This baby cant feel pain (bizarro)

RumPuncher

source

• ELK RIVER, Minn. - Gabby Gingras was about a day old when a nurse pricked her
    heel to draw blood — a sting that makes most newborns howl. Gabby slept through it.

What a good baby, her parents thought.

When Gabby teethed, she gnawed on her fingers until they were bloody. One day, as
    her father massaged her gums with his finger, she bit him, hard. When he
    reflexively yanked his finger back, one of Gabby’s teeth came with it. She didn’t cry.

When it comes to pain, she never does.

for real.... GO READ THIS ARTICLE>

I've imagined things this bizarre but never

thought it could actually be for real.

And if the baby cant feel pain, does that

mean that all her touch sences are dull too?

strange times we're living in.

oh wait.....

• She found an article in a dental journal about treating symptoms similar to
    Gabby’s. The children described in the article had bitten their fingers and tongue,
    just like Gabby. It described five types of hereditary sensory autonomic neuropathy.
    The first four included symptoms that Gabby didn’t have, such as mental
    retardation.

Type 5, however, blocked pain sensation, but didn’t cause mental retardation. Type 5
    sufferers also retain their other nerve senses — heat, cold, vibration and the
    ability to perceive movement, which is how you know your foot just pressed on the gas
    pedal even though you can’t see it.

A nerve biopsy confirmed that Gabby, then just 12 months old, had HSAN Type 5.
    Steve and Trish finally knew why their daughter was hurting herself.

isn't that fucked up?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i know a kid like this. he'll cut or burn himself on request. its pretty messed up, apparently he had to go in for surgery and they had to give him some sort of medication to make him temporarily able to percieve pain so if they hurt him he could tell them about it. i wouldnt believe it if i didnt know this dude.

Originally posted by <KEY3>

I'd be sending the kid to Live with Professor Xavier at his school for gifted children (mutants)

:lol: i would not have gotten this until the other day. I finally saw the X-Men movie, it sucked!*

*my opinion.</span>

I knew a kid like that, my brother's friend's youngest brother. He would never cry, no matter what happened to him. I remember he was over at our house (this kid used to bring his brothers over when he was looking after them) and he's riding his tricycle super fast and wipes out, flips over the bars and hits the concrete hard, then skids a little. All he did was kind of flinch, and then just brushed it off. Shit, that would have mde me cry....

His other brother was the complete opposite. He'd cry if the wind was blowing to hard....

When Gabby was teething, “she would chew on her fingers until they were bloody,” her father, Steve Gingras, recalled. “She would chew on her tongue like bubble gum.”

AHHHHHHH!!!! thats fucking disgusting!!

going through high school is going to suck for her. shes gonna be all scarred up and wearing a helmet and knees pads and goggles and shit. the kids are all going to think shes retarded, but she just grew up without being able to feel pain. how fucked up is that?

^ disgusting?

stoopid.

it's a disorder.

do you call people with cancer disgusting too?

and i doubt she'll need protection from herself when she's old enough to understand what her body is like..

the neurological system can be a crazy thing..

the nerves that sense pain are not the same as the ones that sense other things, like touch and heat..as the article says..

you know though, for every baby like this, there's one somewhere that is in constant pain for no apparent reason other than phantom sensations

(such as the ones experienced by people who have lost limbs, yet can still feel pain in them)

very interesting stuff..

shitty.

i guess someone could learn to live without pain but phantom sensations for no reason would blow goats. I was reading about some phantom experiences in amputees and I guess if they imagine flexing and relaxing the missing limb it tends to ease the pain. Weird stuff.

Originally posted by !@#$%

^ disgusting?

stoopid.

it's a disorder.

do you call people with cancer disgusting too?

and i doubt she'll need protection from herself when she's old enough to understand what her body is like..

hold your ponies, sister. i wasnt calling her disgusting, i was calling the fact that she chews on her tongue 'like bubble-gum' disgusting. i dont call cancer patients disgusting, but shit that happens to them is pretty gnarly too, ie having a boob chopped off, etc.

i was talking about the effects, not the little girl. they (the effects) are so fucked up that i doubt her life will be pleasant. case in point, the lady the parent met who was in a wheelchair without any fucking legs. you think that sounds fun?

I dont think she'll have to wear the gear

when she gets older. The article mentioned one

other person who was in a wheel chair but I'd

bet that her parents didn't learn what what wrong

with their child untill it was almost too late.

Luckily these people know their daughter and

will be able to keep their eyes open for signs of injury.

Certainly there could be some good betting opourtunities.

/going to hell for that one

Originally posted by rental

i was talking about the effects, not the little girl. they (the effects) are so fucked up that i doubt her life will be pleasant

i know a LOT about disease.

calling the effects of a disease disgusting strikes me as ignorant.

disease is a part of life

a horrific one.

i would hope cases like that would inspire empathy, not disgust.

i say this partly because many years ago, a relative of mine was called "disgusting" by a woman who only observed what was wrong with her hands..it was an extremely thoughtless comment, and it hurt her feelings deeply..the last way she would want to be thought of is disgusting. and no, her life isn't easy, and although it is sometimes pleasant, it isn't usually..so calling her symptoms disgusting just makes the shit that much harder to deal with..

it's also presumptive of you to assume her life won't be pleasant.

people can overcome shit like that

I don't like the term "owned" very much. It makes me think of slaves, and I am a slave. Come to think of it I don't much like the expression "gettin brains" either. Makes me think of crackhead zombies suckin dick an shit.

Whoops thread hijack

Originally posted by !@#$%

i know a LOT about disease.

calling the effects of a disease disgusting strikes me as ignorant.

disease is a part of life

a horrific one.

i would hope cases like that would inspire empathy, not disgust.

i say this partly because many years ago, a relative of mine was called "disgusting" by a woman who only observed what was wrong with her hands..it was an extremely thoughtless comment, and it hurt her feelings deeply..the last way she would want to be thought of is disgusting. and no, her life isn't easy, and although it is sometimes pleasant, it isn't usually..so calling her symptoms disgusting just makes the shit that much harder to deal with..

it's also presumptive of you to assume her life won't be pleasant.

people can overcome shit like that

yes, maybe my sort of thinking in people who call these things disgusting makes living in these situations all that much more hard. maybe it is ignorant. do i still think a little girl chewing on her hands and tongue until they are bloody and the red spit dribbling everywhere is gross? yes. would i cringe if i saw this for the first time without having any warning? probably. why? because i have a grasp on the concept of pain that she doesnt, and while the blood and raw fingers may have no negative significance in this little girl's mind, it does in mine. in other words, if my mouth were full of blood, i would cringe because i would feel a lot of pain, so in my mind, the sight is something i think of as gruesome. would i point and laugh at her in public? no. if her parents were having any trouble because she'd got in an accident i'd have no problem helping them even if it made late for work or something. i work with kids, ive worked with disabled kids. do i treat them differently? not really, i know all my kids and they all have specific things i need to watch out for whether they have some disorder or not. and maybe this sounds ignorant, too, but i feel like the part of me that triggers the disgust in her disease IS what triggers my empathy. i mean, come on, to be a mom who smells her daughters burning flesh because she cant feel the pain from heat would make me cry.

is it really that presumptive for me to doubt her life will be pleasant? i know people overcome things. happens all the time. but usually all the shit they have to crawl through to get there sucks. im sure that the lady in the wheelchair plays with her kids, makes dinner for her family, and laughs with her little girl, but i also think there are probably days she cried her fucking eyes out because of the way boys looked at her, the way she may have learned to walk when she lost one leg, and that her kid might go through the same thing. so to my standards, even if it sounds ignorant as hell, it does not sound pleasant. however, there is the fact that everyone has something they have to deal with that causes them shit, and maybe you think i overlook that. a lot of them to me dont seem so cruelly physical.

im sorry if my outlook seems ignorant to you, to me it just seems real.

unbreakable.jpg

I stay Unbreakable like David Dunn, the Philly native son

You Mr. Glass on mics, the jaded one

Check out this ill crew's onslaught

Your career is a Hot97 afterthought

It's not my fault the asphalt in the past fought

Now, who's that kid from Space Mountain?

Lookin' like an accountant, highly touted, off and on again

Really, hip-hop needs to Take 5 like Donovan

I end my quote nice with bong hits and cryin' a bit

Send me the fuck back to Harlemin, please

Or release ECs from the hospital for joint disease

See the weasel on Da Vinci's easel

With the Mona Lisa oil paintin's, shavin's and scrapin's

Combined with championship trophy engravin's

Clowns rock from foul grounds to out of bounds

You couldn't see my ass if I was in hospital gowns

ungh... I think you'd still bruise and break shit.

The article said 'what if you strain your ankle but cant feel it

so you keep walking around on it anyways.'

You could really fuck shit up inside you.

but yeah.... I'd be like Homer fighting Drederick Tatum. (and catching canon balls while drunk)

i always wanted a funny tattoo on my cock. i'm not sure what exactly but i bet i could come up with something good if i really thought about it. i'm just way too scared to inflict that much pain on my wee wee! fuck that! but, if i had a disease like this baby i would most def have a funny cock-tattoo.

that's a shame.. a lot of people with this condition don't end up living past early adulthood. just imagine if all the cues your body provided you about when you're uncomfortable just weren't there. even little things like body posture can be dangerous to your overall health.

neurobiology is interesting shit for sure

Archived