Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

This baby cant feel pain (bizarro)

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by <KEY3>, Apr 27, 2004.

1. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

source

• ELK RIVER, Minn. - Gabby Gingras was about a day old when a nurse pricked her
      heel to draw blood — a sting that makes most newborns howl. Gabby slept through it.

What a good baby, her parents thought.

When Gabby teethed, she gnawed on her fingers until they were bloody. One day, as
      her father massaged her gums with his finger, she bit him, hard. When he
      reflexively yanked his finger back, one of Gabby’s teeth came with it. She didn’t cry.

When it comes to pain, she never does.

for real.... GO READ THIS ARTICLE>
    I've imagined things this bizarre but never
    thought it could actually be for real.
    And if the baby cant feel pain, does that
    mean that all her touch sences are dull too?

strange times we're living in.

oh wait.....

• She found an article in a dental journal about treating symptoms similar to
      Gabby’s. The children described in the article had bitten their fingers and tongue,
      just like Gabby. It described five types of hereditary sensory autonomic neuropathy.
      The first four included symptoms that Gabby didn’t have, such as mental
      retardation.

Type 5, however, blocked pain sensation, but didn’t cause mental retardation. Type 5
      sufferers also retain their other nerve senses — heat, cold, vibration and the
      ability to perceive movement, which is how you know your foot just pressed on the gas
      pedal even though you can’t see it.

A nerve biopsy confirmed that Gabby, then just 12 months old, had HSAN Type 5.
      Steve and Trish finally knew why their daughter was hurting herself.

isn't that fucked up?

2. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

I'd be sending the kid to Live with Professor Xavier at his school for gifted children (mutants)

3. Overtime

Overtime Dirty Dozen Crew

that is awesome...

4. snowkid

snowkid Member

i know a kid like this. he'll cut or burn himself on request. its pretty messed up, apparently he had to go in for surgery and they had to give him some sort of medication to make him temporarily able to percieve pain so if they hurt him he could tell them about it. i wouldnt believe it if i didnt know this dude.

5. DETO

DETO 12oz Loyalist

:lol: i would not have gotten this until the other day. I finally saw the X-Men movie, it sucked!*

*my opinion.
    </span>

6. Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle Veteran Member

I knew a kid like that, my brother's friend's youngest brother. He would never cry, no matter what happened to him. I remember he was over at our house (this kid used to bring his brothers over when he was looking after them) and he's riding his tricycle super fast and wipes out, flips over the bars and hits the concrete hard, then skids a little. All he did was kind of flinch, and then just brushed it off. Shit, that would have mde me cry....

His other brother was the complete opposite. He'd cry if the wind was blowing to hard....

7. rental

rental Dirty Dozen Crew

AHHHHHHH!!!! thats fucking disgusting!!
    going through high school is going to suck for her. shes gonna be all scarred up and wearing a helmet and knees pads and goggles and shit. the kids are all going to think shes retarded, but she just grew up without being able to feel pain. how fucked up is that?

8. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

^ disgusting?
    stoopid.
    it's a disorder.
    do you call people with cancer disgusting too?
    and i doubt she'll need protection from herself when she's old enough to understand what her body is like..

the neurological system can be a crazy thing..

the nerves that sense pain are not the same as the ones that sense other things, like touch and heat..as the article says..

you know though, for every baby like this, there's one somewhere that is in constant pain for no apparent reason other than phantom sensations
    (such as the ones experienced by people who have lost limbs, yet can still feel pain in them)

very interesting stuff..

9. sneak

sneak Guest

http://www2.rincondelvago.com/ocio/television/dibujos_animados/southpark/img/kyle.jpg'>

"kick the baby...."

10. villain

villain Veteran Member

shitty.
    i guess someone could learn to live without pain but phantom sensations for no reason would blow goats. I was reading about some phantom experiences in amputees and I guess if they imagine flexing and relaxing the missing limb it tends to ease the pain. Weird stuff.

11. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

12. rental

rental Dirty Dozen Crew

hold your ponies, sister. i wasnt calling her disgusting, i was calling the fact that she chews on her tongue 'like bubble-gum' disgusting. i dont call cancer patients disgusting, but shit that happens to them is pretty gnarly too, ie having a boob chopped off, etc.

i was talking about the effects, not the little girl. they (the effects) are so fucked up that i doubt her life will be pleasant. case in point, the lady the parent met who was in a wheelchair without any fucking legs. you think that sounds fun?

13. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

I dont think she'll have to wear the gear
    when she gets older. The article mentioned one
    other person who was in a wheel chair but I'd
    bet that her parents didn't learn what what wrong
    with their child untill it was almost too late.
    Luckily these people know their daughter and
    will be able to keep their eyes open for signs of injury.

Certainly there could be some good betting opourtunities.
    /going to hell for that one

14. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

i know a LOT about disease.
    calling the effects of a disease disgusting strikes me as ignorant.
    disease is a part of life
    a horrific one.
    i would hope cases like that would inspire empathy, not disgust.

i say this partly because many years ago, a relative of mine was called "disgusting" by a woman who only observed what was wrong with her hands..it was an extremely thoughtless comment, and it hurt her feelings deeply..the last way she would want to be thought of is disgusting. and no, her life isn't easy, and although it is sometimes pleasant, it isn't usually..so calling her symptoms disgusting just makes the shit that much harder to deal with..

it's also presumptive of you to assume her life won't be pleasant.
    people can overcome shit like that

15. DETO

DETO 12oz Loyalist

<span style='color:pink'>