things that appreciate

GREENOJOS

Lately I've been thinking about different ways to make money, good investments and other things that will make for a better future. What are some of the things you guys are putting money into that you feel will appreciate in value as opposed to losing it's value/worth?

Me:

-Looking into buying a house.

-401k plan at work.

-stock options at work.

-i've been talking with my stock broker about different bonds and other long term investments.

-i plan on looking into purchasing some land some time down the line.

...to name a few.

let's here it.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

ive been checking out govt house auctions myself. you can get a house for 1000 dollars because somebody didnt pay their taxes. turn that shit over for 20.

well, you get the idea.

on a smaller scale, there are some really cheap diamonds on ebay. stuff of this size only helps to pay the bills though, it doesnt really help alot in the long run.

There's this shitty, delapidated gas-station a few blocks from my house, and it sits right on a main road running through the upper-class neighborhood... This particular station does ZERO business, as it's flanked by an Esso on one opposing corner and a 7-11 on the other.

Also, on the lot adjacent to this shitty station, there's an old garage that shut down about 5 years ago, and the building is just kickin' there collecting dust.

If i had the cash / if i wasn't so afraid to take a loan out, I'd demolish the station and the old garage, repave the parking lot (which is fucking massive in comparison to the Esso and 7-11) and put up a Tim Hortons (Drive-Thru, baby). It would make a fucking killing - it's on a main road that connects to one of the major in-city highways, and would be the only Timmy's within a good 5 or 6 km radius. Plus, it's right smack-dab between upper-class and upper-middle class hoods.

I know it'll happen sooner or later, and some schumck will be making all of my "should-be" cash.

Gawddamn.

if you wanna redevelop a ex-gas station site you better have the resources to sit on the property while its vacant for 10 or so years. alot of those places have huge soil contamination and require lots of money to clean up. theres dozens of them out here...prime real estate...but it cant be redeveloped yet.

i was thinking of getting a loan (later on in life.. way too young now of course) and building a Mc Donalds store, as where i live there arent heaps for a city, until i found out they cost around (AU)$2 million to start up.

you need money to make money.

Land is a good investment.

If you're going to bonds route, there are a lot of different bonds you can get, you can invest your money into multiple bonds to gain more interest but it's hard to make a lot of money off bonds. They are good for if you have enough money that you can put some away without having to worry about needing it until the bond is done. Then every year you will get some money for basically doing nothing.

But if you get bonds, don't go through a broker because you will have to pay a fee/percentage to them.

Originally posted by McPhoo@Feb 28 2005, 06:50 AM

There's this shitty, delapidated gas-station a few blocks from my house, and it sits right on a main road running through the upper-class neighborhood... This particular station does ZERO business, as it's flanked by an Esso on one opposing corner and a 7-11 on the other.

Also, on the lot adjacent to this shitty station, there's an old garage that shut down about 5 years ago, and the building is just kickin' there collecting dust.

If i had the cash / if i wasn't so afraid to take a loan out, I'd demolish the station and the old garage, repave the parking lot (which is fucking massive in comparison to the Esso and 7-11) and put up a Tim Hortons (Drive-Thru, baby). It would make a fucking killing - it's on a main road that connects to one of the major in-city highways, and would be the only Timmy's within a good 5 or 6 km radius. Plus, it's right smack-dab between upper-class and upper-middle class hoods.

I know it'll happen sooner or later, and some schumck will be making all of my "should-be" cash.

Gawddamn.

The idea sounds killer, but besides the oil clean up that ese mentioned the other problem would be the cost of the tim hortons franchise...have you looked into that?

My younger cousin sometimes sends over packages full of clothes, from the US which aren't available in my part of the city and i slang them off to people, it dosent turn over a great deal but its enough to make my semesters more bearable.

All Tim Hortons sotres are now owned by the company,a few years back you could have bought one but now your fucked.IFFFFFFF you had the mind to purchase one in the 80/90's you'd be a very rich man now.The company either bought them back or have made it insanly hard to comply with they're demands.

I used to live in the captial of Timmy's and have alot of fam thats in the office.I hear things.

That thing with Tim's is happening now with Second Cup stores.

It turns out that the coperation is making it very hard for individual

store owners to turn a profit so they have to foreclose and the parent

company can buy them up from them. There's some big lawsuits going down.

A 401k is a registered retirement savings plan that your company

can set up for you and they often match your contributions.

Plus you dont get taxed on money going in there, so if you

'pay yourself first' you save the tax. To save $500 after tax

you really need to earn like $750, but with the 401k you dont

get taxed untill later in life, AND there's ways aroundthat too.

here in canada you can take money out of a 401k or RRSP

to use towards the downpayment of your first home WITHOUT

being taxed when you take it out and you have 10 years to

pay it back to yourself without losing your money.

Originally posted by villain+Feb 28 2005, 12:22 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (villain - Feb 28 2005, 12:22 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Stay away from mutual funds.

[/b]

i'm going to go ahead and disagree with this.

<!--QuoteBegin-<KEY3>@Feb 28 2005, 10:45 AM

here in canada you can take money out of a 401k or RRSP

to use towards the downpayment of your first home WITHOUT

being taxed when you take it out and you have 10 years to

pay it back to yourself without losing your money.

That applies to the US as well. You can actully take a loan up to half of your vested balance here w/ no tax penalty for anything you want. Not a bad deal considering the interest rates for these loans are way lower than most loans or credit card PLUS you are paying yourself back that interest.