tonite's UFC fight

POIESIS

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a huge fan of UFC and involved in amateur mixed marital arts fighting. This fight was by far one of the best UFC fights since Mark Kerr was around smashing faces in ful contact fighting.

Im actually really glad they both got contracts. How well they'll fare overall in the UFC is still kind of up in the air with me. They can both obviously take hits... from each other. And they can both stand in there and strike... against each other.

Put them against a Randy Couture, Chuck Lidell, or a Rich Franklin and they're smashed. But that's basically because they're new to the big leagues.

I like Forrest Griffin a lot. Simply because of this logic, "Im going to wait to get hit in the mouth and then figure it out from there."

The middleweight fight? Pathetic. Diego Sanchez is a good 175 lbs fighter. His opponent was dissapointing. If Chris Lebon was in there, that would have been an entertaining fight that would have lasted longer than 3 minutes.

Poiesis: You going to watch the Couture vs Lidell 2 fight? I watched the first one which was really good. Im actually pulling for Lidell in this one. But I doubt it's going to end in knock-out. Im saying this goes to decision. Lidell wins in a split.

yea i probably won't go to the pay per view event cuz i'm cheap and i'm

not a big UFC guy...fucking great match up though..i'll definitely check for the lidell/couture fight when it comes out on dvd or whatever..

after the griffin/bonnar fight i was pretty hyped..

i grabbed my dad and rocked his ass in an arm wrestle, then i was still hyped so

i did some handstand pushups and some flying ninja kicks around the room.

I'm happy with how that fight was called - they're both awesome fucking fighters, but I think Forrest did edge out Bonnar a bit. Good call to give 'em both the contracts for sure, but you know Forrest is just going to pawn the watch and piss the money away on booze, haha.

On another note, what the fuck was up with Shamrock? I'm a fan of Franklin, he's a great fighter, but Shammy falling twice? What the shit? He was the one attacking Franklin, and it looked like his legs just gave out both times...

Anyways, great fights. Fuck Pay-Per-View, I'll just watch the highlights for the Lidell/Couture fight..

http://www.ufc.tv

Date: 4/10/2005

Article Type: TV Live

Summary:

THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER™ FINAL ESPISODE FIGHT RESULTS AT DEADLINE

Complete Post-Fight News To Follow Later Tonight

LAS VEGAS, NEV., April 9, 2005….For journalists on deadline, following are official results for the LIVE final episode of The Ultimate Fighte™, the Ultimate Fighting Championship nine-fight card held tonight at Cox Pavilion in Las Vegas, Nev. Watch for complete post-fight analysis, including quotes by main event fighters via PR Newswire and e-mail.

Light Heavyweight Main Event

It was a big night for Rich Franklin (19-1-0) from Cincinnati, Ohio, who defeated UFC legend Ken Shamrock (26-9-2) from San Diego, Ca., by technical knockout at the 2:44 mark of the first round. Franklin escaped an arm bar and an ankle lock before Shamrock attempted a right kick. He slipped and Franklin pounced in Shamrock’s guard and finished the fight with a flurry of strikes. Shamrock could not defend himself and referee John McCarthy stopped the fight.

The Ultimate Fighter™ Light Heavyweight Final

In what the UFC’s top executives, officials, fighters and fans agreed was one of the best fights in UFC history, Forrest Griffin (10-2-0) from Athens, Ga., out pointed Stephan Bonnar (9-2-0) from Chicago, Ill., to win a unanimous decision and the title of The Ultimate Fighter™ in the light heavyweight division. But both fighters became winners when Zuffa, LLC awarded both fighters six-figure fight contracts with the UFC. The action in the Octagon was non-stop as both fighters scored in all three rounds with strikes, kicks and ground action. But all three judges scored it 29-28 in Griffin’s favor.

The Ultimate Fighter™ Middleweight Final

Diego Sanchez (15-0-0) from Albuquerque, N.M., became The Ultimate Fighter™ in the middleweight division with a convincing technical knockout over Kenny Florian (4-2-0) from Boston, Mass. Sanchez, a submission wrestler and boxer, took Florian to the ground after the first minute and dominated with powerful strikes. He opened a cut over Florian’s nose and referee John McCarthy stopped it at the 2:49 mark of the first round. Sanchez won a six-figure fight contract with the UFC and other prizes.

Light Heavyweight Bout (205 lbs.)

Sam Hoger (5-0-0) from Davenport, Iowa, won a unanimous decision after three rounds over Bobby Southworth (8-4-0) from Santa Cruz, Ca., with a a well-rounded attack standing and on the ground.

Middleweight Bout (185 lbs.)

Chris Leben (17-1-0) from Portland, Ore., won a TKO over Jason Thacker (4-2-0) from Whonnock, British Columbia, at the 1:35 mark of the first round. The fight was a grudge match holdover from the TV show when Leben ridiculed Thacker in the second episode. Thacker landed a hard right at the outset, but Leben recovered and went to a ground and pound attack for the win.

Josh Koscheck (5-0-0) from Buffalo, NY, defeated Chris Sanford (5-1-0) from San Francisco, Ca., by escaping a strong leg lock and landing elbow strikes and punches to win a TKO at the 4:21 mark of the first round.

Nate Quarry (12-1-0) from Gresham, Ore., who never fought on the show due an ankle injury sustained in training, defeated Lodune Sincaid (15-3-0) from N. Hollywood, Ca., by TKO at the 3:17 mark of the first round.

Light Heavyweight Bout (205 lbs.)

Mike Swick (7-1-0) from San Jose, Ca., knocked out Alex Schoenauer (10-1-0) from Las Vegas, Nev., in 20 seconds of the first round by landing four powerful strikes at the start of the fight.

Welterweight Bout (170 lbs.)

Alex Karalexis (5-0-0) from Las Vegas, Nev., knocked out Josh Rafferty (7-4-0) from Cincinnati, Ohio, with a powerful right hand strike at the 1:40 mark of the first round.

Replays: (check local listings)

Sunday April 10, 10:00 PM (ET/PT)

Monday April 11, 11:00 PM (ET/PT)

As far as UFC goes that was a pretty good fight I'd say. The rest of the fights were pretty weak for the most part... I could do better than that... I prefer to watch dedicated martial artists. Too often this UFC looks like a slugfest to me.

I'd like to see the couture v liddell fight but i am also a cheap ass.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by POIESIS@Apr 12 2005, 01:21 AM

after the griffin/bonnar fight i was pretty hyped..

i grabbed my dad and rocked his ass in an arm wrestle, then i was still hyped so

i did some handstand pushups and some flying ninja kicks around the room.

Hahahaha, fuckin awesome

Originally posted by gigan@Apr 12 2005, 02:16 AM

so who's into pride?

Rainbow%20Flag.jpg

nope..... I dont swing that way.

hahaha... and yes I know what it is.

I was watching the show when ever I was home and I dug the format.

I was really happy too when both fighters got contracts at the end.

There's one VERY simple reason why they both got the gig..... REMATCH!

The guys at UFC are way to business savvy to let a rematch to that fight

(shown on PPW I'd bet) slip away. Those guys were BRUISERS, but I dont

agree with the decision. Bonnar was still throwing back leg kicks in the 3rd

round and was just fighting a bit smarter. That was really too close a fight

to clearly call a decisive victory, no matter what the judges said.

Plus.... in real UFC rules they would have gone into another round,

but they didn't because it was the undercard.

yeah..... GOJU!!

yeah... at the end the only thing Griffin could pull out were soft leg

wraps but non worked. Bonnar is like 6'4 and he's not going to

the ground unless he really has to. The best part was right before

the decision when Griffin said 'Damn I'm ugly' right into the

camera. Both those guys are class acts in my opinion.

unlike that Diego Sanchez kid..... he's just that... a kid.

A good fighter yes, but please stop talking like you're

the love child of Bruce Lee and Muhammed Ali.

and I know it's not good to judge books by their covers.....

but do you think the kid got his zen teaching from his 'american chopper' father?

sorry.... low blow.

But if you're going to talk about being a 'zen master' but not show

a trace of humility or reserve, then you're talking outta your ass.

the reason griffin took it, i assume, was that he never stopped charging. towards the end, he didn't have much on it, but he was still dictating the action, where as bonnar was just kinda...there...reacting. not that they didn't both put up an amazing fight, but i think griffin was a little more spirited, and when things were otherwise so completely close, that's all they had to edge one out with.

of course i know dick all about this UFC business.

in order to fight in the UFC, do you have to have a 'contract'? i assumed the '6 figure contracts' they were giving out just meant that they were sponsored by the UFC, but that anyone who was still a bad ass could go ahead and enter. is that not the case?

A real martial arts master would clean house in the UFC. Typical of americans... Haughty, overconfident, and reliant upon brute strength over intelligence.

You are right seeks, Griffen was the aggressor. Being aggressive seems to win you points in the UFC. Most other martial arts tournaments I've seen aggressiveness can easily be turned against you. And hapkido specializes in that. That's one thing I noticed was that there was almost no defensive strategy whatsoever. I didn't see ANY technical blocks and deflections inside or outside with followup counterattacks. It was like these guys were still learning cause half the time they would do whatever their coach screamed at them.

And I really think they should have headgear, because if I was in that shit I would be throwing vicious roundhouses and jump kicks and all kinds of snap kicks and shit. I can kick as fast as I punch. And that's another thing! Some of these guys didn't even know how to throw proper kicks. Kicking with their toes and shit. Yeah they would need headgear cause I would be planting my heel into their craniums and cracking skulls.

non-agressive arts just dont work in MMA fighting.

I'm sure there's akido and tai chi chuan masters out

there who can defend themselves against gangs of

attackers, but then there's no points for 'octagon control'

and the other things the UFC deems necessary.

I still think the best mixes martial arts fights are K-1 fights.

You get guys who are pure tai boxing, pure sambo etc....

and they actually throw more kicks than punches.

oh.... one more thing, in 'full contact karate' boughts there is

a MINIMUM number of kicks that have to be thrown. I think it's 8 per round.

That keeps boxers from coming in and punching their way to a karate championship.

* neither Bonnar or Griffin would have had enough kicks in the last round,

as I dont think knees count. But I could be wrong about that.

villian,

no offense, but if you're such a billy bad ass, why are you working a desk job for the military? i wasn't there for either of these guys training, but i'm pretty sure that at some point they would have had an instructor that taught them how to kick properly. when you get into a situation like that with a dude just as dovted to the idea of destroying you as you are them, its automatically going to resort to a brawl.

i mean, there must be some reason that all these guys who are black belt jujitsu masters and shit all still fight just like everyone else once they get in there against a well matched opponent.