tomorrow...

vinyl junkie

earl scruggs, steve earle, and gillian welch...

sunday i'm seeing emmylou harris and dolly parton...

i am stoked...

if any bay area kids are heading out this weekend, come say hi to the punks (look for black clothes, tattoos and lots of budweiser) and look for the drunk wearing either a pop's or hammerlock hat... say hi and get a beer!

http://www.strictlybluegrass.com/2005/artists.shtml

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

earl scruggs was fucking amazing...

he is old as hell...

i think he has a set number of string plucks left in him before he croaks...

i managed to spend the entire set about 10 feet away from the stage...

i was mega stoked...

gillian welch is really fucking boring live...

we watched like 5 or 10 minutes of her, then had a beer fight...

steve earl was also fucking awesome, although he didn't play 'i don't want to lose you yet', which bummed me out...

looking forward to tomorrow...

*edit*

lens- it's 2;11am and i just got home...

i went to two shows after the bluegrass fest today- therefore no room mate hitting on...ing...

however i did spend most the show last night licking her neck when she wouldn't give me my whiskey back...

I actually like Dolly Parton, for some reason...some of her songwriting is really good. My girlfriend listens to her a lot, but she's from the hills, too...what can you do?

And, 9 to 5 was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid...I think it was on cable at least every other day between the years of 1983 and 1989.

I'm boycotting the Bluegrass festival, though, because of the cocksucker who started it, Warren Hellman. A sidebar- for those of you who aren't from SF, this guy got obscenely rich by financing private parking lots in SF through Wells Fargo....where a cheap spot in a private lot will set you back $18 a day. If you come to visit, fuck renting a car, just rent a bike. The hills aren't that bad.

Anyway, when they were building The Ugliest Museum in the World...here, just take a look at this floating piece of crap, AKA the De Young... be careful, it might hurt your eyes....

abn.sized.jpg

(It makes SFMOMA look like the Taj Mahal, doesn't it?) :yuck: Back to the story...

....Golden Gate Park had a parking concession out for bid, and Warren Hellman didn't get it. So, like the little bitch that he is, he threatened to pull the Bluegrass festival out of SF entirely unless he got the contract...and when fatcats like Hellman say "frog", you better believe the city of San Francisco jumps. So, he got the contract, and promptly started building a garage under the Music Concourse. You know what...here's the story....

Bluegrass ruckus ends on a high note

Phillip Matier, Andrew Ross

Sunday, May 2, 2004

Strike up the band.

After a threatened move to Oakland, multimillionaire financier and philanthropist Warren Hellman has decided to keep his annual Strictly Bluegrass festival in Golden Gate Park.

"Call me an aging sentimentalist,'' said Hellman, who pulled the free festival in March after a judge briefly put the kibosh on an underground garage in the park that Hellman and others have spent years trying to build.

A few other factors may have played into Hellman's about-face as well.

Since Hellman went into his funk, a second judge lifted the preliminary injunction that had halted construction of the $50 million garage at the Music Concourse. The garage will provide parking for patrons of the M.H. de Young Memorial Museum and the California Academy of Sciences.

And while garage opponents, upset over the traffic and noise it will bring, await their next day in court, construction is proceeding apace.

San Francisco's supervisors (many of whom are not garage fans) voted 9-0 to urge Hellman to bring the festival back to Golden Gate Park -- even invoking the Stanley Brothers' hit "I'm Lonesome Without You.''

And there was that pesky problem with the new site Hellman had his eye on, near the Oakland Estuary. It's not really big enough to accommodate the tens of thousands of people the festival draws.

Still, as a thank-you to Oakland Mayor Jerry Brown -- who once again found himself playing second fiddle to San Francisco -- Hellman agreed to toss a kids' bluegrass concert in Oakland the Thursday before San Francisco's weekend festival.

"Warren got his parking garage, and that's good for the Bay Area,'' said the ever-diplomatic Brown. "I'm glad the thing is working.''

As it stands, the free festival will be held the first weekend in October. Hellman promises another big lineup -- including Emmylou Harris, Ralph Stanley, Steve Earle, Ricky Scaggs and Jimmy Dale Gilmour

----------------------------------

I wouldn't have a problem with him moving the festival for other reasons, but come on... he basically got away with blackmailing the Board of Supervisors. And, it obviously wasn't hushed up if it was in the Chronicle. It's no better than a kid throwing a temper tantrum...actually, it's even worse when it's a 70 year old millionaire...

MrBurns.gif

How much fucking money do you need, anyway?

• 1 month later...