1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Theory on graffiti getting worse in general...

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by zooyorkcity, Aug 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zooyorkcity

zooyorkcity 12oz Junior Member

Theory on graffiti getting worse in general...

Discussion started by zooyorkcity - Aug 5, 2005

You remember when we all grew up and we had those penmanship workbooks. Actually writing essays instead of typing them out in school. No one is even forced to practice even their handwriting nowadays. I blame it all on the computers... Its pretty sad that all these new kids can't even write their name legible.

In my opinion, its the basis to doing any graffiti. You can copy a piece or throwup to perfection, and then when I see some terrible freehand it just discredits you completely.. At least this is the case in nyc where every generation, the writers just get worse and worse. Shit is going backwards it makes no sense. I guess back in the 80's and 90's we at least knew how to write proportionally... If I didn't know any better, I would think these kids are retarded...

zooyorkcity - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  2. urbanvibration

urbanvibration New Jack

urbanvibration - Replied Aug 5, 2005

i agree.from what ive seen(state your name video)writers like nov york and spot and others just do whack handstyles.there looking over style and fluency and the graffiti basics with handstyles and just doing it,no style,nothing.

but i blame it on the kindergarten teachers.they have the choice to either start the kids writing nice,or just writing period.mine personally just told us to write it dosent matter how just do it.but caligraphy class will help.

urbanvibration - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  3. Verbal Kint

Verbal Kint 12oz Member

Verbal Kint - Replied Aug 5, 2005

ugly graffiti rules -

Verbal Kint - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  4. MAGS156

MAGS156 12oz Senior Member

MAGS156 - Replied Aug 5, 2005

I thought graffitti died in ny in 89?

MAGS156 - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  5. worldoflies

worldoflies 12oz Junior Member

worldoflies - Replied Aug 5, 2005

i have seen some truly awful handwriting from some of the more recent writers to come out in my area. as you say, these guys memorize pieces and throwups by practicing the same outline over and over, but fall flat on their face when they deviate from the script.

some of it is impatience. when me or you were coming up, most writers were starting around age 12 or so. i had a few years to practice on paper before i was able and ready to go out and bomb. by the time i had access to a car and was able to paint over a wide area, highways etc., i had a lot of work under my belt.

many of today's writers are just starting to try their hand at graffiti when they are already in their twenties. they see other writers, often their friends hitting crazy spots and they want to do it too. they aren't going to wait two years while they getting their pencil game up.

a lot of people are into graffiti more for the addrenalin/adventure aspect than the art/craftsmanship aspect. in the past, these people just did tags and throwups that were simple but classic. now these people all want to do pieces and stay up with all the style trends. this leads to a lot of painting by people who really don't care about how their shit looks as long as it gets seen.

finally, the fact that so many people who are wack but are down with the in crowd or follow all the trends get props, especially on the internet takes away any incentive for the new writers to get good. they see the way to sucess in graffiti as being social climbing and scensterism. which it is now. get down with right people and in a year you get taken to more dope spots than you would have found on your own in 10 years. especially if you want to paint trains, this is important.

if you bomb with XXXX from XXX crew, you will come off in magazines, on 12 oz threads etc even if you suck. if your dope but not scene-certified, picture takers will go down the wall and skip your piece, then post the scenester pieces on either side of you on twelve ounce and jockers will repeat their names 15 times down the rest of thread. jesus christ knows ive seen that happen a hundred times on here.

we can complain all day about how graffiti has changed for the worse, but how many people actually go out of their way to show new and young writers what's up? i have given a ridiculous amount of time over the last 5 years or so doing this. but most "good" writers will maybe sign some kids black book at a show and thats it. they only want to paint with guys on their level. that's fine, then you really cant complain about the kids.

worldoflies - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  6. [Flowling.]

[Flowling.] 12oz Junior Member

[Flowling.] - Replied Aug 5, 2005

Wow. Thanks for the heads up, Worlds. I think I can afford a year or two before I hit the streets for sure.

It honestly isn't that long when you think about it.

[Flowling.] - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  7. ODS-1

ODS-1 12oz Elite Member

ODS-1 - Replied Aug 5, 2005

Yeah, graffiti is pretty terrible these days. Is graffiti dead all over the US, or just where I live?

ODS-1 - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  8. Mr. Chad

Mr. Chad 12oz Member

Mr. Chad - Replied Aug 5, 2005

i started ia little after i turned 14. For the past year almost iv just been drawing and practicing painting. And once in a while go out and bomb

Mr. Chad - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  9. Mr. Chad

Mr. Chad 12oz Member

Mr. Chad - Replied Aug 5, 2005

from what i hear graffiti is starting to become trendy?

Mr. Chad - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  10. IRON CHEF

IRON CHEF 12oz Veteran Member

IRON CHEF - Replied Aug 6, 2005

THE "BANDWAGON" HAS BEEN STUCK IN REVERSE
    FOR SOME TIME NOW.

I DON'T EVEN BOTHER BURNING PIECES ANY MORE,
    THERE TRULY UN APPRECIATED BY THE
    NEWJACK MASSES.

I THINK IV'E LET THEM ALL BRAINWASH ME
    INTO THINKING SKILLS AND STYLE AINT SHIT NO MO.

I THINK IF I USED MY WRONG HAND , AND STOCK TIPS
    WITH LARGE SHINES I COULD BE DOWN AGAIN ?

NAAAAAA, FUK EM .

IRON CHEF - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  11. caffeine

caffeine 12oz Member

caffeine - Replied Aug 6, 2005

I wasn't around from the "beginning", nor have I seen graffiti evolve within every part of the world, so I can't honestly say that graffiti has become worse, in general.

I think alot of it has to do with the circumstances that writers have to deal with today. This probably doesnt apply everywhere, but for the most part, I think we all can agree getting up is harder nowadays. With the terrorist watch, new security devices, more knowledgeable cops, and the fact graffiti's being exploited more than ever, one can see how putting up quality work consistently can be a extremely difficult task.

Recently in my area, graffiti become the popular thing suddeny, and obviously shit got hot again. Media started covering it, people got caught, and out of the tons of rubbish, new writers with potential were discovered. Shit is rather cool now, but give it a few months or so, and the real writers and new toys will be out putting in work all over again. I believe its all in cycles.

But then again, one has to take into account that it all depends on where youre from. One could say graffiti is getting shittier in the US big cities, while another could say graffiti is just starting to get crazy in some small country in Africa. Its all in perspective I suppose.

Anyway thats my rant for the day. Sorry if it doest make sense.

caffeine - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  12. MOOGLE?

MOOGLE? 12oz Loyalist

MOOGLE? - Replied Aug 6, 2005

yo yo check my philly hands chopped up la gangsta style b...i gots the 13 after the le ta keep shit gutter naw mean.

MOOGLE? - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  13. ralf deyga

ralf deyga 12oz Senior Member

ralf deyga - Replied Aug 6, 2005

wow we gotta dr phil on graffiti ......just wat we need...

ralf deyga - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  14. useurname

useurname 12oz Member

useurname - Replied Aug 8, 2005

I think its all got to do with what writers see when they are coming up...but then there are those that just don't give a shit.

useurname - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  15. Nutonce

Nutonce 12oz Member

Nutonce - Replied Aug 8, 2005

this is dead i been saying this.

people are just dumb in general these days. everything is going backwards, so graffiti wouldnt be excluded. motherfuckers love ugly graff just because it is there.
    \
    the fans are as retarded as the numbnut who painted it. in short when did quantity mean more than quality. i have no time to waste, and if you suck, stop. your making me look bad and anyone else who knows whats up regarding graff.

have fun with your ugly graffiti while i get cake off the opposite.

Nutonce - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.