Time for a new car stereo. What should i get?

Gunm

okay, for all of you who didn't know already....my car got cleaned out the other night....the greatest loss being my stereo.

So now i am on the hunt for a new stereo. My money range is about $150 give or take. CD, detachable face of course and I was wondering if there was some MP3 compatible shit out there.

C'mon folks, help Lens out...i wanna be able to walk in somewhere and at least have an idea of what to look at.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i bought a sony xplode es

a few years back

it was cheap, and i needed a head unit

bottom line, yea it made music come out of my speakers...

but thats about it

it lacked sound quality

it lacked features

it lacked style

but then again it was under 200 dollars

Originally posted by When

sony xplode are shitty head units

i prefer an alpine or pioneer

some cheaper versions can be had for 150-180

Yeah, what the hell is up with everyone suggesting xplodes. They're pieces of shit. Just head over to your local car audio places with a cd full of all the music you'd ever listen to and pop it in. Equalize everything before you make decisions because chances are they're either at their preset flat, or some idiot came in and fucked around with them. Get whatever one sounds better. Alpines or Pioneers are definately your best bet. After shopping around, and deciding what I actually needed, I ended up getting this for $160 on sale.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/vgn/images/portal/cit_3442/35228DEHP5500MP_big.jpg'>

Very affordable, very high quality without all the frills I didn't need. You can get versions of this with MP3 compatability and some OEL screen that shows mini-movie things (completely pointless, but pretty sweet looking). This deck is coming highly suggested from me.

Guest BIGMETALCIRCUS

i got an xplod with stock everything else in my shitbox. i like it, im cheap. sounds better than a few of my friends cars with hooked up systems.

Originally posted by CILONE/SK

Bullshit. I have the xplode that the face moves and the cd tray comes out like on a computer. I hooked some speakers and a 1000W amp to it and it sounds great and I have never had a problem. I put all my cd's on mp3 format and I have like 3 cd's with 2 thousand songs all together. Best stereo for the money that I saw.

you hooked up a what to it? 1000 watt amp huh

gee i wonder where all your sound comes from

plus if its the sony im thinking of it set you back about 400

so thats a far cry from the 150-200 range sony xplode

and even so, i dont trust headunits that have to many moving parts

take the kenwood chamelions

they break like no other

hmm i have always bought alpine...i had a CD changer from them that lasted through 3 cars and 9yrs reliably and never skipped. as far as the head units, i have an mp3 player/xm radio/cd head unit from alpine. i think it's great, but i don't have much to compare too. i had another one a while back but it was jacked, didn't have it long enough to make a statement on longevity.

the only drawback i see is that they are a bit overpriced.

my brother bought an alpine and the cd player quit working after 1 year. I kinda figured it was a fluke...but I always remembered that. Good to hear you've had good luck with them Ube. I had good luck with my first Pioneer...so I bought another one when I got a new car.

pics small, but its an 8200. I got it for something like $300 less than normal...and no it wasn't hot.

http://www.supremevideo.com/audio/pioneer/caraudio/piodehp8200r.jpg'>

Archived