~ This is getting out of hand... RIAA

-Rage-

Don't bitch (yet), just read it.

In a recent article from the Washington Press...

http://www.boycott-riaa.com/article/print/9301

Music Industry Targets Even Computer-Less

Posted by in Industry News on December 3, 2003 at 7:32 PM

By TED BRIDIS, AP Technology Writer

WASHINGTON - The recording industry has filed 41 more lawsuits against computer users in at least 11 states it said were caught illegally distributing songs over the Internet, continuing its aggressive campaign against online music piracy.

The latest copyright suits this week bring to 382 filed since the Washington-based Recording Industry Association of America announced its legal campaign nearly six months ago.

The group's president, Cary Sherman, said the group has no plans to cut back, even as media coverage over the continuing lawsuits wanes.

"People who engage in illegal file-sharing should be aware, whether or not they hear about it this month, that doesn't mean the enforcement program has been reduced in any way," Sherman said. "If anything it will be increased."

The recording industry is monitoring popular Internet services where computer users can download song files, searching for people illegally distributing the largest music collections. Court-issued subpoenas compel Internet providers to identify their customers linked to the online accounts used to download songs.

Among the RIAA's recent targets is retiree Ernest Brenot, 79, of Ridgefield, Wash., who wrote in a handwritten note to a federal judge that he does not own a computer nor can he operate one.

Brenot was accused of illegally offering for download 774 songs by artists including Vanilla Ice, U2, Creed, Linkin Park and Guns N' Roses.

Brenot's wife, Dorothy, said she and her husband were stunned by the claims, offended at the suggestion they listened to such music. Brenot was targeted in the previous round of 80 suits the recording organization filed late in October.

Brenot and her husband said their son-in-law briefly added Internet service to their own cable television account while living with the couple because Comcast Cable Communications Inc. said it would add a surcharge to send separate bills to the same mailing address.

"There's a mistake in this case," Dorothy Brenot said. "We're innocent in all of this, but I don't know how we're going to prove it."

The recording industry said Wednesday that it has reached financial settlements against at least 220 computer users. Defense lawyers familiar with some of the cases have said penalties ranged from $2,500 to $7,500 each.

Boo to the fucking urns

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by sans sheriff

Among the RIAA's recent targets is retiree Ernest Brenot, 79, of Ridgefield, Wash., who wrote in a handwritten note to a federal judge that he does not own a computer nor can he operate one.

you know this dude rocks out to guns and roses

you think thats out of hand? better hope this doesnt succeed here, cause the RIAA will be jumping to do just the same in the US.

Top court hears pitch for tariff on web use

Last Updated Wed, 03 Dec 2003 12:37:20

OTTAWA - Internet users will have to pay more for access if Canada's music composers and publishers convince the Supreme Court of Canada to add a tariff on web use.

The Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada (SOCAN) is in court on Wednesday arguing that internet providers should hand over millions of dollars toward royalties for pirated music.

The tariff would be essentially a tax of up to 10 per cent on the ISPs' annual revenues.

The ISPs say they shouldn't be held responsible for what users post on their websites.

"We're simply the pipe between them and our subscribers," said Jay Kerr-Wilson, a lawyer with the Canadian Cable Television Association.

Statistics Canada says ISPs reported revenues of more than $1.25 billion in 2001.

A new tariff would be passed on to the customers, the industry says.

SOCAN collected and distributed more than $120 million in royalties from sales of blank CDs, DVDs and cassettes, and annual fees from bars, restaurants, broadcasters and other places where music is used.

If the Supreme Court agrees to impose the new tariff, the legal precedent could open the door for other associations to lobby for similar payments for software, photographs and works of literature that have been put on the web.

SOCAN is also asking the court to decide if ISPs can be held accountable for web content hosted in other countries but accessed by Canadians. A consortium of ISPs from Australia, Europe and the United States are attending the hearing.

Written by CBC News Online staff

Yeah.. but imagine the legal costs of trying to defend yourself

over something like this. The RIAA has a team of high paid layers

who are just drooling over this. They probably know that they will be

emplyed for ever with this case. There's no end to file sharing and

no end to the greed of record companies. Bloodsuckers!

http://www.duffzone.co.uk/grabpics/lawyer.gif'>

Originally posted by BOZACK

uh...is it bad that i have over 2500 music files?

oh well

My friend has 26,000 on multiple hard drives... of course, he's Asian, rich, attends a really good college and doesn't have much of a social life outside of Salsa Dancing, drinking Hypnotiq, and knowing about more music than anyone I've met in my entire life...

If you could crate dig on the internet... this kid'd be... someone who crate digs a whole bunch. yeah.

yup thats that.

I just disable the goddamn sharing in kazza lite if i have to or use soulseek. when i aint using my computer it aint connected to the net. Plus you aint gotta delete just download and move to a different folder, they then have to hack your computer to know whether or not you had more.

Originally posted by robotripp

yup thats that.

I just disable the goddamn sharing in kazza lite if i have to or use soulseek. when i aint using my computer it aint connected to the net. Plus you aint gotta delete just download and move to a different folder, they then have to hack your computer to know whether or not you had more.

Exactly. Deleting is pointless. Or you could just use Kazaa Lite K++ (with RIAA IP range-blocker) or SLSK (and turn on the option that makes it so you only share with people on your buddy list). And so all you SLSKers know, the RIAA has gotten to it. Not to worry, though, if you only share with buddies. Just make sure not to put pUnKr0x0r69 or dAnc1n9quEEn on your list.