1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

This is good

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by trackstand, Aug 24, 2005.

1. trackstand

trackstand 12oz Senior Member

This is good

Discussion started by trackstand - Aug 24, 2005

trackstand - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  2. FunktionOne

FunktionOne 12oz Member

FunktionOne - Replied Aug 24, 2005

I like it when people smarter than me voice similar opinions openly.. so I can just go "yeah, that's right!"

FunktionOne - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  3. Orgasm Addict

Orgasm Addict New Jack

Orgasm Addict - Replied Aug 24, 2005

Street art = the annoying little brother to graffiti, haha!

Whoever believes graffiti is boring has not lived in New York or Los Angeles.

Orgasm Addict - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  4. SF1

SF1 12oz Elite Member

SF1 - Replied Aug 24, 2005

It's weird when they try to talk to you at a party or whatever cause you write graff and they think they're in the same game or something, then you ask them who they are and they're like "I do such and such stencils" or "I do such and such wheat past" then you realize that they did their shit over you or one of your boys tags or whatever and you get up in their face ready to fight like "what the fuck are thinking!" and they get all scared like a little girl and it looks like they might piss their pants or something then you almost feel bad cause beating them up would be like hitting a girl so you just scream at them to knock it off. Then they usually "knock it off" all together and you never see their shit again. When really all they had to do was stop going over graff. :shook: :clown3:

SF1 - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  5. Tough Love

Tough Love 12oz Senior Member

Tough Love - Replied Aug 24, 2005

We have to start asking questions and stop accepting everything on the walls as good. We need to ask ourselves why it is important that this is outdoors? Would this be any good if it weren’t? Why does it matter that this is done where and how it was? How is this new and, most importantly, why should I care?

^^^ASK UR SELF THESE QUESTIONS BEFORE MAKING EMO ASS SHITTY STREET ART PLEASE

Tough Love - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  6. shai

shai Dirty Dozen Crew

shai - Replied Aug 24, 2005

whatever...it's here to stay. some of it is impressive but i don't consider it graff. i'm just glad more people are creative and doing things instead of watching tv. that's the new hipster thing to do.

shai - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  7. gren1 bnc

gren1 bnc 12oz Senior Member

gren1 bnc - Replied Aug 24, 2005

say what? what a stupid website. why do we need a website to tell us what people think, when we already know!?

gren1 bnc - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  8. Herbivore

Herbivore 12oz Senior Member

Herbivore - Replied Aug 24, 2005

who said anything about graffiti being boring?

Herbivore - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  9. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Aug 24, 2005

http://www.streetartblows.com/proanti.htm

10. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

Weapon X - Replied Aug 24, 2005

LOL - poignant.

SF1's post is pretty funny, too.

Weapon X - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  11. destroya

destroya 12oz Senior Member

destroya - Replied Aug 24, 2005

i could swear b0b posted this a while back. but yeah, :$:.

destroya - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  12. EnimeeOne

EnimeeOne 12oz Member

EnimeeOne - Replied Aug 24, 2005

I have written long and painfull posts about why most street art is shit.
    The basics of it is this.
    Lets say you make a stencil of Al Pacino shooting a gun or somthing, you make it in the comfort of your own home, then when you take it to the streets of your city it looks the same in a back street or on the busiest intersection in the middle of the city.
    This removes the element of Context , one of the necessary ingredients to call "art" art.
    Now dont get me wrong there are some street artists that have been clever enough to figure this out and place context sensitive artwork around the city. BUT... The majority dont have a clue.
    Therefore 99.9% of street art blows goats.

EnimeeOne - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  13. High Priest

High Priest 12oz Elite Member

High Priest - Replied Aug 24, 2005

Hey, let's be honest here - most of you would suck regardless if you were doing graffiti or street art (What's the distinct seperation there again?). The issue isnt so much that all street art sucks, or that the medium make's it any less worth while. It's an issue of pref. I see far more shitty handstyle's and poorly painted throw's and pieces all over LA then i do poster's or stencil's and id much rather have the people that lack can control putting up things that can be easily torn down or written over.

*By the way, if you walk around deaming everything you do "art" you might as well get a bowl cut and start styling that shit to the side.

*Sorry for typo's, Get butthurt.

High Priest - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  14. EnimeeOne

EnimeeOne 12oz Member

EnimeeOne - Replied Aug 24, 2005

Yeah man fair call.
    The seperation is that one is created on the spot reflecting its context directly.. eg back street paint as long as you want, Subway system paint for 5 mins no more.
    Yes sure it is a matter of preference but Im assuming im discussing this with other writers therefore I am posting with a particular audience in mind.
    If I was to address this shit to everyone, without trying to piss anyone off, it would be a different story all together.
    On the art subject, Now I know you Yanks (im assuming your american) throw around the term "art fag" like its going out of fasion, but think about it. Some kid creeping into a train yard, In order to do this he has watched security for hours if not days to figure the place out. He is now tresspassing in a place that most terrorists would have wet dreams over, and what does he do .. Pulls out 6 tins of paint and starts painting a fuckin picture.
    Lets call things for what they are mate, this hyperthetical kid is not a thug or gangster as some would like to think. He is creating art!
    Now just because I acknolegde I am participating in this artform doesnt mean I want to grow a beard, wear trucker hats and flip flops and exhibit my shit with people standing around drinking wine and eating crackers and cheese!! Far from it.

EnimeeOne - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  15. MrChupacabra

MrChupacabra 12oz Loyalist

MrChupacabra - Replied Aug 24, 2005

fucking awesome.

MrChupacabra - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages: