top 10 album cover art

optimodub

ok, instead pf top 5/10 tracks, what's peoples favourite album covers?

in no particular order...

Joy Division : Unknown Pleasures

(amazing minimal graphic, radio waves from a dwarf star or something like that)

The Stone Roses : The Stone Roses

(a Jackson Pollok-esque cover by the guitarist John Squire, with lemon slices inspired bu the 1960's Paris student riots, they used lemons to counter the tear gas, so i read)

God Speed You Black Emperor : f (sharp) a (sharp) infinity

(hand finished LP with original B&W print tacked onto cover, and a package inside with train-flattened canadian cent, a 'faulty schematics of a ruined machine [to scale]' blueprint, plus more)

Crass : The Feeding Of The 5000

(realist surreal painting by gee vaucher, bit John Yatesish like some Dead Kennedys sleeves, but better (without the DK's humour though) and she was the person who created the circled A anarchist symbol, apparently)

Spiritualized : Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space BP

(pharmaceutical package, CD comes in a plastic, foil sealed tray, tracklisting sheet is 'Patient Product Information', plus there was a limited version with two trays of twelve 3" CDs, one for each track, both versions actually packaged in a pharmaceutical factory)

Primal Scream : Vanishing Point/XTRMNTR

(both albums in a kind of hacked up, cut'n'paste collage style (QuarkXPress i think) by Intro design, who do all the Blood and Fire reggae reissue albums too, well nasty)

Unkle : Psyence Fiction

(can't go wrong with a bit of Futura)

Sex Pistols : Never Mind The Bollocks

(no explanation needed really, went to see a Jamie Reid exhibition (also jointly showing Banksy strangely enough, his stuff was at the other end of the hall) apart from the sex pistols prints, since he became a druid, his recent stuff is all new-age hippyish now)

The Velvet Underground : The Velvet Underground and Nico

(again, no explanation needed, i have the original LP, but the banana sticker is long gone unfortunately)

Big Black : Songs About Fucking

(got to respect Steve Albini, he despises CDs so much he released Shellac's 1000 Hurtz on vinyl in a box set cheaper than the CD, but the vinyl comes with the CD in the box too)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest --zeSto--
Originally posted by ELPAISGRANDE

I've heard the Bis cover, but not the squarepusher....how is it?

I'm not sure myself. I thnk the album just came out within the past few weeks

(or it might not even be out yet)... searching... I really need to find it.

i forgot Squarepusher has covered Love Will Tear Us Apart, can't wait to hear it...i just found Substance 2nd hand on vinyl at the weekend too, was well happy, and the Atmosphere 12" cover is excellent as well, similar style to the Closer LP

Peter Saville is the man, New Order's Blue Monday being another classic of his, the biggest selling 12" ever i read (but don't quote me on that)

Archived