Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

this dvd will self destruct

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by WatcherSB, Nov 12, 2004.

1. WatcherSB

WatcherSB Junior Member

the DVD release of a new holiday movie starring Penelope Cruz and Susan Sarandon will be part of an experiment that may provide clues about how movies will be distributed in the future.

The DVD release comes with a hitch: The $4.99 disc will be coated with a chemical that makes the movie unplayable 48 hours after the package has been opened.

The point of the self-destructing discs? Producers of "Noel" hope they will help whip up preliminary buzz for the film, while preserving sales of a permanent DVD that will be released later.

Walt Disney Co. is using the same technology, known as Flexplay, on a trial basis in certain markets around the country, offering disposable versions of already-released movies for consumers who don't want the hassle of returning a rental DVD.

That logic is shifting, especially as the industry confronts a rise in bootleg DVDs and illicit online movie trading. "We are looking at ways to get content into the home much sooner," says Mitch Singer, executive vice president for the digital policy group at Sony Pictures Entertainment, a unit of Japan's Sony Corp. "When we figure out a way to get content into the home securely, we'll consider new business models."

Selling a movie into the home on a pay-per-view basis around the same time it hits theaters is the most likely first change, once studios find a piracy-proof way to do it. The idea is to appeal to those who like to see new movies but can't make it to the theaters -- say, parents with young children. To maximize revenue and avoid cannibalizing box-office sales, studios would likely sell such movies at a high price -- perhaps the cost of six to eight adult movie tickets. But at that price, the movie would need to deliver the value of a big Hollywood blockbuster like "Spider-Man," not a modest independent film such as "Noel."

Starting next month, the disposable DVD version of "Noel" will be featured on Amazon.com Inc.'s home page. And moviegoers at 500 Regal theaters around the country will get a chance for a sneak preview: Minidiscs featuring a short clip of the movie will come free with the purchase of any large drink.

Copyright © 2004 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Whole story at http://pf.channel.aol.com/moneytoday/wsj/h...est/noeldvd.adp

2. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

it wont fly. sales of those discs will be shit
    AND mostly..... the hardware makers will probably
    say something like 'playing these discs will void your warranty, sucker!'

3. iloveboxcars

iloveboxcars 12oz Royalty

also, when the article was posted about a year or something ago there were many concerns about waste management. they companies claimed these disks would be recyclable but the enviromentalists (or whoever) said that doesn't mean anything, hardly anyone would would recycle it if their community doesnt have seperate recycle bins outside of their house.

and i think they are right.

i know im not buying that shit.

4. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

so you have 48 hrs to rip the dvd to a computer and burn a non self destructing dvd.

5. GamblersGrin

GamblersGrin Elite Member

remember when the chief from inspector gadget would blow up. yeah. what a rip off.

[​IMG]

6. WatcherSB

WatcherSB Junior Member

^just what I was thinking............

7. Herbivore

Herbivore Senior Member

some online dvd rental companies are already doing this... so that you never have to worry about the hassle of returning anything...

* and now that i finish reading the original post like i should have in the first place, i realize that my info has already been posted.....

8. Herbivore

Herbivore Senior Member

also... that's insane. we're talking anywhere from $50 to $80 here..... who the hell would pay that for a movie?!

9. WatcherSB

WatcherSB Junior Member

I think there are some movie/game companies working on these dvds to perfect this idea so one day all movie/game rental stores have dvds that cant either be copied or stop working.

10. spectr

spectr Guest

this has been around for a while i got one of those dvds about a year ago it fucked up before 48 hours was over shit sucked but i really dont see these going into mass production.

11. fermentor666

fermentor666 Veteran Member

This will fly like DIVX (not the software) players did.

Stop the MPAA.

12. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

13. Intangible

Intangible 12oz Legend

seems like the shit could fuck up a dvd player....fuck that.

14. WatcherSB

WatcherSB Junior Member

yes it could like right when the dvd stops working

maybe lawsuits will happen from this.............

15. MOOGLE?

MOOGLE? 12oz Loyalist

?? dont know why but it makes me think of keith harring's work for iehp..

yea those dvd thing suck.. mine lasted about 22 hours