come too close. if they are too close, the curb will catch the bike wheel and they wreck. Its a safer way to ride. it gives the cyclist some room to breath.

alot of drivers are idiots. they either pass u too far or way too close. patience is one thing bikers should have, cuz i know personally id rather wait a lil for traffic to clear up then die

dont forget that on a bike, if u fall, especially on the street, ur gunna get either super wrecked, or die. uve got cars on one side, and curb on the other. Its very scary some times

You gotta give these guys respect

again there are different ends of the spectrum, so dont over generalize\

oh and you mean the Tour de Lance

i say assert your right to take a full lane.

if you dont you are endangering those that insist on doing so.

cyclists i mean.

i have found that it is safer to ride in the loop than in the burbs

because of the number of assertive cyclists in the loop (chicago).

drivers are looking out because if they dont they are much

more likely to hit a rider and end up with a problem.

in the burbs though cars dont give two shits and you get

ignorant motherfuckers yelling stupid shit at you.

my favorite are people who stop across cross walks and

park across sidewalks makes me want to straight broadside them

but then i am on a 15 pound bicycle and they are in a car.

whatever.

yeah tour de france.

go lance.

dudes name is lance.

one love.

i usually try and be as courteous and law abiding as i can when i ride, but sometimes it boils down to yo, if im on my bike, fuck you. i dont care if im taking up the whole lane, youre in a car, youll get there before i will anyway. go ahead and give yourself a heartattack in your SUV, stuck in traffic honking and screaming at me. flooring it to get to the next red light. im laughing as i dip through traffic then run the next light if nobodys coming. you can catch a U lock if you really wanna get angry about it. rush hour in the city=nobodys catching a bicycle.

and did futura really design the accents on the Madone?

Guest HESHIANDET
Originally posted by deformatron@Jul 22 2005, 10:15 AM

i usually try and be as courteous and law abiding as i can when i ride, but sometimes it boils down to yo, if im on my bike, fuck you. i dont care if im taking up the whole lane, youre in a car, youll get there before i will anyway. go ahead and give yourself a heartattack in your SUV, stuck in traffic honking and screaming at me. flooring it to get to the next red light. im laughing as i dip through traffic then run the next light if nobodys coming. you can catch a U lock if you really wanna get angry about it. rush hour in the city=nobodys catching a bicycle.

and did futura really design the accents on the Madone?

my story.

Originally posted by hsimpson@Jul 22 2005, 11:52 PM

fixed gear is so the new bmx.

Fuck a fixed gear dude,

Those things are annoying~

even if you get use to them,

they're just not efficent for city riding...

flat landing is cool,

but why would you want a bike that you have to do an endo to slow down when you're whipping through traffic?

Originally posted by H. Lecter+Jul 22 2005, 11:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (H. Lecter - Jul 22 2005, 11:04 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-hsimpson@Jul 22 2005, 11:52 PM

fixed gear is so the new bmx.

why would you want a bike that you have to do an endo to slow down when you're whipping through traffic?

[/b]

why would you use only black and white krylon to paint?

because it is "pure."

i dunno if i agree, but that is the argument.

also fixed is cheaper and easier to maintain.

peace.

Guest HESHIANDET

i used to wonder why people would be track bike haters and have an "over it" attitude, but now i do to. so to my old nemisis, im sorry. im now a hater. my TB is in a box where it will stay. i hate williamsburg. if you dont wear tights your not riding.

hesh/bike snob