the USA gots my money....help..

bodice_ripper

I know this is a massively long shot, but does anyone here know anything about redeeming savings bonds?

I calculated that the little stack of them I have, which I recieved over the years a gifts from relatives in the US, is worth about $1400. I want to redeem them, and since the dollar to euro exchange rate would pretty much wipe them out, I was going to keep them as dollars and order myself a Fender Marcus Miller bass and some other pedals and the like.

But I can't afford to make the trip to the US to redeem them, it would defeat the purpose really.

Does anyone know what I can do? I already went to various government sites, but all the help sections assume you are already in the US...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Tesseract

Visit the american embassy in your city. Personal contact is the only way to get things of that nature done.

Alert!

You can pay hidden interest-rate penalties when you cash in U.S. Government Savings Bonds. Be sure you understand the information in this section before cashing in any more savings bonds.

To redeem a paper Savings Bond, simply take it to a financial institution where you have an account. The basic process is similar to cashing a check. It's easiest if you can deposit the check into your bank account.

It's also possible to redeem a Savings Bond at a bank where you don't have an account; however, you will need to provide identification to prove to the bank that you are the registered owner of the Savings Bond.

Your electronic Savings Bonds can be redeemed online through Treasury Direct.

If you have any difficulty redeeming a Savings Bond, or if you want to redeem a large number of bonds and you already have a list of the bonds that includes serial numbers, you can submit Public Debt Form 1522, Special Form for Request of Payment of Unites States Savings and Retirement Securities Where Use of a Detached Request is Authorized as described in the form's instructions.

from ...

http://www.savings-bonds-alert.com/governm...ings-bonds.html

The U.S. Treasury offers two distinct online services that are both called Treasury Direct. One is for U.S. Savings Bonds (and could be called Savings Bonds Direct). The other is for marketable Treasury securities (T-Bills and T-Notes). Although you'll always know which one we're talking about here, other information sources sometimes confuse the two.

How to open a new Treasury Direct account

In order to open an account, you need the following six pieces of information. Note that there are no citizenship requirements:

* Social Security Number

* Address in the United States

* Driver's license - or, if don't drive, a state ID

* Account (checking or savings) at a bank in the United States - you'll need to know the routing numbers to your account

* Email address

* Web browser that supports 128-bit encryption

from..

http://www.savings-bonds-alert.com/treasur...ury-direct.html

looks like it's not too easy overseas.

Originally posted by Tesseract

Visit the american embassy in your city. Personal contact is the only way to get things of that nature done.

a friend of mine tagged the american embassy in dublin one night when we were out on the booze. he got picked up down the block by an undercover who saw him do it. thankfully the guy ignored the rest of us. they held him for 36 hours and gave him a world of shit. they thought our crew was some sort of terrorist organisation. it was hilarious. can you imagine the cops (irish cops at that) trying to question a fall-down drunk italian about the plans of a terrorist group that doesn't exist? funny stuff

Archived