Today is the 60th Anniversary of Paris' Liberation from Nazi Occupation..

MIZZaBcfly

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

private messages don't work on this site

also here so people won't get on your back

PARIS Aug. 22, 2004 — There was little bread and barely any butter. Without coal, electricity or gas, Parisians were cooking meals on camp fires in the streets. By the summer of 1944, the French capital under the Nazi boot for four years was hungry, exhausted and seething with revenge.

Allied troops began rolling in on Aug. 24, and a day later, church bells tolled. The city was liberated. But preparations for Wednesday's grandiose celebration to mark the anniversary rekindled the memory of another Paris: on its knees and set to unleash its fury.

"There's so much that the French had been bottling up in hatred of their enemy," said David Wingeate Pike, a British World War II expert at the American University of Paris. "Paris had come to a humiliation it could never imagine before."

The average Parisian lost 44 pounds during the Nazi occupation, which began June 14, 1940, he said.

In those dire times, the elegant Jardin des Tuileries was covered with potato patches, and rabbit hutches replaced flower pots on apartment balconies to provide the prime ingredient for a coveted stew.

"Paris was starving, without lights, without bread, without clothes," recalled 80-year-old Madeleine Riffaud, a member of the underground Resistance at the time.

On July 23, 1944, Riffaud code-named Rainer volunteered to kill a Nazi to avenge the murder of a friend and "to show Parisians you can kill the occupier in broad daylight at 3 o'clock on a Sunday afternoon," she said in an interview.

Not quite 20, she shot to death a "handsome officer" walking on the Solferino Bridge, near the Orsay train station today the famous Musee d'Orsay.

"I killed that man, but I had no hate for him, I assure you," she said. "I was afraid."

Riffaud, arrested, tortured then freed in a prisoner exchange, was among a minority actively working to subvert the Nazis. But her action was a sign of the rising fever taking hold within the underground and on the streets of Paris.

On July 14, nine days before Riffaud took aim, 100,000 people rallied in the streets, some singing the "Marseillaise," France's national anthem. For the first time, French police did not intervene.

There are no solid figures on how many people belonged to the Resistance, with its many clandestine, even rival, networks. Pike, the historian, said a widely accepted ballpark figure is 100,000 Resistance members nationwide in 1943.

But small acts of resistance were part of everyday life.

Josette Maulet, 10 years old in 1944, remembered helping her mother listen to clandestine radio broadcasts.

"When my mother listened, I sang in the hallway so our collaborationist neighbor couldn't hear," Maulet said. The lady next door was known to consort with Nazi soldiers, she explained.

After the liberation, many women who had trysts with Nazi occupiers were paraded through the streets, their hair shorn to shame them and swastikas painted on their foreheads underscoring French anger at those who collaborated.

Maulet recalls the ration tickets and long lines needed to obtain meager portions of food. The social order was turned on its head, with children and laborers given larger portions than white-collar workers.

Not everyone suffered to the same degree. A flourishing black market assured food and fineries for those who could afford it. The occupiers, meanwhile, helped themselves to everything.

And Paris was still the City of Lights, despite it all, with fashion-conscious mademoiselles resorting to "bottled stockings," a special dye painted on the legs, to replace their ragged silk hose.

Food became yet scarcer after the U.S.-led Allied invasion of Normandy on June 6, 1944 D-Day with Parisians deprived of the staples that had trickled in from the Normandy countryside.

But the arrival of the Allies on French soil was, above all, a source of hope and a clarion call for Parisians to rise up. Orders for an insurrection went out from an underground Resistance bunker in southern Paris on Aug. 18. A day later, police officers in civilian clothes took over their headquarters. On Aug. 20, Paris City Hall was occupied.

Parisians rose to the cause because "the occupation was shameful," said retired Col. Maurice Courdesses, a veteran of the 2nd French Armored Division, which helped liberate Paris along with the 4th American Infantry Division. "This shame had to be washed away."

But a simpler reason provided the edge for revolt.

"The mental reaction of people is guided by their stomachs," Courdesses said. "When they saw the landings, they saw the end of deprivation."

http://a.abcnews.com/images/autowirestory/AP/PAR10508221533.jpeg'>

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/World/ap20040822_903.html

Guest imported_Tesseract

sorry, private messaging is a disabled feature. use the email button on his profile or send him a white pigeon

Originally posted by EyeforAnEYE

On a related note, I have been watching Band Of Brothers again for the 3rd time. This has to be one of the best movie/show whatever it may be, ever.

i couldn't agree with more. i've watched the series a couple of times myself.

On a related note, I have been watching Band Of Brothers again for the 3rd time. This has to be one of the best movie/show whatever it may be, ever.

Agreed. My only complaint was that it barely even mentions anyone else's involvement in the war, apart from when they rescue the British troops. But I guess that wasn't the point. In which case, I have no complaint. Carry on......

*It's my life ambition to make a huge, epic 30 part series better than Band of Brothers. Just thought I'd share.....

Guest KING BLING

After the liberation, many women who had trysts with Nazi occupiers were paraded through the streets, their hair shorn to shame them and swastikas painted on their foreheads underscoring French anger at those who collaborated

Guest Pilau Hands

On July 23, 1944, Riffaud code-named Rainer volunteered to kill a Nazi to avenge the murder of a friend and "to show Parisians you can kill the occupier in broad daylight at 3 o'clock on a Sunday afternoon," she said in an interview.

Not quite 20, she shot to death a "handsome officer" walking on the Solferino Bridge, near the Orsay train station today the famous Musee d'Orsay.

Rainer ain't no joke.

Did Paris even want to be freed? lol, sorry, that’s a tasteless joke, I guess.

Band of Brothers…someone tell me why I haven’t bought the DVD set yet! I’ve watched each episode at least four times. Yo, Dazzle, if you make that movie, I’ll be best boy, or key grip, or something else that I don’t know the meaning of.

Originally posted by Weapon X

Band of Brothers…someone tell me why I haven’t bought the DVD set yet! I’ve watched each episode at least four times. Yo, Dazzle, if you make that movie, I’ll be best boy, or key grip, or something else that I don’t know the meaning of.

Fuck that dogg, you'll be cast as the crazy brown soldier who jumps on grenades, runs straight in to German trenches, and generally just fucks shit up on a grand scale......

I haven't decided if you live yet ;)

Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle

Fuck that dogg, you'll be cast as the crazy brown soldier who jumps on grenades, runs straight in to German trenches, and generally just fucks shit up on a grand scale......

I haven't decided if you live yet ;)

If I die, I want it to be something like falling down the stairs, or throwing a grenade into a room through the window, then opening the door before it blows up. Shit, that's been done...well, something real stupid! I'm sure you can think of something.

yo, lens, there was the Free French, but I haven't figured out if they even did anything. From what I've read, de Gaulle really hindered the Free French's plans to do anything.

Originally posted by LENS

Pfffffff......

.....the French

what's the smallest building in the world?

A: museum of French war heros

Yeah... there was no such thing as the french resistence. Let alone the french that fleed France when the Wehrmacht arrived, but were part of the troops that liberated paris as well. I know you're going to say. "Yo dude !!! YO !! I was, like, joking lol ! :lol: :lol:" but if you're really disregarding believing what is true to believe something funnier, you're a fucking idiot.

Archived