Tom DeLay indicted by county Grand Jury.

KaBar2

Well, they had to scratch through a ton of paperwork, but the Democrats finally figured out a way to unseat Tom DeLay from the leadership of the Republican majority in the House of Representatives, at least temporarily. His crime? That he "conspired" with members of the Texans for a Republican Majority Political Action Committee to make $190,000 worth of campaign contributions to Texas candidates after the 60-day cut-off before an election. Oh goodness gracious! The Republic is in peril! Like the Democrats never made campaign contributions that smelled a little ripe.

LAME ASS WHINERS. The Democrats rammed their liberal shit down our throats for FORTY YEARS, but whine like little babies when the Republicans are in the catbird seat. We should check the list of Travis County grand jurors to make sure none of them reside in a Travis County cemetary, that's the usual Democratic trick down here with "registered voters." (Dead Texans seem to always vote Democratic.)

Oh, well. National politics is hardball. DeLay is a big boy. "Let the games begin."

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahahahaaa suck it man, now you turn into the whiner?

i had to deal with YEARS of WHITEWATER AND LEWINSKY investigations

after ollie north gets away with Iran Contra?

FORTY years?

i guess you forgot about Bush 1, Bush 2, and Reagan?

you are a joke!! trying to say they are whining hahahaaa!!

House Majority leader Tom DeLay is not a physically imposing man. "Five-foot-seven if he's wearing high heels," in the words of Fort Bend County sheriff Milton Wright, whom DeLay once spent $70,000 to defeat in an election because the sheriff had hired a woman whose husband had sued DeLay. Yet in the decade since Republicans took control of the U.S. House of Representatives, the former exterminator from suburban Houston has achieved the political stature of the historical giants in Statuary Hall outside his Capitol office. He did it on his own, consolidating his political power and using it with a remarkable sense of purpose.

DeLay's rapid ascent has been the result of more than hard work and a keen understanding of politics. He became majority whip and then majority leader by raising massive sums of money -- a total of $12.6 million between 2000 and 2002 alone -- and by strategically spending it on Republican candidates, in effect buying the loyalty of his colleagues. He has domesticated K Street, demanding loyalty and contributions from lobbyists in return for favorable treatment. And all along the way, he has strained, reinterpreted, and sometimes simply side-stepped ethics regulations in Washington and even in his home state of Texas, which has some of the nation's loosest campaign finance laws.

Now, three separate sets of state and federal investigators are looking into whether DeLay and his associates may have finally crossed the line.

Two civil suits filed in Austin allege that DeLay's Texas political action committee raised hundreds of thousands of dollars through illegal means. A parallel criminal investigation by Austin's district attorney, Ronnie Earle, has already led to the indictment of DeLay's top Texas fundraisers -- and Earle is not ruling out the possibility that DeLay himself could be a target of the investigation. And the Senate Indian Affairs Committee has subpoenaed records on two DeLay associates who used their access to "the Leader" to secure $45 million in lobbying and consulting fees from four Indian tribes. A federal grand jury in Washington, D.C., is also investigating those fees.

By itself, none of the inquiries is an immediate threat to DeLay's power as majority leader. But together, they threaten to expose -- and perhaps even unravel -- the machine he has been building since first getting elected to Congress in 1984.

"I am the federal government!" DeLay told a restaurant manager last year, according to the Washington Post, when he was asked to put out his cigar to comply with federal law. It's easy to see why he might think so.

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2004/11/10_403.html

..so kabar, looks like it isn't only one partisan democrat.

i'd tell you to read and respond, but i know you only pay attention to arguments you think you can win.

All in all, argues Earle, the evidence suggests "an illegal movement to basically steal an election by using illegal secret corporate donations to political campaigns."

Earle is referring to a watershed moment in Texas politics -- the 2002 election in which the state House of Representatives, after a carefully targeted campaign devised by DeLay and his associates, swung to the GOP. The new majority immediately proceeded to draw a new congressional district map designed to give DeLay half a dozen more Republican seats in Congress................

Some of the issues Earle is investigating were first made public by the watchdog group Texans for Public Justice, which noticed an interesting discrepancy between the group's federal and state filings: Roughly $600,000 of the $1.4 million TRMPAC spent in its campaign to change the majority in the Texas House had been reported to the IRS, but not to the state's ethics commission. As it happened, the federal records showed that about $600,000 of the group's money had come from corporate contributions, clearly identified as such by the PAC's fundraisers. Texas law allows PACs to use corporate money for administrative purposes -- that is, expenses that would be incurred by any business, such as office space, phone bills, and routine mailings. But phone banks to promote candidates and similar campaign expenses don't qualify.

meanwhile dead floridians vote republican. weird.

capone, after murdering (or ordering the murders of) hunds of people, was finally convicted of tax evasion. should they have not bothered, because they couldn't get him on first degree murder?

sorry kabar, but this is fucking comical. delay is a piece of shit, flat out. and before you get on some high horse, you should remember that your republicans invented the petty witch hunt and changed politics forever during the cclinton years. my only complaint is that the democrats are still being too noble. they need more smear campains, like the one republicans used against their own presidential nominee (mccain).

reap what you sew, homie.

Well, presumably the Travis County District Attorney knows how this game is played. Want to wager on whether or not he will be facing a rather well-financed Republican opponent in the next election for District Attorney? Foolish guy, to indict DeLay on something so petty. Unless, of course, DeLay's Republican colleagues are ready to see him go down the road. No question about it, Tom DeLay is a rather arrogant politician. He's also an extremely powerful one, with very powerful friends, both in the state and national political arena, as well as the business world. I hope our stalwart D.A. has an umbrella, because it is "fixin' to rain."

he redrew the fucking districts dude

why would i bet on a game that is clearly FIXED?

millions of dollars in illegal campaign funds is petty huh?

i'd hate to hear your opinions on rewarding businesses owned by politicians with multimillion dollar no-bid contracts, tax breaks, and lax environmental laws.

if you want something 'petty' to whine about,

Top Senate Republican facing scrutiny of stock divestiture

He sold his shares in family's business, then price dropped

Jeffrey H. Birnbaum, R. Jeffrey Smith, Washington Post

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Washington -- Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist is facing questions from the Justice Department and the Securities and Exchange Commission about his sale of stock in his family's hospital company one month before its price fell sharply.

you need to get a perspective on the big picture

i almost forgot:

:crying: mfor all those poor, persecuted republicans.

when will they catch a break?

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by KaBar2@Sep 28 2005, 10:09 AM

Foolish guy, to indict DeLay on something so petty. 

Wait, money laundering, conspiracy, and violating campaign laws is "petty"? Should he have had to run into the house or reps blasting people to get busted for a real crime?

Frist is pulling a Martha Stewart, Bush was made president with major help from Enron, Cheyney and Haliburton rebuilding Iraq together, Bolton has ties to the Plame case as does Rove of course, Rush is a drug addict, Rupert Murdoch is with like a 20 year old, O'Reilley is harrasing employees and paying them hush money...

I love the moral high ground taken by your republican gangster party -the corporate welfare, the defrauded stock holders, the secret meetings of CEOs to form public policy, the good old boy approach to law and contracts, the intoxication of power, the blasphamy of using God as a reason to enslave the population...

Hopefully DeLay will exercise his 2nd ammendment rights and shoot himself...

and before somebody brings up some left wing conspiracy to bring down the Republican party, i.e... Frist, Rove, Delay, Rush, O'Rielly, and about half of anyone who has anything to do with the Bush administration. Frist in particular, who got the GOP behind him to get Trent Lott out of the top position in the Senate.

Sounds like somebody wanted somebodys job.....

politics as usual

Originally posted by POIESIS@Sep 29 2005, 04:31 AM

oh and i heard somewhere that the republicans spent more investigating

clinton's diddling habits than they did 'investigating' 9/11....baloney?

Nope, probably true. The Dems are just sore losers, they pull the same sort of political shenanigans every day, and sometimes they get caught and indicted. Austin must be like one of the last Democratic strongholds in Texas. Pretty much the rest of the state except for the border counties (notoriously corrupt from drug smuggling, illegal aliens, etc.) is Republican now. The Democrats in South Texas are well known for graft, corruption and political intrigue. These are all counties that are about 90% Mexican-American, and the Democratic political machine down there is as notorious as the Daly machine in Chicago. Texas could concieveably become Democratic once again, as the demographics shift. The state is now officially more than 50% Latino. Latinos vote Democratic, for the most part (those that can vote--a great percentage of Texas' Latinos are illegal aliens, who cannot vote, and aren't supposed to even be here.) I look to see the Democrats trying to "amnesty" millions of illegals and authorize them to vote in the next few years. There is a political struggle going on in all the southwestern border states for the allegiance of the Latino vote. The Republicans embody the conservative, family, anti-abortion values of many Latino voters, but the Democrats support the "free immigration," welfare-state, give-them-all-the-entitlements-you-can-think-of ideas of the Left.

There are plenty of Latinos in Texas that vote Republican. They have arrived, they are working and prospering, and some of them have quickly Americanized to the extent that they wish to "close the door" on further immigration (except for their extended families, of course.)

DeLay has both allies and opponents within the Texas Republican Party. I know one of his allies, Congressman John Culberson, slightly. We both spent part of our childhood and adolescence in West University, a suburb of Houston not too far from the Rice University campus. I knew Culberson's older siblings very well, we lived a few blocks apart, and went to the same high school.

I never met DeLay, although in the early part of his political career he ran for smaller, local offices in the southwest Houston/ Sugar Land area. He was an insect exterminator before he went into politics.

wtf? bush ahs passed up a ton of bills to put a stop to illegal immigrants crossing the borders. neither the dems or republinazi's gives a fuck....in fact, didn't bush want to issue drivers licenses so that would allow illegals to vote? wtf?

you should get your head out of your ass. i respect your views on alot of things, but damn.

Originally posted by casekonly@Sep 29 2005, 11:34 AM

wtf? bush ahs passed up a ton of bills to put a stop to illegal immigrants crossing the borders. neither the dems or republinazi's gives a fuck....in fact, didn't bush want to issue drivers licenses so that would allow illegals to vote? wtf?

you should get your head out of your ass. i respect your views on alot of things, but damn.

i dont believe it was Bush, with the Driver's Licenses it was Scwartzenager(sp?) in Californina, or the governer he replaced. Bush was responsible for the guest worker program. witch is, I think a form of amensty

KaBar,

11 of the 15 politicians Earle has prosecuted as District Attorney have been Democrats. Why? Because the Democrats were in power for a good portion of his stint as DA, and power tends to corrupt.

It's not about R or D, it's about good guys and bad guys, cops and robbers.

This discredits your claim that Earle is simply acting as a partisan stooge.

And regardless of how much you and other conservatives would like it to be, Earle will not lose an election while in Travis County. Check the past few elections and look at the margins. Look at how Travis County voted Bush/Kerry. Sorry.

+ edit - unless he's redistricted out of office, which seems to be standard at this point.

Originally posted by casekonly@Sep 29 2005, 01:02 PM

are you sure?

I know for a fact that there was a movement in California to issue illegals drivers liscenses, I just can't remeber with part of the government was behind it. Same goes to the guest worker program, that was all Bush's idea, which is odd because it pissed off most of his supporters.

On the national level the only thing I can think of that is similar to the Driver's license idea is some GOP congressmen that is pushing for national ID cards. (This is the same guy just introduced a bill to repeal the 22nd amendment....that one that sets a president to two terms)

i thought bush did come out in supoprt of driver's lisences for illegals.

but it looks like it was JEB

Published April 7, 2004

TALLAHASSEE -- One of Arnold Schwarzenegger's first decisions as California governor was to repeal a state law allowing nearly 2-million illegal immigrants to get drivers' licenses.

The move angered the state's large immigrant population, but Schwarzenegger said he would only support a law with safeguards against terrorism. Critics had designed posters showing Osama bin Laden's likeness on a license.

Now, Gov. Jeb Bush says he supports a bill in the Legislature to allow illegal immigrants and foreign nationals in Florida to drive legally -- subject to safeguards that include criminal background checks.

Bush says hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants commute daily to jobs all over the state, many lacking licenses and insurance.

"We shouldn't allow them to come into the country to begin with, but once they're here, what do you do?" Bush asked. "Do you basically say that they're lepers to society? That they don't exist? A policy that ignores them is a policy of denial."

Originally posted by casekonly@Sep 29 2005, 02:17 PM

good job, grim. thanks. i do recall california doing something with drivers licenses...

anyhow, i thought bush played more of a roll in a national program liek that....so just illegals could vote...republican

quite possibly, i think that is how the guest worker program works, its not the same a say, granting amnesty, but they may soon be citizens and be allowed to vote.

I could care less about immagrants coming over here to work or vote, as long as they contribute to the country that makes it possible for them to be albe to send money back home to make life better for their families.

I used to work with a bunch of mexicans and other guys from various countries in south and central america and they made the rest of the guys in the foundry look like a bunch of lazy half asses. My only problem was that they paid no income taxes of any sort, drew 100% of their pay, and got to enjoy most of the benefits, that i do.

Now is that fair? (No it's not..... but under the fairtax that would not be an issue :haha: )

but back to the topic of hand with Rep. Delay

both sides should just stop bitching and pointing fingers at the other side, and just let this play itslef out. The Delay supporters are saying that the indictment holds no weight and is just a bunch of BS. That may well be so. So, if Delay and co. are in the right then they should have nothing to worry about, because the case will either be thrown out or he will be aqquited. Case closed...

well thats just my $0.02

The Republicans probably hate the fact that in order to stay in power, they are going to need to hold their noses and amnesty the illegals. They don't have a choice, because the future is BROWN. The flood tide of illegal aliens, their extremely high birth rate, and their affinity for bringing their relatives up here too means that the next generation of Latino-Americans will have tremendous political power.

Both Caucasians and African-Americans have a falling birth rate. The whites only have a birth rate of 1.8, which means that unless there is some drastic change, whites will cease to be a majority before 2025.

Future Republican candidates will all speak Spanish. In fact, there is an excellent chance that the southwestern states will ALL be Spanish speaking, and effectively once again an extension of Mexico.

The border counties in Texas are among the top 25 "most Mexican" counties in the U.S.--that means "counties populated by MEXICAN CITIZENS." Los Angeles, CA, is the second-largest MEXICAN city (populated by citizens of Mexico) next to Mexico City itself.

Our country is perched on the threshhold of precipitous social change, and we did this to ourselves, by allowing uncontrolled illegal immigration. I'm 54. Twenty years from now, probably, I'll be gone. Maybe thirty, at the outside. You guys, however, will still be enjoying this delightful, liberal, multi-cultural smorgasbord. Bon appetit.

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob@Sep 29 2005, 01:15 PM

KaBar,

11 of the 15 politicians Earle has prosecuted as District Attorney have been Democrats. Why? Because the Democrats were in power for a good portion of his stint as DA, and power tends to corrupt.

It's not about R or D, it's about good guys and bad guys, cops and robbers.

This discredits your claim that Earle is simply acting as a partisan stooge.

And regardless of how much you and other conservatives would like it to be, Earle will not lose an election while in Travis County. Check the past few elections and look at the margins. Look at how Travis County voted Bush/Kerry. Sorry.

+ edit - unless he's redistricted out of office, which seems to be standard at this point.