TOPICS & SUBJECTS FOR 12oz BOOKS

misteraven

With 12ozPROPHET now returning to the world of publishing, I was curious what topics, artists, writers, etc people were interested in. In general we've always tried to march to our own beat, but it doesn't hurt to hear what people are interested in. If all goes well, we plan to release the ALSO KNOWN AS series of books twice a year or so, but there's also been some debate about doing an artist series of books or something similar. Anyhow, I figure it would be a good subject of discussion to see who people are interested, why, and how many others agree.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i wish i saw/heard more about writers that put in work but don't tend to attract a lot of media attention.

there are plenty of writers out there that seem to be magazine and book favorites, and it seems like much of the graffiti books and mags gravitate towards those people, of course that's because a lot of em are dope and they deserve it, but i think there's a lot of cats out there putting in a lot of work, good work, but still flying under the radar in terms of recognition.

twelve ounce already did a good job of that, such as with writers like os gemeos.

it would be cool to see that type of coverage for all areas, not just areas that are pretty new to the graffiti scene.

and if there are going to be interviews, i hope that the interviews aren't only about writing and chase stories and crew beef and shit like that.

it would take some work, but I would really dig history lessons.

Not like the history of 'the scene' but more like the history of

certain tools or elements that are part of what we do.

for example:

aka aerosol - paint can history / trades / brands / collectors etc

certainly the spray paint can is essential to what we do,

so it would be interesting to see a bit more on the original '12oz prophet'

a stolen excert on the history of spray paint:

• The concept of an aerosol originated as early as 1790, when self-pressurized carbonated beverages were introduced in France. In 1837, a man called Perpigna invented a soda siphon incorporating a valve. In 1899, inventors Helbling and Pertsch patented aerosols pressurized using methyl and ethyl chloride as propellants.

On November 23, 1927, Norwegian engineer Erik Rotheim (also spelled Eric Rotheim) patented the first aerosol can and valve that could hold and dispense products and propellant systems. This was the forerunner of the modern aerosol can and valve. (In 1998, the Norwegian post office issued a stamp celebrating the Norwegian invention of the spraycan.)

During World War II, the U.S. government funded research into a portable way for service men to spray malaria-carrying bugs. Department of Agriculture researchers, Lyle Goodhue and William Sullivan, developed a small aerosol can pressurized by a liquefied gas (a fluorocarbon) in 1943. It was their design that made products like hair spray possible, along with the work of another inventor. In 1953, Robert Abplanal invented a crimp-on valve "for dispensing gases under pressure." This put the manufacture of aerosol spray can products into high gear. Abplanal had created the first clog-free valve for spray cans. Abplanal also invented the "Aquasol" or pump spray, which uses water-soluble hydrocarbons as the propellant source. He realized that the fluorocarbons in the older aerosol cans damaged the ozone layer.

a history of brands, colours, can and tip design, innovations and modifications......

+ mixing paints, profiles on writers who have custom colours made,

writers thoughts on brands (rusto silver vs. all the rest) etc etc etc:

RTEmagicC_aerosoldose_e_x180.jpg.jpg

------- montana custom colours:

KENT Heat Red WT 01

ATOM Napalm Orange WT 02

KACAO 77 Glow Green WT 03

DASH Nile Blue WT 04

BATES Power Pink WT 05

MINS Rebel Apricot WT 06

Mr. Maks Banana WT 07

CAN2 Blue WT 08

---- I'm goign to shut up now. I've made my point and will let others add to it.

i think symbols summed it up perfectly.

i havent bought a north american magazine in like 4 years, simply because theyre boring, and im tired of basically the same mag, with the same writers, over and over. no more magazine favourites please. theres alot of people doing alot of stuff, and getting not enough recognition for it.

It'd be weird it 12oz ventured into non-graffiti related texts in the same vein as all those Time-Life "How-To" books. In theory it could help 12oz break into more 'accessable' content if each were to focus on something completely different. It could then be tied into graffiti to show that while we're a bunch of delinquent retards with chips on our shoulders we also care to learn about things outside of our own selfish destruction.

Hell, the only reason I even thought of that is because a chunk of 12oz doesn't even do graffiti and a few of them are the board's most appreciated members.

This is probably too much, though.

i don't know about you guys, but every book i've bought there has never been any ads....

that being said, the brazil issue of 12 oz was my favorite. what made it stand out for me was how it just didn't fearure os gemeos, but focused on the culture and country and how that influences what they and the rest of the writers there do.

something with more of a cultural slant or focus on specific regions of the world would definately keep me interested.

effyou's got it right.

books cost more than magazines because the reader is paying for everything.

Magazines make money from two streams, copy sales and advertising sales.

Some mags, like vice, are free because the adds cover all the costs.

No matter what I personally think about the tribal add on the inside back cover of The Vaporz,

I understand that's how the magazine game works. The AKA book should be beyond all of that.

Originally posted by 26SidedCube@Mar 22 2005, 09:19 PM

P.S. Give Mero a job.

agreed. haha, that is one funny cat.

thing's id like to see / read about / get insight to would be:

-quality stories about chases, racking, jail, stories that the writer always makes sure to tell, like their #1 claim to fame.

-how they got their name... what led up to them writing what they write.

id like to see work / hear from:

gory, rime, nise, crnot, puzl, huge, atari, revok, ruets, benz, erupto, grey, amaze, metal, biter, nime, perves, themo, twice, causer, mize, soviet, reke, relaps, skuf, atlas, colt 45, ja, goal, navy 8, sigh, chip, onetime, elk, oze 108, jesse dac, cake, raels, bely, elik, eatfuk, sace, buket, mque, delk, hog, fred, dive, aesia, adek, pars, pores, floe, aerub... to name a few that ive noticed lately.

Guest sneak
Originally posted by GREENOJOS@Mar 23 2005, 12:16 AM

gory, rime, nise, crnot, puzl, huge, atari, revok, ruets, benz, erupto, grey, amaze, metal, biter, nime, perves, themo, twice, causer, mize, soviet, reke, relaps, skuf, atlas, colt 45, ja, goal, navy 8, sigh, chip, onetime, elk, oze 108, jesse dac, cake, raels, bely, elik, eatfuk, sace, buket, mque, delk, hog, fred, dive, aesia, adek, pars, pores, floe, aerub... to name a few that ive noticed lately.

add tox from london to that list.

anyway, for a book 3 simple words wont stear you wrong:

illegal

graffiti

pics.

im sick of reading the same crappy, bullshit in various graff books and mags about writers who have done their thing and have moved on to some obscure fucking fashion / abstract shape art flex. fair enough they are a legend for what theyve done for the scene but still - books and mags, take note not to suck the balls of the people you interview.

just give me raw photos of graffiti where it belongs - on the streets and on trains. (maybe less of the fr8s, but im a dude who prefers looking at commiters). pictures of drippy marker tags, not so good handstyles along with fresh handstyles to show the contrasts. street dubs, scratches, pure utter damage in a word.

Originally posted by GREENOJOS+Mar 23 2005, 12:16 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GREENOJOS - Mar 23 2005, 12:16 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-26SidedCube@Mar 22 2005, 09:19 PM

P.S. Give Mero a job.

agreed. haha, that is one funny cat.

thing's id like to see / read about / get insight to would be:

-quality stories about chases, racking, jail, stories that the writer always makes sure to tell, like their #1 claim to fame.

-how they got their name... what led up to them writing what they write.

id like to see work / hear from:

[/b]

you basically just said you wanted to see the last 2 issues of clout again.

...if you cover freights, i think you should do it from a perspective that hasn't been seen much...from the bencher...instead of having an article on a writer and all of their stuff have one about a bencher who shares some of their catches and insight into what keeps them going out day after day chasing freights for a flick...

...and you ahould do articles about toys...like follow them around for a couple months documenting everything and getting into their head...i'd love to see a bunch of toy-ass pieces and bombs and some story about how bad ass this kid thinks he is...