tokyo?

remote

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cool beans. you can reach me at remotela@mail.ru

i try not to do anything stupid. i have been in the "game" since 93 out here in l.a. (many different aliases), and definately know and respect the do's and dont's of graf. "remote" is just a part time thing for me. i am 25 years old, and don't need any more felony convictions on my record. its just a hobby while i am out here, or visiting tokyo. an occasional rooftop or bomb, or maybe a night out with my stickers and markers. with that said, i want to keep "remote" a clean, respectable, beef free name.

I was in tokyo for a couple of weeks this year and a couple the previos i emailed every japanese graff site over there to try hook up with someone to paint with and got a total of zero responses hospatality was overwelming. I wasnt that impressed with the lines and the only suburb with much damage that i saw was shibuya and a small amount in shinjuku. I did however catch a fuckinnnnnggggg big ass legal???? wall in yokahama just outside the station with a bates piece on it as well as many other nice pieces. In shibuya i saw a few tags by amaze and twister and a wall by them aswell. Slapons seem to be huge over there aswell. i have pics i will post of some slapons soon.

Originally posted by boozehag

I was in tokyo for a couple of weeks this year and a couple the previos i emailed every japanese graff site over there to try hook up with someone to paint with and got a total of zero responses hospatality was overwelming. I wasnt that impressed with the lines and the only suburb with much damage that i saw was shibuya and a small amount in shinjuku. I did however catch a fuckinnnnnggggg big ass legal???? wall in yokahama just outside the station with a bates piece on it as well as many other nice pieces. In shibuya i saw a few tags by amaze and twister and a wall by them aswell. Slapons seem to be huge over there aswell. i have pics i will post of some slapons soon.

yeah, i caught some twist/amaze tags out there too. this pic is from harajuku

http://www.knurdle.com/albums/giantrobot/twist.sized.jpg'>

that tag in the upper left hand corner above the twist is yoka, written in japanese.

dont think that the writers didnt want to hang with you, because i know the majority of the writers in japan and theres only a few kids in tokyo that know english. believe me if you met any they would treat you as if you were twist himself.

the wall in yokohama is all illegal. and as for painting along the train lines, thats an american thing. i dont really get it myself but they dont really paint the lines. only a few have caught on that a train can be a moving museum.

also i'd like to add as a side note if you are coming to japan do not for the love of god just go to tokyo. if you really want to see japan travel anywhere outside of it. that place is a hell hole. for suggestions kyoto nara osaka sapporo nagano fukuoka are ten times better. not necessarily for graff but what the "real" japan is like. just in case anyones cares.

hey serum... whats the deal with paint/tips out there. i noticed that most of the paint in japan has cans with female tips. where do you guys get fat caps/nice thin caps for the cans there?

another thing. how does japaense bombing work? do most people bomb during the non train hours? 1am-5am? in the big parts of tokyo (shibuya, shinjuku, ikebukuru) there are people cathing tags ALL OVER the place. but i cant imagine they do all that during high traffic hours, when all the normal people are still out and about. there are just WAAAAY too many people out even until midnight. if the writers do just go out at anytime, what is the deal with police or people trying to be heros. do people just "look the other way?"

and i feel ya about the "real" japan thing. i am not a big fan of tokyo anymore. the people are a bit harsh there. i have heard a ton of good things about osaka though!

Guest INDEPENDENZA

i agree it would be interesting to know how people react to graffiti in japan... do they consider it like an horrible crime? do they leave it alone? are writers considered apart from society? is graffiti a part of counter culture that rejects ancient traditions and welcomes western influences? i hope im not stereotyping too much.

from my limited experiences, INDEPENDENZA, people seemed to just turn their cheek. i mean i only got up with my stickers, and a few actually paint marker tags. but when i did it, people didnt seem to mind.

i am more concerned with actually bombing/painting for the next time i go visit. i saw an ASSLOAD of dope spots to hit. but i want to find out how graffiti works before i just go out wreckin. i dont need to get busted in a foreign country because i wasnt totally sure on the way things work there.

in terms of paint tips we have some shitty fats [red tip] and some thins [blue tip] all cans come with stock fan tips. they are usually sold at hip hop clothes stores. however they are usually hidden so if you don't speak Japanese finding them might become a hassle. but recently Montana and Belton have begun to be distributed throughout tokyo, osaka, and Hokkaido. so if you see the cans they might have some Japanese tips. but since the Japanese paint is horrible you might as well purchase some Belton.

tokyo never sleeps and is busy all night long but 100% of the bombing is done at night. at present graffiti is fashionable with the younger generation so if they see you painting they will all crowd around and cheer you on. which is probably no better then someone yelling at you. no one will ever be a hero to a foreigner since most Japanese hate confrontation, however salary men usually hate westerners since most of them are ww2 victims or victims of company English classes. the classes leaving a more of a painful memory than anything, so they will call the police, as will some taxi drivers.

I'd suggest keeping your passport on you at all times, and having paint will not lead them to any suspicion of graffiti, they care about knives, guns and drugs. if you are caught, be extremely polite and show them respect and they will show you the same, don't speak any Japanese, speak only English and apologize repeatedly over and over again. showing remorse goes a long way and they will most likely let you go. however with no passport they will think you're a criminal and will keep you forever in jail until someone brings your passport. the police have the power to arrest someone for 30 days without pressing charges. and can only charge you in court with something if you admit to being guilty. they have a 99% conviction rate. shibuya is seen as a dump anyways so getting caught in that area is better than in an area that is clean. the tokyo heads have been painting trains recently so be weary of getting up on the train or the train lines unless you know what you are doing, the more popular lines have an undercover in every train car since the recent uprise in violent crime and perverts.

damn u

you have just fueled my rage to go to the land of the rising sun. i nut every time i think of the land with skyline r32's,33,34s sil-15/80 lancer evo6,7 silvia s13k/s14k 180sx's poppers breakers FUCKING DANCE TV SHOWS AND MOST IMPORTANTLY................................DRIFTING IN THE MOUNTAINS WITH SIGNAL AUTO, TRUST AND DRIFT KINGS:o WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

THANKS FOR THE INFO SERUM!!!! that was a great help! i plan on headed back out in may to visit my girl. and now that i know how it works, i'll be ready to go! i think i'll just stick to spots along the train lines. like i said in a previous post, there are TONS of cute little spots to hit along the lines!!

i do speak japanese, so the tip thing shouldnt be a problem. is there a certain word they use for tips? or can i get bye by romanizing tips (chipusu)?

thanks again!!!!

no problem. as for tips try supurei kapusu. fato [red] and hosoi [blue]. and the rule is, if you can speak japanese then you should know that you shouldn't be painting in japan. plead ignorance. and if you run you must be guilty because you knew that you shouldn't have been painting. kiotsukete.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest trAmple

i visited japan before, and i seen the station in yokohama..my friend told me it was legal..i wasn't into graf back then but i remember the characters they did was dope..! i definetely will be go back to japan..at least i know some of the japanese law now thanks for the info

DAMAGE...!!

• 2 years later...

those look nice

but it woulda been better if there were pieces done in japanese alphabet..

i dunno

my opinion

its just a little un original when u have the chance to do a great new style of graffiti.eg. in jap writing but then end up seein just english style

anyways

cant do much bout that...

Archived