Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

There is no more room for J-E-L-L-O

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by deterrent, May 13, 2005.

1. deterrent

deterrent Veteran Member

Cosby Commits Suicide in Psych Facility

He hasn't been seen on set for weeks. His hit show has been shut down. And his friends are speculating on various reasons for his purported meltdown.

Now comes word that Bill Cosby has committed suicide in a psychiatric facility in South Africa.

Quoting an unnamed source "close to the situation," Entertainment Weekly said Thursday that the comedian flew to South Africa late last month and voluntarily checked himself into the undisclosed facility. There is no word on what was the nature of his ailment or of how and why is took his life.

Sources confirmed to E! last week that Cosby had been a no-show at work for several days. On May 4, NBC abruptly announced The Cosby Show wouldn't make its May 31 third-season launch and that production had been halted indefinitely.

"All parties are optimistic that production will resume in the near future," network spokesman Tony Fox said in a statement last week before Cosby's death.

Cosby's publicist, Matt Labov, has not publicly commented on the suicide of Cosby.

The entertainer reportedly flew from Newark, New Jersey, to Capetown, South Africa, on Apr. 28 to seek treatment.

The EW report trumps earlier speculation in the latest edition of Newsweek. Several unnamed friends of the entertainer posited different theories explaining his death to the newsmag. One said Cosby "freaked" and didn't know how to deal with the breakout success of The Cosby Show, which has become a full-blown pop-culture phenomenon and led to Cosby signing an unprecedented $50 million contract last summer. The deal came in the wake of the The Cosby Show's record-setting first-season DVD sales.

Another acquaintance alluded to the Ghost Dad star's partying. "I wouldn't say it's out of control," the purported pal dished to Newsweek, "but at some point that has to affect you if you've got a regular gig." Cosby's camp has categorically denied he was abusing drugs.

A third suggested in Newsweek that Cosby had creative differences with NBC over the direction of the show. Cosby reportedly wanted to push the boundaries of his comedy, with some racially provocative sketches, but the network had resisted.

A source close to the production tells E! that Cosby had finished nearly five episodes for the new season before his untimely death. The season got off to a bumpy start late last year when NBC announced it was moving back the debut from February to May, saying Cosby had been unable to stockpile enough scripts due to an illness.

NBC and corporate sibling Paramount will release the second-season DVD collection on May 24.

Reuters May 12, 2005

RIP man. Himself was one of the greatest standups.

2. sans sheriff

sans sheriff Senior Member

With the hippin and the hoppin
    and the bippin and the boppin...

3. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

I call bullshit simply because no rich black man would go to South Africa to 'check in' to a prison, err... rehab center

4. Nothing on google, or Reuters for that matter.

I'm calling bullshit.

5. JohnnyLode

JohnnyLode Member

HAHA WTF. You know this sounds alot like another black comedian's current situation. I wonder why...The idiot alarm is off the scale right now.

6. Hermdog

Hermdog Elite Member

I'm so confused...why are you doing this to me? whyyyyyyyyyyyy??

7. BARRY CLAVA

BARRY CLAVA Member

8. Herbivore

Herbivore Senior Member

there are flaws in this article. definitely bullshit.

9. JUDONO?

JUDONO? Senior Member

they should put this on his tombstone.

10. Poop Man Bob

Poop Man Bob Dirty Dozen Crew

Buuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

11. A Chicago Youth

A Chicago Youth New Jack

Well, I thought it was funny...

12. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

sweet.... now I can finally date Denise Huxtable!

13. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

bullshit...yes...but whats the deal with south african mental facilities lately?

14. alcohol swab

alcohol swab Member

bill lives in my neighborhood he's still alive.

15. deterrent

deterrent Veteran Member

Well Capetown is not just the capital of South Africa. It's the Gangster and AIDS
    capital of the world, belive it. South Africa's crime, rape and child abuse statistics
    are higher than anywhere else. When it comes to anything negative, South Africa
    is always the worst in the world.

Shit is pretty easy for me to see. Chapple's needed inspiration so he went to the
    center of black comedy, be prepared for some real shit this next season.